MDR Software Rule 11 Formal Interpretation

ralf90

Starting to get Involved
Dear all,

Who knows of formal (read: EU, NB, IMDRF or alike) interpretation of the MDR software rule 11?

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Where do you feel interpretation is needed? Maybe which physiological parameters are considered "vital"? (Just trying to stimulate the dialog, looking for more specifics.)

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
To me the vaguest phrase in Rule 11 is "a serious deterioration of a person's state of health". What makes is "serious"? This might determine whether the SW is class IIa or IIb. I haven't seen this term discussed in relation to the MDR yet, but MEDDEV 2.12-1 rev 8 (s. 5.1.1 (c)) has the following guidance:
A serious deterioration in state of health can include (non exhaustive list):

a) life-threatening illness,
b) permanent impairment of a body function or permanent damage to a body structure,
c) a condition necessitating medical or surgical intervention to prevent a) or b).
Examples:
- clinically relevant increase in the duration of a surgical procedure,
- a condition that requires hospitalisation or significant prolongation of existing hospitalisation.
d) any indirect harm (see definition under section 4.11) as a consequence of an incorrect diagnostic or IVD test result or as a consequence of the use of an IVF/ART device when used within MANUFACTURER´s instructions for use (use errors reportable under section 5.1.5.1 must also be considered).
e) foetal distress, foetal death or any congenital abnormality or birth defects.
The above has multiple issues in relation to the MDR clause though.

Last edited:

ralf90

Starting to get Involved
Indeed, this is the document I also use. What I presume is that there will become more 'formal' documents available, or interpretations of groups with an important opinion. I understood that MDCG made a draft document regarding this topic, but I cant seem to find this. Maybe someone else?

In this stage I think we all favor formal documents which have issues above having no documents or interpretations available.

ralf90

Starting to get Involved
Where do you feel interpretation is needed? Maybe which physiological parameters are considered "vital"? (Just trying to stimulate the dialog, looking for more specifics.)
I am unsure about words like: "serious". Also I can imagine a timeframe of the negative consequences referred to are of importance. There are lots of diagnostic visualisations that in principle can lead to death if you take a timeframe which is long enough. Is this maybe meant the same as the 3rd point of rule 10?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G EU MDR 2017/745 Rule 11 interpretation - Re-classification of a Software as Medical Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
C MDR software classification EU Medical Device Regulations 12
S MDR GSPR Clause 17 - Software Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B Notified Bodies for Software (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C MDR - Question around software accesories EU Medical Device Regulations 2
JoCam Software Translation under MDR requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Informational EU – Guidance on Qualification and Classification of Software in Regulation (EU) 2017/745 – MDR and Regulation (EU) 2017/746 – IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
dgrainger Informational MDCG 2019-11: Guidance on Qualification and Classification of Software in Regulation (EU) 2017/745 – MDR and Regulation (EU) 2017/746 – IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Qualification of a Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) guidance under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 9
C Deadline for compliance with added MDR harmonized standards CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
D Is sampling allowed for MDR Class III products? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A MDR Article 16 Certification of Distributors by a Notified Body? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C MDR - Annex II _3. DESIGN AND MANUFACTURING INFORMATION_a EU Medical Device Regulations 3
F MDR GSPR 23.4 (c) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
B What are "appropriate drawings" required for a MDR in 21CFR820? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Ed Panek MDR Harmonized Standards Updated EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M MDR transfer for legacy devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Ed Panek Auditor Comment about MDR vs MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 10
N The new MDR requirements - SPR section #10.4 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
T Choosing a Notified Body for MDR - SGS/BSI/DNV/DQS-MED Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
M Reworking MDD product w MDR labeling CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
A MDR and Poland EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Ed Panek Invitation to the MDR Dance EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M EU MDR language-Translation requiremens CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
I What are suitable indicators and threshold values in MDR/IVDR? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
A Sell-off legacy devices MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Eudamed actor registrations if you change AR for MDR product EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Ed Panek Which choice of the following most closely matches the MDR compliance of your company? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K Definition of SAE under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q Harmonised Standards (EN ISO 13485 / EN ISO 14971) in MDR (2017/745/EU) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Ed Panek Clarity from EC on Importer/Distributor roles in MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 9
Pmarszal BS EN 20417:2021 - Implementation Timeline Aligned With MDR? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
T Dental lab acrylics and MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Biggest issues when producing MDR compliant Technical Files / DD EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A Declaring Conformity with MDR Article 120(3) for an MDD Legacy Device EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D EU MDR - Change of device name (legacy device) EU Medical Device Regulations 17
J Technical Documentation as per MDR / subpoint 6.1 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M EU MDR - Retrospective Study for expanding indications of a legacy device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
B MDR Technical Structure EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Notified Bodies - ISO 13485 & MDR Technical Files ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L Configurable UDI mdr EU Medical Device Regulations 0
O EU MDR labels EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Summary of safety and clinical performance and Article 120(3) of the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M MD Class I transition period MDD to MDR - changes? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C UDI for consumable/replacement components under the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
E Article 17 MDR - (Re-)Processing EU Medical Device Regulations 0
H Article 22 MDR System EU Medical Device Regulations 16
L REACH compliance with MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
L EU MDR Ramifications for no expiration date on labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R How to obtain OBL licence under Indian MDR, 2017 Other Medical Device Related Standards 2