MDR Importer/Distributor Definition Questions

I have a question that I am hoping someone may be able to answer.

The first is the definition an "importer" as used in the MDR. It states: "importer" means any natural or legal person established within the Union that places a device from a third country on the Union Market: " My question is what is meant by a third country. If the manufacturer is located in the United States and sells to a Distributor in the EU, there is no third country - so does that mean you do not need to have an "importer" whose duties are defined by MDR or does the distributor also become the importer and assume those duties as well.

Thanking you in advance for any input you may provide.

Cathy

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Al Rosen

Holed-up in a Hotel in South Florida
Staff member
Super Moderator
A Third Country is generally understood as any country not in the EU, including nations outside the continent of Europe (e.g. Japan, the USA, Canada, etc.).

A Third Country is generally understood as any country not in the EU, including nations outside the continent of Europe (e.g. Japan, the USA, Canada, etc.).
Thank you - that was how I was interpreting the definition also. Based on that, with a product going from US to a distributor in an EU country, one would not need an importer; nor I am thinking would the distributor need to take on any importer duties that may differ from distributor duties.

Again, thanks.

Al Rosen

Holed-up in a Hotel in South Florida
Staff member
Super Moderator
Thank you - that was how I was interpreting the definition also. Based on that, with a product going from US to a distributor in an EU country, one would not need an importer; nor I am thinking would the distributor need to take on any importer duties that may differ from distributor duties.

Again, thanks.
I think it's the other way around. You need an importer to bring the device into the EU. The importer may also be the distributor.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
nor I am thinking would the distributor need to take on any importer duties
Your thinking is incorrect. If the device is not made within the EU, the entity placing the device on the EU market (i.e. executing the first sale within the EU) is considered an importer and has to take on the prescribed duties.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N New MDR EU Medical Device/IVD Regulations - Definition of Importer EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R MDR, Annex I, 23.1 Interpretation - IFU on the website EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K Two FDA questions regarding UDI (and potentially 803.52 MDR) Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
S EU MDR CAPA - GAP Assessment on CAPA SOPs EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M MDR Article 22 Interpretation EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A User interface Language Requirements - EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
L EU MDR Article 86 PSUR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S How is the service life for class I reusable medical devices described in MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S How is the service life described for class I reusable medical devices in MDR? Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
P MDR/IVDR Annex III - Technical documentation on PMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
E Our company is planning to file MDD not MDR next month. Do we require to show chemical characterization report ? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Classification of a product according to MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L Classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I Interpretation of the MDR GSPR 23.4 (u) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Converting SOP MDD to MDR Noob ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K Biological indicator system classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L 'Distributor' definition & MDR/MSR relationship EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A What does this line from MDCG 2020-3 (MDR art. 120 substantial change) mean to you? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J EU MDR getting closer - Special offer for Elsmar members 10/2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 13
D ISO 14971:2019 vs MDR Annex 1, Requirement #4 - "Manufacturers shall inform users of any residual risks" ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
G MDR translation requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Applicability of Cybersecurity EU MDR 2017/745 Annex 1 23.4(ab), 14.2(d) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K Applicability of eIFU as per EU MDR 2017/745 Annex 1 23.1 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
rob73 UK Medical Device Regulations Forum - UK MDR Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 3
J Intervertebral body fusion cage, MDR Class II or Class III? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
F MDR GSPR Checklist template EU Medical Device Regulations 4
B Clinical Evaluation Expert Panels - MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M EU MDR - Labilities when a device is discontinued from the Market EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S National registrations for MDR certified devices in absence of EUDAMED EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Z MDR Class Ir deadline (Reusable surgical instruments) EU Medical Device Regulations 27
B MDR equvalent device - can you use a medicine as an equivalent 'device' EU Medical Device Regulations 8
N Harmonized Standards for MDR Certification EU Medical Device Regulations 7
K Is UDI (Unique Device Identifier) symbol mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K EU MDR Annex 1 Chapter III: Information in the Instructions for Use-23.4 (e) the performance characteristics of the device; EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Requirements for MDR Article 22 Systems EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H EU MDR Economic Operator notifications? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M MDR EU Distributor for our CE Mark product in the for Netherlands EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R Declaration of conformity as per EU MDR (2017/745) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
K Class III Kit Box - Are translations mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
B Herbal ingredients MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S MDR GSPR Clause 17 - Software Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N Which EN ISO 17664 version compliance to EU MDR? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 3
D Hospital Decontamination and the MDR - Technical Files, UDI and PMS EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Submission of MDR File - Partner Companies - Computed Tomography (CT) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
B How to classify a medical device based on MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A MDR GSPR Checklist wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Rincewind MDR - GSPR - Annex I - Chapter II EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N EU MDR - Applicability Article 22 Systems and Procedure Packs CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
B EU MDR Perscription product guidance EU Medical Device Regulations 1
cscalise Suggestions for MDR Auditing tools EU Medical Device Regulations 1