MDR requirement: Risk Management Plan for "each device"

adir88

Involved In Discussions
Annex I Chapter I 3(a) clause states:
establish and document a risk management plan for each device
I've noticed in several articles online that emphasize "each device" in this requirement.

Is this a new MDR requirement? In our company we have risk management plans for product families (each family containing a different "model" of the device), so might have an impact to this approach under the MDR. Having said this, the Annex ZD in draft ISO 14971:20xx for this clause points to Subclause 4.4 of ISO 14971:20xx with a note "covered in respect of the process requirements". I understand there were comments on Z annexes which is why they weren't included in the 2019 publication, so this could change in the upcoming amendment.

So, my questions are:
1. Is this a new MDR requirement, and if so, what approaches are you taking as part of MDR transition?​
2. Can the product family be considered as "a device" given that they share the same intended use etc. including use specification?​

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I think that no matter what responses you will get here, the only one that will carry any weight in this matter is your specific NB's one. That's where I'd go to.

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
So, my questions are:
1. Is this a new MDR requirement, and if so, what approaches are you taking as part of MDR transition?​
2. Can the product family be considered as "a device" given that they share the same intended use etc. including use specification?​
I agree that you will be at the mercy of your NB. My impression is that there are lower-hanging fruit for NB's to pick during at this time of transition rather than reaching for this specific issue, provided that a "family's" Risk Management Plan appropriately covers all members of the family. If your "wide" RM Plan clearly describes the products covered, and it has the necessary input/output mechanisms to other systems (e.g. CAPA, Complaints) I wouldn't spend effort trying to remediate those files simply as a preventative measure to possibly satisfy an external audit. If an NB auditor takes issue with your risk file, it is far more likely that it will be for some element which you haven't anticipated.

Writing only for myself, as an intellectual exercise: I would be interested to see how your file handles complaints/issues/CA/design changes for a single member of the family with respect to all the other members of the family. For example, do some members of the family get more complaints, and is the risk profile really the same for all members of the family? Are there different user groups and risk controls for different members of the family? Personally I would consider this to something of a "deep dive", but I can imagine getting to similar questions via something a simple as a review of complaints.

adir88

Involved In Discussions
I agree that you will be at the mercy of your NB. My impression is that there are lower-hanging fruit for NB's to pick during at this time of transition rather than reaching for this specific issue, provided that a "family's" Risk Management Plan appropriately covers all members of the family. If your "wide" RM Plan clearly describes the products covered, and it has the necessary input/output mechanisms to other systems (e.g. CAPA, Complaints) I wouldn't spend effort trying to remediate those files simply as a preventative measure to possibly satisfy an external audit. If an NB auditor takes issue with your risk file, it is far more likely that it will be for some element which you haven't anticipated.

Writing only for myself, as an intellectual exercise: I would be interested to see how your file handles complaints/issues/CA/design changes for a single member of the family with respect to all the other members of the family. For example, do some members of the family get more complaints, and is the risk profile really the same for all members of the family? Are there different user groups and risk controls for different members of the family? Personally I would consider this to something of a "deep dive", but I can imagine getting to similar questions via something a simple as a review of complaints.
The individual products within each family do not have any differences with respect to user groups and risk controls which makes review of the risk management file due to complaints etc. very simple. I agree keeping the family plans as is in our current system unless requested by our NB.

Many thanks!

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
The individual products within each family do not have any differences with respect to user groups and risk controls which makes review of the risk management file due to complaints etc. very simple. I agree keeping the family plans as is in our current system unless requested by our NB.

Many thanks!
Probably better to be proactive and present the question to the NB upfront, rather than wait to audit day and risk a NC.

Annex I Chapter I 3(a) clause states:

I've noticed in several articles online that emphasize "each device" in this requirement.

Is this a new MDR requirement? In our company we have risk management plans for product families (each family containing a different "model" of the device), so might have an impact to this approach under the MDR. Having said this, the Annex ZD in draft ISO 14971:20xx for this clause points to Subclause 4.4 of ISO 14971:20xx with a note "covered in respect of the process requirements". I understand there were comments on Z annexes which is why they weren't included in the 2019 publication, so this could change in the upcoming amendment.

So, my questions are:
A product family as you described can utilize the same RM Plan and Report

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A MDR requirement where unit of use packaging is too small for UDI carrier EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S PSUR - MDR First Submission Requirement? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
D ISO 14971:2019 vs MDR Annex 1, Requirement #4 - "Manufacturers shall inform users of any residual risks" ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
N Label Placement Requirement in MDD/MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Article 61 - MDR Clinical Investigation Requirement EU Medical Device Regulations 9
M EU MDR - Annex II 3b - What documents fall under this requirement? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A EU-MDR Annex I Requirement 10.1(d) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M UDI labeling MDR requirement for reusable medical device accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 12
chris1price Is there a regulatory (MDD, MDR, FDA, ISO, etc) requirement to perform a mock recall? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
D EU MDR - Change of device name (legacy device) EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J Technical Documentation as per MDR / subpoint 6.1 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M EU MDR - Retrospective Study for expanding indications of a legacy device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
B MDR Technical Structure EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Notified Bodies - ISO 13485 & MDR Technical Files ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L Configurable UDI mdr EU Medical Device Regulations 0
O EU MDR labels EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Summary of safety and clinical performance and Article 120(3) of the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M MD Class I transition period MDD to MDR - changes? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C UDI for consumable/replacement components under the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E Article 17 MDR - (Re-)Processing EU Medical Device Regulations 0
H Article 22 MDR System EU Medical Device Regulations 16
L REACH compliance with MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
L EU MDR Ramifications for no expiration date on labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R How to obtain OBL licence under Indian MDR, 2017 Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
F MDR – Article 120 – Transitional provisions EU Medical Device Regulations 8
H MDR Article 13(c) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Ed Panek Auditor MDR (Presub audit) finding EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Classification of Instruments under EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Procedure for vigilance system according to new MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Procedure for clinical evaluation according to new MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 10
R MEDDEV 2.12-1 rev 8 (Vigilance guidelines) still applicable with the MDR implementation? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Determining a device category according to the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Transactions under MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
H Has anyone undergone MDR FQA review yet? EU Medical Device Regulations 10
S UK MDR + EU MDR Declaration of Conformity UK Medical Device Regulations 1
D Does Risk Management apply to re-labeler (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H MDD VS MDR 2002-218 UK Medical Device Regulations 6
Ed Panek MDR Liability Insurance EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S MDD to MDR - Tallow Derivatives Impact EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P Update on NBOG 2014-3 to address MDR/IVDR, or any plan to do that? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S MDR GSPR Standards EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A MDR - Legacy Device Review Timeframe and Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Translation requirements for the statement referred to in ANNEX XIII of MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J EU MDR GSPR 10.4.3 and 10.4.4 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
F Labelling to comply with both FDA and MDR US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
N EU MDR and its impact on existing Registrations EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Post Market Safety Update Report for devices that will be up-classified under MDR but are currently under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Y MDR Transition - make "Available on the market" after CE certificate expiration EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C MDR Classification Rule 10 EU Medical Device Regulations 14
C MDR software classification EU Medical Device Regulations 12