MDR technical file: does it need to contain duplicates of controlled documents

DannyVerbiest

Starting to get Involved
Hi,
We currently have a physical binder containing all documents that are part of our device's technical file.
Of course, if one of these documents gets an update, we have to make sure to print and update our physical binder to avoid descrepancies.

My question:
- is it possible to create a technical file that refers to documents rather than having the actual document duplicated and saved in the file?
- if above is possible, is it required to have a version for each document that is part of the TF? I presume it is...

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Hi,
We currently have a physical binder containing all documents that are part of our device's technical file.
Of course, if one of these documents gets an update, we have to make sure to print and update our physical binder to avoid descrepancies.

My question:
- is it possible to create a technical file that refers to documents rather than having the actual document duplicated and saved in the file?
- if above is possible, is it required to have a version for each document that is part of the TF? I presume it is...

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
1. My notified body doesn't seem to have an issue with us referencing documents if that's what you mean?
2. If the document in question is controlled then it needs to have a version number

Cybel

Involved In Discussions
Yes, providing that in the TF you indicate review number and date of the referred document and that is reflects the most updated document at any time.
My NB does not accept non-controlled documents referred to in the TF.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Watchcat Anyone had an MDR technical file review/audit yet? EU Medical Device Regulations 13
N Technical file requirements class 1 device MDR Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
S MDR Technical File Structure Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 12
D MDD to MDR - Technical File conversion EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D Technical file structure/content requirements for Class IIa devices & new MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 14
Z How to keep up with changes on applicable technical standards (EU MDR)? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Y EU MDR Technical Documentation - Defined Review EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Biggest issues when producing MDR compliant Technical Files / DD EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J Technical Documentation as per MDR / subpoint 6.1 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B MDR Technical Structure EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Notified Bodies - ISO 13485 & MDR Technical Files ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R MDR & depth of technical files review by NB's EU Medical Device Regulations 18
P MDR/IVDR Annex III - Technical documentation on PMS EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D Hospital Decontamination and the MDR - Technical Files, UDI and PMS EU Medical Device Regulations 3
I Maintaining Technical Documentation under MDD and MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C Access to Technical Documentation - MDR Chapter VI Article 61 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
N EU MDR Basic UDI-DI and Technical Documentation for Systems EU Medical Device Regulations 22
D MDR and Summary Technical Documentation Files EU Medical Device Regulations 18
M Clinical evaluation process of FDA and MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
G MDR CE Experation date EU Medical Device Regulations 0
C MDR vs CMDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
O MDR language requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 12
K Whether the product is an accessory according to the MDR definition EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L Adverse Event Reporting Flowchart (MDR EU) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Doninina Trend Reporting for medical device class IIb according to MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Ed Panek MDR Delay? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
dgrainger Informational Proposal to address MDR challenges EU Medical Device Regulations 16
goldenguo MDR/IVDR Insurance and Liability for Manufacturers, EU Representative and Importer EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B MDR PSUR versus Canadian Summary report EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C MDR 2017/744 Article 22 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Sales of MDD devices with expired CE that are pending MDR certification EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D New Device Post Market Requirement for MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D EU MDR Derogation EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Doninina Risk management file according MDR or ISO 14971:P2019 ? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M On-demand EU MDR Compliance toolkit with online training courses, templates & document management system Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
M EU MDR (GSPR Checklist) consolidated with TGA EP Checklist EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A PMSR or PSUR for legacy MDD-class I becoming MDR class-IIa EU Medical Device Regulations 8
H MDR clinical evaluation EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Possible topic for Master thesis topic - MDR and QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Does the MDR article 10 (14) needs to be documented word for word in a Procedure? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N Adding New Products during MDR transition period Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
L Internal Audits during the MDR Transition Period EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S OEM- Virtual Manufacturer contract MDR Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 0
J TGA CER & EU MDR CER Requirements for Australia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
G MDR DRAFT DoC EU Medical Device Regulations 7
F MDR Distributor EU Medical Device Regulations 6
A Class 2b medical device - best pathway to obtain CE mark? (2022, MDR 2017/745) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
M Declaration of conformity MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 10
dgrainger Informational Manual on Borderline for MDR/IVDMDR EU Medical Device Regulations 6
G MDR Requirements for Samples EU Medical Device Regulations 5