MDR Conformity Assessment for a Class 2a device - Production Quality Assurance

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
Hi, I'm hoping someone can double check this for me. I am comparing the conformity assessment routes for a Class 2a device under the new MDR. In particular, comparing Annex IX (full quality assurance) with Annex XI Part A (Production Quality Assurance). As I see it, the key difference is that under Annex XI Section 6.2 the items listed in section 2.2 Paragraph C of Annex IX are not required. These include: Design Controls (inc V&V), Risk Management and Clinical Evaluation (inc Post Market Clinical Follow-up).

Am I correct, a Clinical Evaluation is not required?

Thanks
Chris

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Thulasidharan

Starting to get Involved
Hi Chris,

As per Article 52(6)

Manufacturers of class IIa devices, other than custom-made or investigational devices, shall be subject to a conformity assessment as specified in Chapters I and III of Annex IX, and including an assessment of the technical documentation as specified in Section 4 of that Annex of at least one representative device for each category of devices. Alternatively, the manufacturer may choose to draw up the technical documentation set out in Annexes II and III coupled with a conformity assessment as specified in Section 10 or Section 18 of Annex XI. The assessment of the technical documentation shall apply for at least one representative device for each category of devices.

As per Annex II & III - Design Controls (inc V&V), Risk Management and Clinical Evaluation (inc Post Market Clinical Follow-up) are essential requirements.

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
I agree with what you are saying about Annex II and III. However....

……. when you get to Annex XI 6.2 the QMS requirements exclude design, risk and clinical (ie point c of Annex IX 2.2).

Furthermore, when you get to Section 7, Surveillance, it misses out point 3.5 of Annex IX, this is the requirement for the NB to review the Clinical evaluation and PMCF.

So as I understand it, Annex II and III says you should perform risk, design control and clinical, however the NB will not review them!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Conformity Assessment Route question for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S EU conformity assessment - Certify to MDD or MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Conformity assessment routes in MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R Declaration of conformity as per EU MDR (2017/745) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
L MDR 745 - EU Declaration of Conformity - Signature Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L Content of Declaration of conformity (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Y MDR requirements for Class I accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M MDR legal actions - manufacturers CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
R Products not within the MDR grace period EU Medical Device Regulations 1
shimonv MDR transition checklist EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K Re-packaging under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Ed Panek Upcoming NB MDD ---> MDR Crunch EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S MDR - System and procedure pack article 22 and all sub processes that apply ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
C Requirements for distributors under MDR: translation EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Should we assign the PRRC before the date of application of MDR (26 May 2021)? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
N Looking for a recommendation for an EU MDR Importer EU Medical Device Regulations 1
JoCam Rental and MDD versus MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Can anyone share a Distribution Agreement template under MDR 2017/745? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A MDR ANNEX XI part A or Part B EU Medical Device Regulations 0
N OBL under the MDR. Which are the obligations of the OEM? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
U Distributor obligations under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Raisin picker CECP, consultation according to Art 54 MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K Question on MDR classification EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M STED vs MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
F UDI-PI required on packaging (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Extension to shelf life of new product under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Instructions for use for Class I devices under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K Importer in EU, but not distribute in the EU - MDR obligations EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K MDR Class 1 Self Certification - Competent Authority or Notified Body? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Responsibilities of Importers / Distributors - MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S PSUR - MDR First Submission Requirement? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R EU-MDR Article 9-common specifications Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
JoCam Certified QMS for MDR - Class I medical device manufacturers EU Medical Device Regulations 4
JoCam MDR Gap Analysis - Consultant fees EU Medical Device Regulations 10
N Is there a need for clinical test of Class IIa products (for MDR)? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Examples of Combination Products - MDR Article 1 (8) and MDR Article 1(9) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
P EU MDR Translation of Product Name EU Medical Device Regulations 3
N Is this a single integral drug device combination product EU MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
R Components to a finished medical device, MDR requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
K Quality Agreement MDR - The manufacturer is outside of EU Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
M MDR - eIFU - When you can supply an electronic IFU instead of a paper IFU EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M MDR harmonized standards EU Medical Device Regulations 3
cscalise RAPS/Med Dev EU MDR Guidebook - Reviews or Opinions? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
V New Product Model CE Mark Certification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
E MDR PRRC "jointly responsible" EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Strategy for MDR Regulatory Compliance Procedure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S EU MDR Annex I Chapter III 23.4 z EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R MDR & depth of technical files review by NB's EU Medical Device Regulations 18
U EU-MDR: Complicated supply chain EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C EU MDR - Annex II 6.1 Pre-clinical and clinical data EU Medical Device Regulations 4