MDR Legacy Medical Device Labeling compliance timeline

Hello,

I am trying to understand the timeline of labelling compliance to the MDR. I assumed all products that are available on the market need to have MDR compliant labelling after the 26th of May 2020.
Now my colleague has told me that these devices, which were placed on the market in 2018, can keep the old labelling for another couple of years. Who of us is right?

Thank you all in advance for your help.
Martin

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

kunal9218

Starting to get Involved
Hello,

I am trying to understand the timeline of labelling compliance to the MDR. I assumed all products that are available on the market need to have MDR compliant labelling after the 26th of May 2020.
Now my colleague has told me that these devices, which were placed on the market in 2018, can keep the old labelling for another couple of years. Who of us is right?

Thank you all in advance for your help.
Martin
As far as I know, all the devices needs to be certified in order to sell in EU. That is why we are remediating labels right now to meet the deadline. We are just submitting the draft labels though.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Hello,

Not true. If your device keeps being compliant with the Directives, you need to comply with the directives, not the regulation (the only exemptions are the PMS and registration requirements, which will be applied after 26th of May 2020 regardless if your device complies with the directives or the legislation).

All other devices that are under the MDR are required to comply with the MDR in full, including labeling.

Hello,
If you have a device with a certificate (with NB involvement) you can keep the device under the directives for the time of certificate validity as long as you comply with Article 120 of the MDR (which details the requirements for "legacy devices under the directives).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q MDR Effectivity date for Legacy Class I Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 5
N EUDAMED postponement and compliance with Article 120 (3) MDR for Legacy Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 8
rob73 UK Medical Device Regulations Forum - UK MDR Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
J Intervertebral body fusion cage, MDR Class II or Class III? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
F MDR GSPR Checklist template EU Medical Device Regulations 4
B Clinical Evaluation Expert Panels - MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M EU MDR - Labilities when a device is discontinued from the Market EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S National registrations for MDR certified devices in absence of EUDAMED EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Z MDR Class Ir deadline (Reusable surgical instruments) EU Medical Device Regulations 27
B MDR equvalent device - can you use a medicine as an equivalent 'device' EU Medical Device Regulations 8
N Harmonized Standards for MDR Certification EU Medical Device Regulations 6
K Is UDI (Unique Device Identifier) symbol mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K EU MDR Annex 1 Chapter III: Information in the Instructions for Use-23.4 (e) the performance characteristics of the device; EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Requirements for MDR Article 22 Systems EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H EU MDR Economic Operator notifications? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M MDR EU Distributor for our CE Mark product in the for Netherlands EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R Declaration of conformity as per EU MDR (2017/745) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
K Class III Kit Box - Are translations mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
B Herbal ingredients MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S MDR GSPR Clause 17 - Software Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N Which EN ISO 17664 version compliance to EU MDR? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 3
D Hospital Decontamination and the MDR - Technical Files, UDI and PMS EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Kuldeep Singh Submission of MDR File - Partner Companies - Computed Tomography (CT) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
B How to classify a medical device based on MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A MDR GSPR Checklist wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Rincewind MDR - GSPR - Annex I - Chapter II EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N EU MDR - Applicability Article 22 Systems and Procedure Packs CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
B EU MDR Perscription product guidance EU Medical Device Regulations 1
cscalise Suggestions for MDR Auditing tools EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Example of statement for procedure pack MDR Article 22? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
H MDD CM, MDR manufacturer. 2020. Is it ok? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M MDR, RED and LVD - Should our device comply with them? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E UK MDR brexit out of sync with EU MDR deadline? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
S MDR Delay - MDD design Change? (before new MDR DOA) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S Class I MDR Article 10 – QMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
dgrainger Medical Device News MDR postponed - link to Official Journal of the European Union (24-4-2020) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Supply Agreement Regarding MDR 2017/745 - Manufacturer-supplier cooperation Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
Ed Panek Medical Device News MDR Delayed 1 year (Posted 4/2020) EU Medical Device Regulations 9
dinaroxentool Former Class I device that is upscaled to IIa if the MDR is delayed EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B FDA-Medical Device Reporting (MDR )procedure compliant with 21CFR section 803 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
J PPE, the MDR and EU 2016/425 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R An indication that the device is a medical device (MDR, Annex 23.2q) - applicable for accessories? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
R Clinical evaluation without clinical data - MDR Article 61(10) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
dgrainger Informational Postponement of MDR - adopted by the Commission - April 2020 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
R Applicability of new non-harmonized standards (MDD/MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
F The EU Drafts Bill to Postpone MDR by a Year (3/2020) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
T Commission proposal being drawn up for postponement for date of application of MDR (2017/745) EU Medical Device Regulations 7
A MDR Article 22 applicability - Legal manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Estimating the benefit-risk ration under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
F Will the EU postpone 2017/745 MDR Implementation - COVID-19 Impact Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 11