MDR - Legacy Device Review Timeframe and Requirements

Something I still do not quite understand is the MDR legacy device review. I am based in Australia and we have a NB and EAR in the EU, with valid CE certificate (under MDD). We are not selling into Europe yet but we may do next year. Can someone help me with the following?
  • Are legacy devices are required to undergo a legacy device review even before they are sold into the EU market?
  • Can the legacy device review wait until we are ready to enter the EU market?
  • And what is the point of the review before EUDAMED is running?
For example, if I want to place my class IIa medical device (valid MDD) on the market, does this review need to be completed by the EAR first?
Also, if I do not wish to place on the market yet do I still need to have this review completed?
Is it a problem that the 26 May 2021 deadline has passed?

Thank you

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Staff member
Super Moderator
We are a USA-based med dev company selling class IIa devices into the EU. Our MDD cert expires in 2023. For us, we comply with Article 120 of MDR. We are also working on Eudamed compliance by organizing our Economic Operator details with our Importer and distributor in the EU so we are ready for Eudamed in 2022

We are a USA-based med dev company selling class IIa devices into the EU. Our MDD cert expires in 2023. For us, we comply with Article 120 of MDR. We are also working on Eudamed compliance by organizing our Economic Operator details with our Importer and distributor in the EU so we are ready for Eudamed in 2022
Thanks for your reply Ed, the information about organising Economic Operator details for Eudamed for 2022 is really useful as I am just looking into that at the moment.
Did you EU Authorised Rep perform a "legacy device review" to allow you to continue to place your device on the marker after 26 May 2021?

Billy Milly

Involved In Discussions
Hi, I hope this helps - EU REP is acting on you behalf (as a manufacturer) on EU market. He should have the TF readily available on his site. Most of REPs (or at least serious ones) perform the TF revew before entering an agreement to avoid any potential future incompliance.
In my opinion, you will have to submit TF for review before the EU REP will agree to represent you.
In other words, review is not a regulatory requirement, but responsibility is.
Also, your scenario has no direct correlation with Eudamed requirements or timelines.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Declaring Conformity with MDR Article 120(3) for an MDD Legacy Device EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D EU MDR - Change of device name (legacy device) EU Medical Device Regulations 17
M EU MDR - Retrospective Study for expanding indications of a legacy device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M MDR Legacy Medical Device Labeling compliance timeline EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M MDR transfer for legacy devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Sell-off legacy devices MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
N EUDAMED postponement and compliance with Article 120 (3) MDR for Legacy Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 10
Q MDR Effectivity date for Legacy Class I Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 5
C Deadline for compliance with added MDR harmonized standards CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
D Is sampling allowed for MDR Class III products? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A MDR Article 16 Certification of Distributors by a Notified Body? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C MDR - Annex II _3. DESIGN AND MANUFACTURING INFORMATION_a EU Medical Device Regulations 3
F MDR GSPR 23.4 (c) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
B What are "appropriate drawings" required for a MDR in 21CFR820? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Ed Panek MDR Harmonized Standards Updated EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Ed Panek Auditor Comment about MDR vs MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 10
N The new MDR requirements - SPR section #10.4 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
T Choosing a Notified Body for MDR - SGS/BSI/DNV/DQS-MED Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
M Reworking MDD product w MDR labeling CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
A MDR and Poland EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Ed Panek Invitation to the MDR Dance EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M EU MDR language-Translation requiremens CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
I What are suitable indicators and threshold values in MDR/IVDR? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
A Eudamed actor registrations if you change AR for MDR product EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Ed Panek Which choice of the following most closely matches the MDR compliance of your company? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K Definition of SAE under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q Harmonised Standards (EN ISO 13485 / EN ISO 14971) in MDR (2017/745/EU) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Ed Panek Clarity from EC on Importer/Distributor roles in MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 9
Pmarszal BS EN 20417:2021 - Implementation Timeline Aligned With MDR? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
T Dental lab acrylics and MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Biggest issues when producing MDR compliant Technical Files / DD EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J Technical Documentation as per MDR / subpoint 6.1 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B MDR Technical Structure EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Notified Bodies - ISO 13485 & MDR Technical Files ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L Configurable UDI mdr EU Medical Device Regulations 0
O EU MDR labels EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Summary of safety and clinical performance and Article 120(3) of the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M MD Class I transition period MDD to MDR - changes? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C UDI for consumable/replacement components under the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E Article 17 MDR - (Re-)Processing EU Medical Device Regulations 0
H Article 22 MDR System EU Medical Device Regulations 16
L REACH compliance with MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
L EU MDR Ramifications for no expiration date on labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R How to obtain OBL licence under Indian MDR, 2017 Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
F MDR – Article 120 – Transitional provisions EU Medical Device Regulations 8
H MDR Article 13(c) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Ed Panek Auditor MDR (Presub audit) finding EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Classification of Instruments under EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Procedure for vigilance system according to new MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Procedure for clinical evaluation according to new MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 11