MDR Class 1 Self Certification - Competent Authority or Notified Body?

Hi hoping someone can help me out with this -

We have determined that we are a Class 1 (non-sterile. non-measuring, non-resuable) device under the MDR. We have finished all required documentation. We have finished our Declaration of Conformity and are wondering for self certification:

Do we send the Declaration of Conformity to our Competent Authority (like under the MDD)? Or, do we send the Declaration of Conformity to a Notified Body?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
I think neither. Your EU rep and distributors (a.k.a. economic operators) should have it.
I suggest you verify this with your EU rep.

monoj mon

You must have a technical file for it, right! Your EU Rep should have it and they should register your product in their country first. I would also suggest to talk to them.

Steve M

Starting to get Involved
I agree with the above. You definitely need it in your technical file and your EU rep should have it or at the very least be made available to them without delay.

You must have a technical file for it, right! Your EU Rep should have it and they should register your product in their country first. I would also suggest to talk to them.
Thank you.

Yes, we already have a Technical File that includes the Declaration of Conformity. I was asking about the next steps.

So what you're saying is that we need to register it in the EU Rep country first. So this is done through the Competent Authority?

Then, after it is registered in the EU Rep country, how does it get registered for all of the EU? Do we need to interact with a notified body, or will the Competent Authority do this for us?

monoj mon

Thank you.

Yes, we already have a Technical File that includes the Declaration of Conformity. I was asking about the next steps.

So what you're saying is that we need to register it in the EU Rep country first. So this is done through the Competent Authority?

Then, after it is registered in the EU Rep country, how does it get registered for all of the EU? Do we need to interact with a notified body, or will the Competent Authority do this for us?
I have just realized, you have never said in your post whether you are based in EU or outside EU. My original response was assuming you are based outside EU. If that is true then I would suggest, you should talk to your EU-Rep first. It is them who would register your product in their country. For rest of the steps, usually they should walk you through. And I don't think you would need to register your product in each and every country in the EU. You can go through this blog for further understanding.

And if you are already in the EU, then you don't need to have a EU-rep as all of us are suggesting above. Other than appointing a EU-rep, in this case, rest of the steps should be same as explained in the above blogpost.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M MD Class I transition period MDD to MDR - changes? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Y MDR requirements for Class I accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Instructions for use for Class I devices under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
JoCam Certified QMS for MDR - Class I medical device manufacturers EU Medical Device Regulations 8
N Is there a need for clinical test of Class IIa products (for MDR)? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S How is the service life for class I reusable medical devices described in MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S How is the service life described for class I reusable medical devices in MDR? Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
J Intervertebral body fusion cage, MDR Class II or Class III? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Z MDR Class Ir deadline (Reusable surgical instruments) EU Medical Device Regulations 27
K Class III Kit Box - Are translations mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Class I MDR Article 10 – QMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
dinaroxentool Former Class I device that is upscaled to IIa if the MDR is delayed EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K EIFU indicator symbol - Class I labels as per EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
U Do we need clinical trial data for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
rob73 MDCG guidance on class 1 devices and MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
N Technical file requirements class 1 device MDR Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
T Rumours that class 1 NS, NM, NR devices will have a new deadline for MDR compliance EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B EU MDR Quality System Requirements - Applicable to Class I? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
D Applicable MDR Annex's for Class IIa Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Conformity Assessment Route question for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
F Class I Device under MDD, reclassified to Class II under MDR Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
Q MDR Effectivity date for Legacy Class I Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 5
F MDR ISO 13485 for Class I sw/hw company to be class II due dates ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
chris1price MDR Conformity Assessment for a Class 2a device - Production Quality Assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Clinical evaluation for a class IIa medical device - EU MDR Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J MDR 2020 for Class 1 Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 8
W CE Mark for Class III Medical Device - MDR or MDD applies? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
D Technical file structure/content requirements for Class IIa devices & new MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 14
C Sampling of Class IIb Implantables under EU MDR - Assessments to the EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
T Choosing a Notified Body for MDR - SGS/BSI/DNV/DQS-MED Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
M Reworking MDD product w MDR labeling CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
A MDR and Poland EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Ed Panek Invitation to the MDR Dance EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M EU MDR language-Translation requiremens CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
I What are suitable indicators and threshold values in MDR/IVDR? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
A Sell-off legacy devices MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Eudamed actor registrations if you change AR for MDR product EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Ed Panek Which choice of the following most closely matches the MDR compliance of your company? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K Definition of SAE under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q Harmonised Standards (EN ISO 13485 / EN ISO 14971) in MDR (2017/745/EU) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Ed Panek Clarity from EC on Importer/Distributor roles in MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 9
Pmarszal BS EN 20417:2021 - Implementation Timeline Aligned With MDR? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
T Dental lab acrylics and MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Biggest issues when producing MDR compliant Technical Files / DD EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A Declaring Conformity with MDR Article 120(3) for an MDD Legacy Device EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D EU MDR - Change of device name (legacy device) EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J Technical Documentation as per MDR / subpoint 6.1 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M EU MDR - Retrospective Study for expanding indications of a legacy device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
B MDR Technical Structure EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Notified Bodies - ISO 13485 & MDR Technical Files ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3