MDR requirements for Class I accessories

Hi,

According to MDR, "In the case of accessories to medical devices, despite not being medical devices per se, they are covered by MDR provisions and fall under the term “device” in the meaning of the MDR. However, accessories to devices covered by the MDR by virtue of its Annex XVI are not covered by the MDR."
In such a case, if I have a Class I accessory to Class IIa medical device, does the accessory must be in compliance with MDR as of 26/05/2021 (as class I medical devices) or the accessories can be evaluated according to MDR along with the medical device?

Thanks,
Yana

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

KShaw

Starting to get Involved
Hi Yana,

Unfortunately, the MDR is not very specific to this case. However, it is clear in saying that an accessory to a medical device should be considered to be a medical device in its own right, and shall meet the requirements of the MDR. So if your accessories were classified as Class I under the MDD and will remain Class I under the MDR, they would need to transition to the MDR by 26 May 2021.

This of course does bring with it quite a lot of issues, especially with meeting the technical documentation requirements of Annexes II and III. When putting together these documents, just keep in mind to keep them proportionate to the overall risk of these accessories.

Hi Yana,

Unfortunately, the MDR is not very specific to this case. However, it is clear in saying that an accessory to a medical device should be considered to be a medical device in its own right, and shall meet the requirements of the MDR. So if your accessories were classified as Class I under the MDD and will remain Class I under the MDR, they would need to transition to the MDR by 26 May 2021.

This of course does bring with it quite a lot of issues, especially with meeting the technical documentation requirements of Annexes II and III. When putting together these documents, just keep in mind to keep them proportionate to the overall risk of these accessories.
Thank you very much for the explanation. Sounds reasonable.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Technical file requirements class 1 device MDR Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
B EU MDR Quality System Requirements - Applicable to Class I? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Clinical evaluation for a class IIa medical device - EU MDR Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Technical file structure/content requirements for Class IIa devices & new MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 14
A MDR - Legacy Device Review Timeframe and Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Translation requirements for the statement referred to in ANNEX XIII of MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
C Requirements for distributors under MDR: translation EU Medical Device Regulations 0
R Components to a finished medical device, MDR requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Ed Panek IFU Contact Requirements - FDA and MDD/MDR US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
A User interface Language Requirements - EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
G MDR translation requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R Requirements for MDR Article 22 Systems EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S MDR GSPR Clause 17 - Software Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
JoCam Certified Body Audit of MDR requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 4
JoCam Software Translation under MDR requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M MDR requirements for Co-branding EU Medical Device Regulations 5
R Foam mattresses used in hospitals - compliance with MDR requirements? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M MDR Requirements - UDI/Barcodes/QR codes on IFUs EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D CE Marking Requirements MDD & MDR - new product development covered under same scope EU Medical Device Regulations 1
L Label Content Requirements under MDR regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 5
L MDR 745 - EU Declaration of Conformity - Signature Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
F Interpretation of MDR 2017/745 Article 23 - CE Mark Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M Does ISO 13485 or MDR require you to state the origins of customer requirements or user needs? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
M CEP requirements in MEDDEV 2.7/1, rev 4 and MDR - Are all MEDDEV requirements still applicable? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M EU MDR - UDI requirements and responsibility guidance EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K EU MDR Requirements on Equivalent devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
S MDR Technical File Structure Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 12
T Oversight of Distributors - Supply chain requirements under the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 9
F Location requirements of the PRRC for the EU MDR Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 8
T Risk Management Report as per MDR Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Rincewind Pressure energy - Essential Requirements (MDD/MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J IVDR and MDR ANNEX I Requirements Template EU Medical Device Regulations 7
J Health Canada Field Action/Recall MDR Requirements Canada Medical Device Regulations 9
L EU MDR CRO (Contract Research Organization) requirements for Clinical Investigations EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J New MDR: Authorized Representative Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Sam Lazzara EU MDR Safety & Performance Requirements vs. MDD ERs (June 2017) EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Y Liability Insurance Requirements under the MDR - p. 15 (item 31) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
E Reporting Requirements - Report to US FDA if a MDR event happened outside US Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
W MDR Reporting - How to interpret requirements for MDR Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
A MDR and Poland EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Ed Panek Invitation to the MDR Dance EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M EU MDR language-Translation requiremens CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
I What are suitable indicators and threshold values in MDR/IVDR? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Sell-off legacy devices MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Eudamed actor registrations if you change AR for MDR product EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Ed Panek Which choice of the following most closely matches the MDR compliance of your company? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K Definition of SAE under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q Harmonised Standards (EN ISO 13485 / EN ISO 14971) in MDR (2017/745/EU) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Ed Panek Clarity from EC on Importer/Distributor roles in MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 9
Pmarszal BS EN 20417:2021 - Implementation Timeline Aligned With MDR? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1