MDR - Question around software accesories

Cali_Kitson

Starting to get Involved
Hi everyone,

I am an avid reader of the forums but I am yet to post.

Without giving away any sensitive information, I recently took up a new position at a start up and I am working with a totally unfamiliar product.

Unfortunately, it seems following analysis of the companies tech file, the consultant who was paid to do the work which would facilitate CE marking of this product has not done their job correctly. You would be amazed at how little has been done and the poor quality of the work.

An example of what I am talking about is as follows:

The consultant drew up a DoC as per the MDR, allowed the CEO to sign off (who is unfamiliar with RA and thus trusted the word of his high paid consultant). The consultant had not even implemented a basic QMS which would satisfy minimum requirements of the MDR for a class I product.... CRAZY! Literally, the QMS consists of empty folders... I am totally perplexed and I assume there will be bite back for person in question. I now have to implement a full QMS, where my expectation was only to be updating the QMS in order to gain 13485 certification.

OK... My question is based on my unfamiliarity of the product and I am reading the regs as we speak, however, I thought it may be useful to post here. This is my first experience of working with a product which also incorporates a software. I am starting to get my head around the regulations but still I would like some input from the experts here :)

The product is a device which is supplied with a tablet (a windows tablet - CHEWI), which would be supplied in kiosk mode and the software supplied would facilitate use of the device itself. The device could also be connected to any computer as long as the software was installed. The software itself facilitates use of a HD camera, and is also a platform for storage of images. The use of the software without the device itself would therefore be the storage of medical images and little else.

Are the software and tablet classified as accessories as per the MDR?

The fact that the consultant hasn't done their job properly has made this much more difficult to get my head around. There is no mention of the software or tablet in the (what is already turning out to be an incomplete and poorly executed) technical file, there is no mention of the software or tablet as an accessory, there is no reference to the software in the risk management files etc.

If anyone could share there expertise around what I have discussed it would be appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Cali_Kitson

Starting to get Involved
I would like to add, that the device could run on any platform, not just the software that we have created, therefore the device is platform agnostic.

The software provides an image from the camera only, and the image could be used to aid the HCP in diagnosis.

dgrainger

Trusted Information Resource
Does the software fit the definition of an accessory for a medical device:
"means an article which, whilst not being itself a medical device, is intended by its manufacturer to be used together with one or several particular medical device(s) to specifically enable the medical device(s) to be used in accordance with its/their intended purpose(s) or to specifically and directly assist the medical functionality of the medical device(s) in terms of its/their intended purpose(s);"

It isn't clear if the 'device' can work as intended without the software - can it display images if used on its own?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Conformity Assessment Route question for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Classification of a product according to MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
L Classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I Interpretation of the MDR GSPR 23.4 (u) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Converting SOP MDD to MDR Noob ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K Biological indicator system classification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L 'Distributor' definition & MDR/MSR relationship EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A What does this line from MDCG 2020-3 (MDR art. 120 substantial change) mean to you? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J EU MDR getting closer - Special offer for Elsmar members 10/2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 9
D ISO 14971:2019 vs MDR Annex 1, Requirement #4 - "Manufacturers shall inform users of any residual risks" ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
G MDR translation requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Applicability of Cybersecurity EU MDR 2017/745 Annex 1 23.4(ab), 14.2(d) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K Applicability of eIFU as per EU MDR 2017/745 Annex 1 23.1 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
rob73 UK Medical Device Regulations Forum - UK MDR Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
J Intervertebral body fusion cage, MDR Class II or Class III? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
F MDR GSPR Checklist template EU Medical Device Regulations 4
B Clinical Evaluation Expert Panels - MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M EU MDR - Labilities when a device is discontinued from the Market EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S National registrations for MDR certified devices in absence of EUDAMED EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Z MDR Class Ir deadline (Reusable surgical instruments) EU Medical Device Regulations 27
B MDR equvalent device - can you use a medicine as an equivalent 'device' EU Medical Device Regulations 8
N Harmonized Standards for MDR Certification EU Medical Device Regulations 7
K Is UDI (Unique Device Identifier) symbol mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K EU MDR Annex 1 Chapter III: Information in the Instructions for Use-23.4 (e) the performance characteristics of the device; EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Requirements for MDR Article 22 Systems EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H EU MDR Economic Operator notifications? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M MDR EU Distributor for our CE Mark product in the for Netherlands EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R Declaration of conformity as per EU MDR (2017/745) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
K Class III Kit Box - Are translations mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
B Herbal ingredients MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S MDR GSPR Clause 17 - Software Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N Which EN ISO 17664 version compliance to EU MDR? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 3
D Hospital Decontamination and the MDR - Technical Files, UDI and PMS EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Submission of MDR File - Partner Companies - Computed Tomography (CT) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
B How to classify a medical device based on MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A MDR GSPR Checklist wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Rincewind MDR - GSPR - Annex I - Chapter II EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N EU MDR - Applicability Article 22 Systems and Procedure Packs CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
B EU MDR Perscription product guidance EU Medical Device Regulations 1
cscalise Suggestions for MDR Auditing tools EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Example of statement for procedure pack MDR Article 22? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
H MDD CM, MDR manufacturer. 2020. Is it ok? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M MDR, RED and LVD - Should our device comply with them? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E UK MDR brexit out of sync with EU MDR deadline? UK Medical Device Regulations 4
S MDR Delay - MDD design Change? (before new MDR DOA) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S Class I MDR Article 10 – QMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
dgrainger Medical Device News MDR postponed - link to Official Journal of the European Union (24-4-2020) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Supply Agreement Regarding MDR 2017/745 - Manufacturer-supplier cooperation Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
Ed Panek Medical Device News MDR Delayed 1 year (Posted 4/2020) EU Medical Device Regulations 9
dinaroxentool Former Class I device that is upscaled to IIa if the MDR is delayed EU Medical Device Regulations 2