MDR PRRC (person responsible for regulatory compliance) and personal liability

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
The MDR introduces the role of "person responsibile for regulatory compliance". It specifically identifies their role and responsibilities and sets the apart from the legal entity that is the manufacturer by saying that they cannot be disadvantaged in their employment as a result activities related to the role

I haven't seen much debate around personal liability for this individual and am somewhat concerned about how it will play out in the event of a device causing harm to a patient/user

Has anyone else given this consdieration, is anyone considering taking out professional indemnity insurance?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
Interesting...
We have not see a case of legal action taken against a PRRC.

Going forward, the RA manager will most likely be appointed PRRC. In the event of harm caused by illegal activity or serious/deliberate misconduct, the top management is most likely to be held accountable.
The PRRC has an area of responsibility, just like the VP R&D and VP OPS and VP Marketing.

The problematic PRRC requirement is:
"The person responsible for regulatory compliance shall suffer no disadvantage within the manufacturer's organisation in relation to the proper fulfilment of his or her duties, regardless of whether or not they are employees of the organisation."​
I don't really know what "shall suffer no disadvantage" means from a legal prospective without precedents. Hypothetically, if the PRRC identifies an event that warrants a recall he can voice his concern to top management ("shall suffer no disadvantage") but the other members of top management may think otherwise or the CEO may veto such a decision. If this thing blows-up with the PRRC in the organisation - I think all of them will be held responsible.

Perhaps the best approach is to have professional indemnity insurance for all top management.

As an independent consultant the PRRC requirements puts me in a very sensitive spot. Most likely I will never assume this role in an organisation.

Thanks for raising this point.
Shimon

SKM.Sunil

Involved In Discussions
Interesting...
We have not see a case of legal action taken against a PRRC.
Going forward, the RA manager will most likely be appointed PRRC.
In the event of harm caused by illegal activity or serious/deliberate misconduct, the top management is most likely to be held accountable.
The PRRC has an area of responsibility, just like the VP R&D and VP OPS and VP Marketing.

The problematic PRRC requirement is:
"The person responsible for regulatory compliance shall suffer no disadvantage within the manufacturer's organisation in relation to the proper fulfilment of his or her duties, regardless of whether or not they are employees of the organisation."

I don't really know what "shall suffer no disadvantage"means from a legal prospective without precedents.
Hypothetically, if the PRRC identifies an event that warrants a recall he can voice his concern to top management ("shall suffer no disadvantage") but the other members of top management may think otherwise or the CEO may veto such a decision. If this thing blows-up with the PRRC in the organisation - I think all of them will be held responsible.

Perhaps the best approach is to have professional indemnity insurance for all top management.
As an independent consultant the PRRC requirements puts me in a very sensitive spot. Most likely I will never assume this role in an organisation.

Thanks for raising this point.
Shimon

shall suffer no disadvantage
Not like He will suffer employment related or financial or legal issues.

The EC is saying the PRRC must not be restricted to perform his duty, or his accessibility to areas of concern must not be restricted by the Organisation.

whether or not they are employees of the organisation
A Manufacturer can not disallow / non cooperative with the PRRC if it appoints any third-party.

I don't think it require a "professional indemnity insurance ".

but the other members of top management may think otherwise or the CEO may veto such a decision. If this thing blows-up with the PRRC in the organisation - I think all of them will be held responsible.
The PRRC by EUMDR is not a decision making authority and He can't make product recall, neither he is appointed by EC to monitor the manufacturer...still recall related decision is lies within top management or NB's order.

according to Article-13-3 c & d : the PRRC is responsible to make a report/ generate an analysis report for the activities carried out for article 87-91. (though he may not do it by himself)

The role of PRRC is like a position/responsibility that is similar to the MR, that requirement in a QMS

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Location requirements of the PRRC for the EU MDR Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
S Classification of a product according to MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L Classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I Interpretation of the MDR GSPR 23.4 (u) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Converting SOP MDD to MDR Noob ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K Biological indicator system classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L 'Distributor' definition & MDR/MSR relationship EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A What does this line from MDCG 2020-3 (MDR art. 120 substantial change) mean to you? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J EU MDR getting closer - Special offer for Elsmar members 10/2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 10
D ISO 14971:2019 vs MDR Annex 1, Requirement #4 - "Manufacturers shall inform users of any residual risks" ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
G MDR translation requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Applicability of Cybersecurity EU MDR 2017/745 Annex 1 23.4(ab), 14.2(d) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K Applicability of eIFU as per EU MDR 2017/745 Annex 1 23.1 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
rob73 UK Medical Device Regulations Forum - UK MDR Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
J Intervertebral body fusion cage, MDR Class II or Class III? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
F MDR GSPR Checklist template EU Medical Device Regulations 4
B Clinical Evaluation Expert Panels - MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M EU MDR - Labilities when a device is discontinued from the Market EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S National registrations for MDR certified devices in absence of EUDAMED EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Z MDR Class Ir deadline (Reusable surgical instruments) EU Medical Device Regulations 27
B MDR equvalent device - can you use a medicine as an equivalent 'device' EU Medical Device Regulations 8
N Harmonized Standards for MDR Certification EU Medical Device Regulations 7
K Is UDI (Unique Device Identifier) symbol mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K EU MDR Annex 1 Chapter III: Information in the Instructions for Use-23.4 (e) the performance characteristics of the device; EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Requirements for MDR Article 22 Systems EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H EU MDR Economic Operator notifications? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M MDR EU Distributor for our CE Mark product in the for Netherlands EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R Declaration of conformity as per EU MDR (2017/745) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
K Class III Kit Box - Are translations mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
B Herbal ingredients MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S MDR GSPR Clause 17 - Software Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N Which EN ISO 17664 version compliance to EU MDR? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 3
D Hospital Decontamination and the MDR - Technical Files, UDI and PMS EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Submission of MDR File - Partner Companies - Computed Tomography (CT) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
B How to classify a medical device based on MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A MDR GSPR Checklist wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Rincewind MDR - GSPR - Annex I - Chapter II EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N EU MDR - Applicability Article 22 Systems and Procedure Packs CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
B EU MDR Perscription product guidance EU Medical Device Regulations 1
cscalise Suggestions for MDR Auditing tools EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Example of statement for procedure pack MDR Article 22? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
H MDD CM, MDR manufacturer. 2020. Is it ok? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M MDR, RED and LVD - Should our device comply with them? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E UK MDR brexit out of sync with EU MDR deadline? UK Medical Device Regulations 4
S MDR Delay - MDD design Change? (before new MDR DOA) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S Class I MDR Article 10 – QMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
dgrainger Medical Device News MDR postponed - link to Official Journal of the European Union (24-4-2020) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Supply Agreement Regarding MDR 2017/745 - Manufacturer-supplier cooperation Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
Ed Panek Medical Device News MDR Delayed 1 year (Posted 4/2020) EU Medical Device Regulations 9
dinaroxentool Former Class I device that is upscaled to IIa if the MDR is delayed EU Medical Device Regulations 2