SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

MDR - eIFU - When you can supply an electronic IFU instead of a paper IFU

mf389

Starting to get Involved
I am slightly confused on when you can supply an electronic IFU instead of a paper IFU accompanying the product.

The MDR states: "(f) Instructions for use may be provided to the user in non-paper format (e.g. electronic) to the extent, and only under the conditions, set out in Regulation (EU) No 207/2012 or in any subsequent implementing rules adopted pursuant to this Regulation. "

"(d) Instructions for use shall be provided together with devices. By way of exception, instructions for use shall not be required for class I and class IIa devices if such devices can be used safely without any such instructions and unless otherwise provided for elsewhere in this Section. "

in the reg 207/2021 is states:

1. Subject to the conditions set out in paragraph 2, manufacturers may provide instructions for use in electronic form instead of in paper form where those instructions relate to any of the following devices: (a) active implantable medical devices and their accessories covered by Directive 90/385/EEC intended to be used exclusively for the implantation or programming of a defined active implantable medical device; (b) implantable medical devices and their accessories covered by Directive 93/42/EEC intended to be used exclusively for the implantation of a defined implantable medical device; (c) fixed installed medical devices covered by Directive 93/42/EEC; (d) medical devices and their accessories covered by Directives 90/385/EEC and 93/42/EEC fitted with a built-in system visually displaying the instructions for use; (e) stand-alone software covered by Directive 93/42/EEC.

Does this mean that only the devices listed above can have an e-IFU and not a paper IFU? (Unless they are class I or IIa and do not require an IFU at all)?

What If I have a Class I device (IFU not required) But I want to make an IFU available on the website (e-IFU only), but do not want to package the IFU with each device? Is this not allowed?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

indubioush

Quite Involved in Discussions
I am asking why you need an IFU at all. Who is the subset of people that you believe will seek out an electronic IFU for your low-risk device?

mf389

Starting to get Involved
I am asking why you need an IFU at all. Who is the subset of people that you believe will seek out an electronic IFU for your low-risk device?
It is a policy that someone was trying to implement. I understand why you are asking those questions but really I am just looking for an answer to the question "Can a class I device, that does not require an IFU, have one on the companies website, if no such IFU is supplied with the device." Don;t worry about any particulars

indubioush

Quite Involved in Discussions
Having only an electronic IFU for a Class I device is bending rules in my opinion. However, I don't know all the details of your device.

(EU) No 207/2012 states: In order to reduce potential risks as far as possible, the appropriateness of the provision of instructions for use in electronic form should be subject to a specific risk assessment by the manufacturer.

I'm not understanding how an electronic IFU is appropriate for your device. Considering that you want to provide an IFU to some of your users, how would an electronic IFU be a better option than a paper IFU?

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
Can your device be used safely without an IFU?
I've always been curious about what is meant by "used safely without an IFU". If the device has any precautions or warnings at all (I'm curious if any such devices exist), does this mean that it cannot be "used safely without an IFU"?

For example, a standard precaution might be: "Keep out of reach of children", or a standard warning for most active devices might be: "Do not immerse electrical components in water.", or "Do not attempt to replace, modify or repair electronic components". However, in practice (as demonstrated in usability studies and market surveillance), it may be apparent that users won't do these things, and typically use the device safely (as intended), without ever referencing the IFU.

If the inclusion of any precautions in the IFU means that eIFU is not permitted, then I suspect that 99.9% of devices will still be expected to provide paper IFUs...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Applicability of eIFU as per EU MDR 2017/745 Annex 1 23.1 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
K EIFU indicator symbol - Class I labels as per EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
P Update on NBOG 2014-3 to address MDR/IVDR, or any plan to do that? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A MDR requirement where unit of use packaging is too small for UDI carrier EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S MDR GSPR Standards EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A MDR - Legacy Device Review Timeframe and Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Translation requirements for the statement referred to in ANNEX XIII of MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J EU MDR GSPR 10.4.3 and 10.4.4 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
F Labelling to comply with both FDA and MDR US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
N EU MDR and its impact on existing Registrations EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Post Market Safety Update Report for devices that will be up-classified under MDR but are currently under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Y MDR Transition - make "Available on the market" after CE certificate expiration EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C MDR Classification Rule 10 EU Medical Device Regulations 13
C MDR software classification EU Medical Device Regulations 12
Y MDR requirements for Class I accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M MDR legal actions - manufacturers CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
R Products not within the MDR grace period EU Medical Device Regulations 1
shimonv MDR transition checklist EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K Re-packaging under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Ed Panek Upcoming NB MDD ---> MDR Crunch EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S MDR - System and procedure pack article 22 and all sub processes that apply ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
C Requirements for distributors under MDR: translation EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Should we assign the PRRC before the date of application of MDR (26 May 2021)? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
N Looking for a recommendation for an EU MDR Importer EU Medical Device Regulations 1
JoCam Rental and MDD versus MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Can anyone share a Distribution Agreement template under MDR 2017/745? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A MDR ANNEX XI part A or Part B EU Medical Device Regulations 0
N OBL under the MDR. Which are the obligations of the OEM? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
U Distributor obligations under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Raisin picker CECP, consultation according to Art 54 MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K Question on MDR classification EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M STED vs MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
F UDI-PI required on packaging (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Extension to shelf life of new product under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Instructions for use for Class I devices under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K Importer in EU, but not distribute in the EU - MDR obligations EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K MDR Class 1 Self Certification - Competent Authority or Notified Body? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Responsibilities of Importers / Distributors - MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 6
S PSUR - MDR First Submission Requirement? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R EU-MDR Article 9-common specifications Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
JoCam Certified QMS for MDR - Class I medical device manufacturers EU Medical Device Regulations 4
JoCam MDR Gap Analysis - Consultant fees EU Medical Device Regulations 10
N Is there a need for clinical test of Class IIa products (for MDR)? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Examples of Combination Products - MDR Article 1 (8) and MDR Article 1(9) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
P EU MDR Translation of Product Name EU Medical Device Regulations 3
N Is this a single integral drug device combination product EU MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
R Components to a finished medical device, MDR requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
K Quality Agreement MDR - The manufacturer is outside of EU Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
M MDR harmonized standards EU Medical Device Regulations 3
cscalise RAPS/Med Dev EU MDR Guidebook - Reviews or Opinions? EU Medical Device Regulations 4