MDR question - Meaning of Stability

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
we sell a wearable thermometer. What does stability mean in this context? 1661806921344.png 1661806921344.png

EmiliaBedelia

Quite Involved in Discussions
Stability generally means the ability of the product to continue to meet its intended purpose over its intended lifetime.
In the context of measuring function, I would think of considerations like, are the markings going to wear off? does the temperature sensor have a lifetime of use that it will be valid for? is there a need for calibration or maintenance?

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
I agree that stability is performance over the life of the instrument, and also closely related to predictability. One example may be that I take the instrument into calibration and determine it is within limits but has drifted downwards and needs to be tweaked. If over many times of performing calibrations, and it is always drifting downwards between cals, I might invoke that the instrument is not "stable". A good way to identify stability is to plot calibration results over time on a control chart.

CharlieUK

Quite Involved in Discussions
A wearable thermometer would be exposed to a much wider range of temperatures than, say, a large piece of equipment used in a medical centre, so it would be important that it's performance was also stable over temperature as well as time

Ronen E

Problem Solver
A wearable thermometer would be exposed to a much wider range of temperatures
This was supposed to have fed into the Design Inputs through the initial Intended Use (e.g. use environment) and through Risk Management, taking account of extreme conditions and foreseeable misuse.

Top Bottom