MDR PMS System Vs. Plan Vs. Procedures

ThatSinc

Involved In Discussions
Hi All,

Slightly confused by the expectations for the PMS plan, as required by the MDR Article 84

The post-market surveillance system referred to in Article 83 shall be based on a post-market surveillance plan, the requirements for which are set out in ►C2 Section 1 of Annex III. ◄ For devices other than custom-made devices, the post-market surveillance plan shall be part of the technical documentation specified in Annex II.
Article 83 lays out that the PMS System shall be integral to the QMS

1. For each device, manufacturers shall plan, establish, document, implement, maintain and update a post-market surveillance system in a manner that is proportionate to the risk class and appropriate for the type of device. That system shall be an integral part of the manufacturer's quality management system referred to in Article 10(9).
If the PMS System shall be based on the plan, and the PMS System shall be integral to the QMS surely the hierarchal structure puts the plan at the top, defining what your requirements are, the system below it with all of the relevant processes and procedures that fulfil the system requirements, then the output of those processes is the PMS Report or PSUR, and any subsequent activities in accordance with the processes/procedures, based on the conclusions.

After reviewing the detail required by the PMS Plan as per Annex III, with a few specific examples, this seems to confirm the plan as a much higher level document than a per-device document.

(b) The post-market surveillance plan shall cover at least:
— effective and appropriate methods and tools to investigate complaints and analyse market-related experience collected in the field;
— methods and protocols to communicate effectively with competent authorities, notified bodies, economic operators and users;
— reference to procedures to fulfil the manufacturers obligations laid down in Articles 83, 84 and 86;
— systematic procedures to identify and initiate appropriate measures including corrective actions;

These all seem like very generic requirements that should be fulfilled by integrated into procedures within a business and then applied consistently as per the risk classification of the device in question.

If all of these have to be documented in a plan, for each device, surely it's nearly all going to be standard/static text for every single plan with the only part I can see as being unique to an individual device is any justification for no PMCF requirements.

I see very little value add in this, but would really like to understand how other people have managed this?

Am I missing something fundamental here?

Thanks

TS

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
One place that I would expect this narrative to begin would be in a Risk Management Report for the medical device (or family of devices). It is common that the RMP contains:
  • The statement of risk acceptability for marketing the device
  • The links to the analyses supporting the acceptability decision
  • Plans for periodic review of risk acceptability (which ought to take inputs from the post-market surveillance system)
The periodic risk review could also include other activities not strictly related to "14971" risk, but if the review is going to include more diverse activities it will be necessary to have more diverse competencies as part of the review.

The "high level" (i.e. non-device specific) planning would likely be defining per procedure where the activities are to occur, as opposed to taking an ad hoc approach to trying to guarantee that they are done.

ThatSinc

Involved In Discussions
One place that I would expect this narrative to begin would be in a Risk Management Report for the medical device (or family of devices). It is common that the RMP contains:
That's precisely where it does begin
Currently remediating risk for a company going to MDR and as I was getting through the RMR I was trying to reference their PMS Plan, which in a previous life under MDD would have been a basic affair:

1. purpose
Gather PMS data and analyse in accordance with procedure XYZ
2. scope
Devices XYZ
3. frequency
Every X Years, based on XYZ
4. reporting
Report prepared using form XYZ

The procedure would capture everything you needed to do, what data to gather, how to analyse it and against what criteria (usually with reference to the risk process & CER process for acceptable risk, and acceptable performance, respectively)

However the documented requirements in the MDR seem like I'm going to be double documenting.

Junn1992

Quite Involved in Discussions
In my experience, there is definitely quite a bit of overlap between inputs for the Trend Report ( Article 88 ), PSUR, and PMCF. Just copy + paste and use the MDCG guidance format. MDCG 2020-7, MDCG 2020-8.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P MDR/IVDR Annex III - Technical documentation on PMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Hospital Decontamination and the MDR - Technical Files, UDI and PMS EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K EU MDR - PMS (Post Market Surveillance) SOP - definition of "register(s)" EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L Looking for SOP Template for UDI under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P MDR Article 27 - UDI - Keeping records of UDIs EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Q Class I Medical Device with measuring function (UK MDR 2002 / MDD) UK Medical Device Regulations 3
F EU MDR Quality Plan template CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B Clinical Investigation in Denmark for MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R EU MDR Remote vs In-Person Audit EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H IVDR & MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
H Update to UK MDR 2002 No. 618 UK Medical Device Regulations 2
A MDR article 54(2) "modifying" EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K MDD to MDR Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
S EU MDR-Replacement Parts when not manufacture is not yet EU MDR compliant US Medical Device Regulations 2
dgrainger Informational Consolidated UK MDR 2002 UK Medical Device Regulations 0
E MDR Labelling & Languages EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Subcontractors Providing Services Under MDD or MDR need ISO 13485 from EU Notified Body? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
D MDR: Active medical device or not? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 14
T Justification of use of non-harmonized standards for MDR conformity Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
F The meaning of MDR Article 61 6(b) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Repackaging and translation under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 14
Ed Panek MDR Delays Poll EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Meaning of Article 61 (10) of the MDR 2017/745 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D MDR classification and DoC requirements Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
N Shelf life guidance EU MDR, class 1 and class 2 Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
G UKCA and EU MDR marking UK Medical Device Regulations 5
G Updating MDD devices after MDR transitional period EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J Changes to OS - Significant change under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 8
D Direct-Marking Requirements under MDR 2017/745 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
G Significant changes on MDD devices/Old Devices after MDR transitional period EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P MDR conformity EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P MDR documentation submissions EU Medical Device Regulations 4
P Essential MDR documents IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 0
M How to build a winning strategy for EU MDR Compliance Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 0
I MDR: animal origin and nano materials EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C Deadline for compliance with added MDR harmonized standards CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
D Is sampling allowed for MDR Class III products? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A MDR Article 16 Certification of Distributors by a Notified Body? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
C MDR - Annex II _3. DESIGN AND MANUFACTURING INFORMATION_a EU Medical Device Regulations 3
F MDR GSPR 23.4 (c) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
B What are "appropriate drawings" required for a MDR in 21CFR820? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Ed Panek MDR Harmonized Standards Updated EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M MDR transfer for legacy devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Ed Panek Auditor Comment about MDR vs MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 10
N The new MDR requirements - SPR section #10.4 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
T Choosing a Notified Body for MDR - SGS/BSI/DNV/DQS-MED Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
M Reworking MDD product w MDR labeling CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
A MDR and Poland EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Ed Panek Invitation to the MDR Dance EU Medical Device Regulations 5