MDR Article 16 Certification of Distributors by a Notified Body?

Hi!

New to this forum, found a lot of useful info by searching but nothing specific to our issue.

Case study: Recently established small family business, primarily focused on distributing a Class IIa medical device in Scandinavia. The product is certified according to MDD until 2024 and thus is a legacy device, currently marketed in other member states. According to the MDCG 2021-25 Guidance on legacy devices, most of the MDR regulations don't apply to distributors of legacy devices, in particular the Article 16 regulations. However, the manufacturer is currently working on the MDR re-certification of the device and thus we as distributors would also be required to follow the complete MDR regulations within about 2 years.

According to the MDR Article 16(4) and MDCG 2021-23 on the certification of distributors:
"... Within the same period of 28 days, the distributor or importer shall submit to the competent authority a certificate, issued by a notified body designated for the type of devices that are subject to activities mentioned in points (a) and (b) of paragraph 2, attesting that the quality management system of the distributor or importer complies with the requirements laid down in paragraph 3."

This seems like a pretty big change in the MDR that distributors will need product-specific certification regarding their quality management system, issued by a Notified Body. Has anybody had any contact with a Notified Body about this process?

How about all you manufacturers out there? Has this come up in your discussions with your distributors?

Any and all comments are welcome! :)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Philip B

Quite Involved in Discussions
I think that Article 16 only applies where the distributor is carrying out any of the activities listed in section 1a-c. If not, then Art. 14 applies. HTH

Thank you for weighing in! My understanding of the MDR related to distributors is the following:
  • Article 14 applies to all distributors. According to MDCG Guidance 2021-25, Article 14(2), last subparagraph and (4)-(6) apply even to distributors of legacy devices in the transition period. These sections have to do with obligations of post-market surveillance.
  • Article 16(1) highlights the cases in which distributors/importers modify a device to such a degree that they must assume obligations of manufacturers.
  • 16(2) specifies that modifications made to the packaging or the accompanying information that are necessary in order to make the device available in a member state shall not be considered modifications according to 16(1). However,
  • 16(3)-(4) specify obligations, additional to Art 14, which distributors/importers must assume if they make modifications according to 16(2).
In summary, for distributors:
- If you don't change anything on the device, only Article 14 applies
- If you translate or repackage, Article 16(3)-(4) apply as well
- If you make more significant changes, according to Art 16(1), than the obligations of manufacturers apply as well.

My interpretation is that many distributors would fall in the middle category and it is highly unclear to me how a distributor should or could fulfill the criteria set out in Art 16(3)-(4). I was wondering if any other distributors here have started to consider that.

Cybel

Involved In Discussions
Hi, if this may help, I've included this flowchart in QTAs with my distributors. At the end, basically none of them is involved in article 16.

Do you translate IFUs/labeling by your own after the manufacturer had delivered the medical devices to you?
Do you repackage the devices (other than for logistic purpose)? flow chart art. 16.png

Hey and thank you for your reply! Since we are doing the translating on behalf of the manufacturer our conclusion was also that Article 16 doesn't apply.
May I also ask: if Art 16 doesn't apply, what is your distributors' position on the need to establish a Quality Management System for a distributor and if they have one, how does it look like?

Cybel

Involved In Discussions
Hey and thank you for your reply! Since we are doing the translating on behalf of the manufacturer our conclusion was also that Article 16 doesn't apply.
May I also ask: if Art 16 doesn't apply, what is your distributors' position on the need to establish a Quality Management System for a distributor and if they have one, how does it look like?
Hi, especially small distributors don't have a certified QMS but have procedures that align their quality system to a certified one (for applicable processes of course, such as control of incoming goods, identification, warehouse management, traceability, vigilance). I evaluate and periodically re-evaluate them basically the same I do for critical suppliers.

Maybe you can help with a different question on Article 16 (1)(a). We want to do a relabeling. Can we also "delete" the manufacturer and replace it with the Importers name incl. the type of work? Such as RELABELER: Company xy? I searched the MDCG documents (2021-23 and 26) and analyzed the MDR Art. 16, but this is not clear to me.
In other words - we are looking for a smart replacement of the former OEM-PLM relationship without slipping into the role of a manufacturer with an outsourced process. The former OEM is not willing to supply the entire Technical Documentation - so this way is not possible either way.

Billy Milly

Involved In Discussions
If you cover (eliminate) any device info (manufacturer, ref, symbols, brands, addresses...), you take on the manufactuter's responsibilities and are responsible for compliance of the device.

Junn1992

Quite Involved in Discussions
According to MDCG 2021-023, it does seem like distributors need to be certified by a NB.

With regards to Article 16, 2(a) and 2(b), they refer to what is considered device modification under article 16 1(c). BUT it does not mean that Article 16 does not apply to the distributor. Read Article 16.1 very carefully.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C MDR 2017/744 Article 22 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Does the MDR article 10 (14) needs to be documented word for word in a Procedure? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R EU MDR Article 22 applicability of medical device with components. EU Medical Device Regulations 4
V MDR – Article 65 – Clinical investigations on minors EU Medical Device Regulations 6
P MDR Article 27 - UDI - Keeping records of UDIs EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A MDR article 54(2) "modifying" EU Medical Device Regulations 1
F The meaning of MDR Article 61 6(b) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Meaning of Article 61 (10) of the MDR 2017/745 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Declaring Conformity with MDR Article 120(3) for an MDD Legacy Device EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Summary of safety and clinical performance and Article 120(3) of the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
E Article 17 MDR - (Re-)Processing EU Medical Device Regulations 0
H Article 22 MDR System EU Medical Device Regulations 16
F MDR – Article 120 – Transitional provisions EU Medical Device Regulations 8
H MDR Article 13(c) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
S MDR - System and procedure pack article 22 and all sub processes that apply ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
R EU-MDR Article 9-common specifications Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
M Examples of Combination Products - MDR Article 1 (8) and MDR Article 1(9) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
U MDD Article 12/ MDr Article 22 interpretation EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M MDR Article 22 Interpretation EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L EU MDR Article 86 PSUR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Requirements for MDR Article 22 Systems EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N EU MDR - Applicability Article 22 Systems and Procedure Packs CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Example of statement for procedure pack MDR Article 22? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
S Class I MDR Article 10 – QMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Clinical evaluation without clinical data - MDR Article 61(10) EU Medical Device Regulations 11
A MDR Article 22 applicability - Legal manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 13
S Article 61 - MDR Clinical Investigation Requirement EU Medical Device Regulations 9
C Article 16 MDR - Medicine packaged together with Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
F MDR system/procedurepack (article 22) with device acc. to MDD and MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
N EUDAMED postponement and compliance with Article 120 (3) MDR for Legacy Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 10
R MDR Article 22: Systems and procedure packs Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 12
T EU MDR Article 61- Clinical Evaluation EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-7 Guidance on Article 15 of the Medical Device Regulation (MDR) and in vitro Diagnostic Device Regulation (IVDR) regarding a “person re Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
F Interpretation of MDR 2017/745 Article 23 - CE Mark Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 8
E MDR Article 117 / Impact to New Marketing Authorization Applications Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
C Access to Technical Documentation - MDR Chapter VI Article 61 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
T MDR article 22 - System of 2 CE products and validation / usability? EU Medical Device Regulations 10
T Clarification on MDR - Article 18(d) - Implant Card EU Medical Device Regulations 14
M Is MDR Article 61(5) Unrealistic? EU Medical Device Regulations 11
D Responsible for regulatory compliance (Article 15 of MDR 2017/745) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
S EU MDR - Liability Clause per article 31 EU Medical Device Regulations 25
M Clinical evaluation process of FDA and MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
G MDR CE Experation date EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C MDR vs CMDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
O MDR language requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 12
K Whether the product is an accessory according to the MDR definition EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L Adverse Event Reporting Flowchart (MDR EU) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Doninina Trend Reporting for medical device class IIb according to MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Ed Panek MDR Delay? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
dgrainger Informational Proposal to address MDR challenges EU Medical Device Regulations 16