MDR reporting and CAPA thoughts? Classifying Complaints on Risk

Jkc3usc12

Involved In Discussions
System I am working with is classifying complaints on risk. If it is high risk and determine to report a CAPA is automatically initiated.

If a medwatch is received a 3500a is filled out no matter and again a CAPA is initiated.

MDR Reporting and CAPA have always been separate decisions for me in the past. I understand they can tie in together just not every time. Also reporting any medwatch received I have never done.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Usually, reportability is not directly related to risk classification (as it was done before by the regulator), it's simply a decision - does the event fits the criteria? If so, it's reportable, if not, it's not reportable.

As you mention CAPA (which is something that in practice do not exist, because you do not co CA PA or PA CA, you do either PA or correction, which may escalate to CA), maybe the problem is exactly in this distinction (which is a common problem in the US because people are really into the CAPA thing).

Normally, things would be like this:

- Event occurred.
- Is it reportable? If so, report.
- Is correction or any other immediate action necessary? If so, implement.
- What is the root cause of the event?
- Depending on the root cause, a CA may be necessary to prevent recurrence. It may be the case that a CA is not required.

Jkc3usc12

Involved In Discussions
A risk matrix for complaints is used to determine risk and which if coded high is reported. If reported a PA or CA is automatically initiated.

I feel the investigation of the root cause would be the determination of the PA or the CA if needed. Not just because it is high risk.

Also your thoughts on receiving a medwatch and automatically initiating a 3500 and another PA or CA.

Marcelo

A risk matrix for complaints is used to determine risk and which if coded high is reported. If reported a PA or CA is automatically initiated.
A report has to be submitted (I'm using a manufacturer as an example) when the manufacturer "they learn that any of their devices may have caused or contributed to a death or serious injury. Manufacturers must also report to the FDA when they become aware that their device has malfunctioned and would be likely to cause or contribute to a death or serious injury if the malfunction were to recur."

This has nothing to do with risk classification or analysis. It's either fir the trigger or not.

I feel the investigation of the root cause would be the determination of the PA or the CA if needed. Not just because it is high risk.
If the event already occurred, there can be no PA, as PA if before something happen. The investigation of the root cause (after any correction or other immediate action) would then be used to determine if a CA is required.

Jkc3usc12

Involved In Discussions
I agree with you. The risk assessment is to help determine a potentially reportable incident. I just having a hard time saying that every reportable event leads to the capa process and also determining to report is based solely off the risk matrix. Not actually what happened.

I also have a hard time reporting when any medwatch is received which also then goes through the capa process.

I am in the process of trying to steer this away from the direction they are in.

Just seeing if my thoughts are off base?

Marcelo

I agree with you. The risk assessment is to help determine a potentially reportable incident. I just having a hard time saying that every reportable event leads to the capa process and also determining to report is based solely off the risk matrix. Not actually what happened.

I also have a hard time reporting when any medwatch is received which also then goes through the capa process.

I am in the process of trying to steer this away from the direction they are in.

Just seeing if my thoughts are off base?
I think you are in the right path.

As I mention before, the problem seems to be in the concept of CAPA. A lot of people thinks that a CA is always required when a problem is found, which is not true. ISO 13485 makes it more clear, because the text in the CFR is misleading.

An correction or other immediate action is required after an NC is detected (see 8.3.2 of ISO 13485).

After that, you need to evaluate the root cause of the NC/complaint (8.5.2 b) of ISO 13485).

Then you need to device if there's a need to escalate to a CA or not (8.5.2 c) of ISO 13485).

Jkc3usc12

Involved In Discussions
Yes those steps make sense.

You agree that there can be MDR reporting without CA?

The view of risk dictates everything so one cant go without the other. high risk report and capa. Low risk nether.

Jkc3usc12

Involved In Discussions
They view of risk dictates everything so one cant go without the other. high risk report and capa. Low risk nether.

So there is no possible MDR reporting without a CAPA being issued. Its ether both or nether. If the complaint is deemed high risk its reported and a capa.

Same thing with a medwatch received will automatically be reported and a CAPA issued.

Marcelo

They view of risk dictates everything so one cant go without the other. high risk report and capa. Low risk nether.

So there is no possible MDR reporting without a CAPA being issued. Its ether both or nether. If the complaint is deemed high risk its reported and a capa.

Same thing with a medwatch received will automatically be reported and a CAPA issued.
Yes, I understood what you said, but to do it this way does not make any sense.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B FDA-Medical Device Reporting (MDR )procedure compliant with 21CFR section 803 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
T Trend Reporting under the EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
L MDR (Medical Device Reporting) under 21 CFR Part 803 Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
B Is there a MDR (Medical Device Reporting) equivalent in China ? China Medical Device Regulations 1
C New draft MDR reporting guidance Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
R MDR Reporting for event with RUO instrument 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S MDR (Medical Device Reporting) Justification - Canned Statements Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
E Post Inspection Regulatory Action by US FDA - 21 CFR 803 - MDR Reporting Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
E Reporting Requirements - Report to US FDA if a MDR event happened outside US Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
L Interpretation of MDR Reportable Event - FDA guidance on Medical Device Reporting 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 16
W MDR Reporting - How to interpret requirements for MDR Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
Q When to File an MDR (Medical Device Reporting) For Incidents in Foreign Countries 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Z MDR Class Ir deadline (Reusable surgical instruments) EU Medical Device Regulations 12
B MDR equvalent device - can you use a medicine as an equivalent 'device' EU Medical Device Regulations 8
N Harmonized Standards for MDR Certification EU Medical Device Regulations 6
K Is UDI (Unique Device Identifier) symbol mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K EU MDR Annex 1 Chapter III: Information in the Instructions for Use-23.4 (e) the performance characteristics of the device; EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Requirements for MDR Article 22 Systems EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H EU MDR Economic Operator notifications? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M MDR EU Distributor for our CE Mark product in the for Netherlands EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R Declaration of conformity as per EU MDR (2017/745) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
K Class III Kit Box - Are translations mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
B Herbal ingredients MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S MDR GSPR Clause 17 - Software Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N Which EN ISO 17664 version compliance to EU MDR? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 3
D Hospital Decontamination and the MDR - Technical Files, UDI and PMS EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Submission of MDR File - Partner Companies - Computed Tomography (CT) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
B How to classify a medical device based on MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A MDR GSPR Checklist wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Rincewind MDR - GSPR - Annex I - Chapter II EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N EU MDR - Applicability Article 22 Systems and Procedure Packs CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
B EU MDR Perscription product guidance EU Medical Device Regulations 1
cscalise Suggestions for MDR Auditing tools EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Example of statement for procedure pack MDR Article 22? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
H MDD CM, MDR manufacturer. 2020. Is it ok? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M MDR, RED and LVD - Should our device comply with them? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E UK MDR brexit out of sync with EU MDR deadline? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
S MDR Delay - MDD design Change? (before new MDR DOA) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S Class I MDR Article 10 – QMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1
dgrainger Medical Device News MDR postponed - link to Official Journal of the European Union (24-4-2020) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K Supply Agreement Regarding MDR 2017/745 - Manufacturer-supplier cooperation Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
Ed Panek Medical Device News MDR Delayed 1 year (Posted 4/2020) EU Medical Device Regulations 9
dinaroxentool Former Class I device that is upscaled to IIa if the MDR is delayed EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J PPE, the MDR and EU 2016/425 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R An indication that the device is a medical device (MDR, Annex 23.2q) - applicable for accessories? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
R Clinical evaluation without clinical data - MDR Article 61(10) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
dgrainger Informational Postponement of MDR - adopted by the Commission - April 2020 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
R Applicability of new non-harmonized standards (MDD/MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
F The EU Drafts Bill to Postpone MDR by a Year (3/2020) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
T Commission proposal being drawn up for postponement for date of application of MDR (2017/745) EU Medical Device Regulations 7