SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

MDR requirement: Risk Management Plan for "each device"

adir88

Involved In Discussions
Annex I Chapter I 3(a) clause states:
establish and document a risk management plan for each device
I've noticed in several articles online that emphasize "each device" in this requirement.

Is this a new MDR requirement? In our company we have risk management plans for product families (each family containing a different "model" of the device), so might have an impact to this approach under the MDR. Having said this, the Annex ZD in draft ISO 14971:20xx for this clause points to Subclause 4.4 of ISO 14971:20xx with a note "covered in respect of the process requirements". I understand there were comments on Z annexes which is why they weren't included in the 2019 publication, so this could change in the upcoming amendment.

So, my questions are:
1. Is this a new MDR requirement, and if so, what approaches are you taking as part of MDR transition?​
2. Can the product family be considered as "a device" given that they share the same intended use etc. including use specification?​

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I think that no matter what responses you will get here, the only one that will carry any weight in this matter is your specific NB's one. That's where I'd go to.

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
So, my questions are:
1. Is this a new MDR requirement, and if so, what approaches are you taking as part of MDR transition?​
2. Can the product family be considered as "a device" given that they share the same intended use etc. including use specification?​
I agree that you will be at the mercy of your NB. My impression is that there are lower-hanging fruit for NB's to pick during at this time of transition rather than reaching for this specific issue, provided that a "family's" Risk Management Plan appropriately covers all members of the family. If your "wide" RM Plan clearly describes the products covered, and it has the necessary input/output mechanisms to other systems (e.g. CAPA, Complaints) I wouldn't spend effort trying to remediate those files simply as a preventative measure to possibly satisfy an external audit. If an NB auditor takes issue with your risk file, it is far more likely that it will be for some element which you haven't anticipated.

Writing only for myself, as an intellectual exercise: I would be interested to see how your file handles complaints/issues/CA/design changes for a single member of the family with respect to all the other members of the family. For example, do some members of the family get more complaints, and is the risk profile really the same for all members of the family? Are there different user groups and risk controls for different members of the family? Personally I would consider this to something of a "deep dive", but I can imagine getting to similar questions via something a simple as a review of complaints.

adir88

Involved In Discussions
I agree that you will be at the mercy of your NB. My impression is that there are lower-hanging fruit for NB's to pick during at this time of transition rather than reaching for this specific issue, provided that a "family's" Risk Management Plan appropriately covers all members of the family. If your "wide" RM Plan clearly describes the products covered, and it has the necessary input/output mechanisms to other systems (e.g. CAPA, Complaints) I wouldn't spend effort trying to remediate those files simply as a preventative measure to possibly satisfy an external audit. If an NB auditor takes issue with your risk file, it is far more likely that it will be for some element which you haven't anticipated.

Writing only for myself, as an intellectual exercise: I would be interested to see how your file handles complaints/issues/CA/design changes for a single member of the family with respect to all the other members of the family. For example, do some members of the family get more complaints, and is the risk profile really the same for all members of the family? Are there different user groups and risk controls for different members of the family? Personally I would consider this to something of a "deep dive", but I can imagine getting to similar questions via something a simple as a review of complaints.
The individual products within each family do not have any differences with respect to user groups and risk controls which makes review of the risk management file due to complaints etc. very simple. I agree keeping the family plans as is in our current system unless requested by our NB.

Many thanks!

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
The individual products within each family do not have any differences with respect to user groups and risk controls which makes review of the risk management file due to complaints etc. very simple. I agree keeping the family plans as is in our current system unless requested by our NB.

Many thanks!
Probably better to be proactive and present the question to the NB upfront, rather than wait to audit day and risk a NC.

Annex I Chapter I 3(a) clause states:

I've noticed in several articles online that emphasize "each device" in this requirement.

Is this a new MDR requirement? In our company we have risk management plans for product families (each family containing a different "model" of the device), so might have an impact to this approach under the MDR. Having said this, the Annex ZD in draft ISO 14971:20xx for this clause points to Subclause 4.4 of ISO 14971:20xx with a note "covered in respect of the process requirements". I understand there were comments on Z annexes which is why they weren't included in the 2019 publication, so this could change in the upcoming amendment.

So, my questions are:
A product family as you described can utilize the same RM Plan and Report

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S PSUR - MDR First Submission Requirement? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D ISO 14971:2019 vs MDR Annex 1, Requirement #4 - "Manufacturers shall inform users of any residual risks" ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
N Label Placement Requirement in MDD/MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Article 61 - MDR Clinical Investigation Requirement EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M EU MDR - Annex II 3b - What documents fall under this requirement? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A EU-MDR Annex I Requirement 10.1(d) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M UDI labeling MDR requirement for reusable medical device accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 12
chris1price Is there a regulatory (MDD, MDR, FDA, ISO, etc) requirement to perform a mock recall? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
A MDR - Legacy Device Review Timeframe and Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Translation requirements for the statement referred to in ANNEX XIII of MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J EU MDR GSPR 10.4.3 and 10.4.4 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
F Labelling to comply with both FDA and MDR US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
N EU MDR and its impact on existing Registrations EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Post Market Safety Update Report for devices that will be up-classified under MDR but are currently under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Y MDR Transition - make "Available on the market" after CE certificate expiration EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C MDR Classification Rule 10 EU Medical Device Regulations 13
C MDR software classification EU Medical Device Regulations 12
Y MDR requirements for Class I accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M MDR legal actions - manufacturers CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
R Products not within the MDR grace period EU Medical Device Regulations 1
shimonv MDR transition checklist EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K Re-packaging under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Ed Panek Upcoming NB MDD ---> MDR Crunch EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S MDR - System and procedure pack article 22 and all sub processes that apply ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
C Requirements for distributors under MDR: translation EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Should we assign the PRRC before the date of application of MDR (26 May 2021)? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
N Looking for a recommendation for an EU MDR Importer EU Medical Device Regulations 1
JoCam Rental and MDD versus MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Can anyone share a Distribution Agreement template under MDR 2017/745? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A MDR ANNEX XI part A or Part B EU Medical Device Regulations 0
N OBL under the MDR. Which are the obligations of the OEM? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
U Distributor obligations under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Raisin picker CECP, consultation according to Art 54 MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K Question on MDR classification EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M STED vs MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
F UDI-PI required on packaging (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Extension to shelf life of new product under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Instructions for use for Class I devices under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K Importer in EU, but not distribute in the EU - MDR obligations EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K MDR Class 1 Self Certification - Competent Authority or Notified Body? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Responsibilities of Importers / Distributors - MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R EU-MDR Article 9-common specifications Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
JoCam Certified QMS for MDR - Class I medical device manufacturers EU Medical Device Regulations 4
JoCam MDR Gap Analysis - Consultant fees EU Medical Device Regulations 10
N Is there a need for clinical test of Class IIa products (for MDR)? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Examples of Combination Products - MDR Article 1 (8) and MDR Article 1(9) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
P EU MDR Translation of Product Name EU Medical Device Regulations 3
N Is this a single integral drug device combination product EU MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
R Components to a finished medical device, MDR requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
K Quality Agreement MDR - The manufacturer is outside of EU Other Medical Device Related Standards 4