MDR Adverse Events Assessments - What qualifications are required?

Hi folks,
I'm wondering if anyone can help me find a reference that indicates that a medical background is required to enable an employee to assess if an adverse event is reportable to the FDA or other regulators?
We have this built into our system, but I can't locate the source of the requirement.
Obviously, the person would need to be competent in CFR803 and the other regulations for assessment of reporting and competent in the local QMS procedures, but do they require Medical training / background?
Really appreciate peoples thoughts.
Thanks
T

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
We have this built into our system, but I can't locate the source of the requirement.
I'm not aware of such an official requirement.

Naturally, it should only be a matter of clear definitions in the regulations, and where residual ambiguity persists, a matter of providing simple and practical guidance, if possible with examples. Unfortunately, I can't say that regulators always excel at that.

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
A medical background may be needed (not "required") to determine whether the event met regulatory definitions like "serious" and "may have caused," but once those determination have been made, a medical background is not needed, nor is it required, to determine reportability under any regulations with which I am familiar. Definitely not required by FDA or under the MDD, don't know about the MDR.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
A medical background may be needed (not "required") to determine whether the event met regulatory definitions like "serious" and "may have caused,"
This is what I referred to - it should be possible (I don't dare say "easy") for any averagely intelligent person to make those determinations based solely on the definitions in the regulations, or at most with the aid of official guidance. As far as I can judge it is the case in most instances, but it's quite situation-specific and obviously I only got exposed to a finite range of such situations. Based on regulations and guidance known to me, I can definitely imagine cases where the call is not that straightforward, which leaves some to be desired in regard to existing guidance...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M When to file MDR - Significant Adverse Device Experience 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Z MDR Class Ir deadline (Reusable surgical instruments) EU Medical Device Regulations 11
B MDR equvalent device - can you use a medicine as an equivalent 'device' EU Medical Device Regulations 8
N Harmonized Standards for MDR Certification EU Medical Device Regulations 5
K Is UDI (Unique Device Identifier) symbol mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K EU MDR Annex 1 Chapter III: Information in the Instructions for Use-23.4 (e) the performance characteristics of the device; EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Requirements for MDR Article 22 Systems EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H EU MDR Economic Operator notifications? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M MDR EU Distributor for our CE Mark product in the for Netherlands EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R Declaration of conformity as per EU MDR (2017/745) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
K Class III Kit Box - Are translations mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
B Herbal ingredients MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S MDR GSPR Clause 17 - Software Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N Which EN ISO 17664 version compliance to EU MDR? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 3
D Hospital Decontamination and the MDR - Technical Files, UDI and PMS EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Submission of MDR File - Partner Companies - Computed Tomography (CT) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
B How to classify a medical device based on MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A MDR GSPR Checklist wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Rincewind MDR - GSPR - Annex I - Chapter II EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N EU MDR - Applicability Article 22 Systems and Procedure Packs CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
B EU MDR Perscription product guidance EU Medical Device Regulations 1
cscalise Suggestions for MDR Auditing tools EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Example of statement for procedure pack MDR Article 22? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
H MDD CM, MDR manufacturer. 2020. Is it ok? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M MDR, RED and LVD - Should our device comply with them? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E UK MDR brexit out of sync with EU MDR deadline? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
S MDR Delay - MDD design Change? (before new MDR DOA) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S Class I MDR Article 10 – QMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
dgrainger Medical Device News MDR postponed - link to Official Journal of the European Union (24-4-2020) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Supply Agreement Regarding MDR 2017/745 - Manufacturer-supplier cooperation Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
Ed Panek Medical Device News MDR Delayed 1 year (Posted 4/2020) EU Medical Device Regulations 9
dinaroxentool Former Class I device that is upscaled to IIa if the MDR is delayed EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B FDA-Medical Device Reporting (MDR )procedure compliant with 21CFR section 803 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
J PPE, the MDR and EU 2016/425 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R An indication that the device is a medical device (MDR, Annex 23.2q) - applicable for accessories? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
R Clinical evaluation without clinical data - MDR Article 61(10) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
dgrainger Informational Postponement of MDR - adopted by the Commission - April 2020 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
R Applicability of new non-harmonized standards (MDD/MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
F The EU Drafts Bill to Postpone MDR by a Year (3/2020) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
T Commission proposal being drawn up for postponement for date of application of MDR (2017/745) EU Medical Device Regulations 7
A MDR Article 22 applicability - Legal manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Estimating the benefit-risk ration under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
F Will the EU postpone 2017/745 MDR Implementation - COVID-19 Impact Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 11
Ajit Basrur Physical Address on Product Labels (EU MDR perspective) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B Notified Bodies for Software (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P MDR Rule 10 interpretation - Active Device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
JoCam Certified Body Audit of MDR requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 4
N Label Placement Requirement in MDD/MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Watchcat Anyone had an MDR technical file review/audit yet? EU Medical Device Regulations 13
C MDR - Question around software accesories EU Medical Device Regulations 2