MDR Article 22 applicability - Legal manufacturer

Hello,

I was hoping if you can help me come to a resolution on a question I have been pondering for some months.

We are a legal manufacturer of a Class III and a Class IIb (MDR) medical devices. Both are required to work together to ensure the intended purpose is met, and we as the legal manufacturer have designed and validated the products to work together. The Class III has multiple reuses and the Class IIb is a consumable part. Both have separate CE marks, conformity assessments and DOCs.

Both products have their own UDIs, one part must be always placed on the market with the consumable and the consumable can be sold on its own.

Where I keep pondering is does Article 22 actually apply to us as the legal manufacturer (LM).

My current assessment is no, for these reasons;
1. Products have been designed and validated to work together by LM​
2. All packaging and labelling etc dictates that both products are required to be used for the 'system' to meet its intended use​
3. Both products already have their UDIs, and we wouldn't be able to apply two Basic UDI-DI to the same single UDIs​
4. It doesn't seem right that the LM would need a SRN for the legal manufacturing activity plus system producer (terminology from MDCG 2018-3, Oct-2018)​
5. I read a good position statement online that referred back to a ruling by a German regional council looking at a similar situation in Germany, where they didn't have to prepare the combination statement (MDD Art 12) because the products have already undergone conformity assessment by the NB. Thus they consider the declaration as the party for assembly of the system necessary only if they are not the legal manufacturer.​
What I am trying to avoid is putting another UDI on the box in which the product is supplied to the customer in.

Does anybody have experience with Article 22? or agreement/disagreement with my assessment above.
Really appreciate any help,
Alice

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dgrainger

Trusted Information Resource
Hi,
It isn't clear if someone is placing the devices on the market as a 'system/procedure pack' nor if it is you or someone else doing this. Could you clarify?

Hi,
It isn't clear if someone is placing the devices on the market as a 'system/procedure pack' nor if it is you or someone else doing this. Could you clarify?
Hi dgrainger, we the legal manufacturer are putting both parts on the market, currently not as a system or PP, but I am trying to understand if it should be a system. I hope that clarifies :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N EU MDR - Applicability Article 22 Systems and Procedure Packs CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M MDR Article 22 Interpretation EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L EU MDR Article 86 PSUR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Requirements for MDR Article 22 Systems EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Example of statement for procedure pack MDR Article 22? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
S Class I MDR Article 10 – QMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Clinical evaluation without clinical data - MDR Article 61(10) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
S Article 61 - MDR Clinical Investigation Requirement EU Medical Device Regulations 5
C Article 16 MDR - Medicine packaged together with Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
F MDR system/procedurepack (article 22) with device acc. to MDD and MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
N EUDAMED postponement and compliance with Article 120 (3) MDR for Legacy Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 8
R MDR Article 22: Systems and procedure packs Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 12
T EU MDR Article 61- Clinical Evaluation EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-7 Guidance on Article 15 of the Medical Device Regulation (MDR) and in vitro Diagnostic Device Regulation (IVDR) regarding a “person re Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
F Interpretation of MDR 2017/745 Article 23 - CE Mark Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 8
E MDR Article 117 / Impact to New Marketing Authorization Applications Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
C Access to Technical Documentation - MDR Chapter VI Article 61 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
T MDR article 22 - System of 2 CE products and validation / usability? EU Medical Device Regulations 10
T Clarification on MDR - Article 18(d) - Implant Card EU Medical Device Regulations 14
M Is MDR Article 61(5) Unrealistic? EU Medical Device Regulations 9
D Responsible for regulatory compliance (Article 15 of MDR 2017/745) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
S EU MDR - Liability Clause per article 31 EU Medical Device Regulations 22
R The term "Benefit Risk Ratio" in EU MDR, do I need to present benefit risk analysis as a RATIO Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 1
R MDR, Annex I, 23.1 Interpretation - IFU on the website EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K Two FDA questions regarding UDI (and potentially 803.52 MDR) Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
S EU MDR CAPA - GAP Assessment on CAPA SOPs EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A User interface Language Requirements - EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S How is the service life for class I reusable medical devices described in MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S How is the service life described for class I reusable medical devices in MDR? Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
P MDR/IVDR Annex III - Technical documentation on PMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
E Our company is planning to file MDD not MDR next month. Do we require to show chemical characterization report ? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Classification of a product according to MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L Classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I Interpretation of the MDR GSPR 23.4 (u) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Converting SOP MDD to MDR Noob ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K Biological indicator system classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L 'Distributor' definition & MDR/MSR relationship EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A What does this line from MDCG 2020-3 (MDR art. 120 substantial change) mean to you? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J EU MDR getting closer - Special offer for Elsmar members 10/2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 13
D ISO 14971:2019 vs MDR Annex 1, Requirement #4 - "Manufacturers shall inform users of any residual risks" ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
G MDR translation requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Applicability of Cybersecurity EU MDR 2017/745 Annex 1 23.4(ab), 14.2(d) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K Applicability of eIFU as per EU MDR 2017/745 Annex 1 23.1 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
rob73 UK Medical Device Regulations Forum - UK MDR Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 3
J Intervertebral body fusion cage, MDR Class II or Class III? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
F MDR GSPR Checklist template EU Medical Device Regulations 4
B Clinical Evaluation Expert Panels - MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M EU MDR - Labilities when a device is discontinued from the Market EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S National registrations for MDR certified devices in absence of EUDAMED EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Z MDR Class Ir deadline (Reusable surgical instruments) EU Medical Device Regulations 27