Please disable your adblock and script blockers to view this page
Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

MDR Software Rule 11 Formal Interpretation

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Where do you feel interpretation is needed? Maybe which physiological parameters are considered "vital"? (Just trying to stimulate the dialog, looking for more specifics.)

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Super Moderator
To me the vaguest phrase in Rule 11 is "a serious deterioration of a person's state of health". What makes is "serious"? This might determine whether the SW is class IIa or IIb. I haven't seen this term discussed in relation to the MDR yet, but MEDDEV 2.12-1 rev 8 (s. 5.1.1 (c)) has the following guidance:
A serious deterioration in state of health can include (non exhaustive list):

a) life-threatening illness,
b) permanent impairment of a body function or permanent damage to a body structure,
c) a condition necessitating medical or surgical intervention to prevent a) or b).
Examples:
- clinically relevant increase in the duration of a surgical procedure,
- a condition that requires hospitalisation or significant prolongation of existing hospitalisation.
d) any indirect harm (see definition under section 4.11) as a consequence of an incorrect diagnostic or IVD test result or as a consequence of the use of an IVF/ART device when used within MANUFACTURER´s instructions for use (use errors reportable under section 5.1.5.1 must also be considered).
e) foetal distress, foetal death or any congenital abnormality or birth defects.
The above has multiple issues in relation to the MDR clause though.

Last edited:
Indeed, this is the document I also use. What I presume is that there will become more 'formal' documents available, or interpretations of groups with an important opinion. I understood that MDCG made a draft document regarding this topic, but I cant seem to find this. Maybe someone else?

In this stage I think we all favor formal documents which have issues above having no documents or interpretations available.

Where do you feel interpretation is needed? Maybe which physiological parameters are considered "vital"? (Just trying to stimulate the dialog, looking for more specifics.)
I am unsure about words like: "serious". Also I can imagine a timeframe of the negative consequences referred to are of importance. There are lots of diagnostic visualisations that in principle can lead to death if you take a timeframe which is long enough. Is this maybe meant the same as the 3rd point of rule 10?

Top Bottom