SBS - The best value in QMS software

Measurables for Plastic Injection molding process

Hello all,

I am working in a Plastic injection molding company and I am tasked with finding our current state. To do that I am thinking of measuring mold change over time, start-up scrap, regrind parts, and downtime for any reasons after startup. We want to know the current state and in the next year want to decide on the improvements and future state in a measurable way. I will have to do this manually - using sheet and dependent on operator and set-tech for raw data as we are a small company and do have any automation.

I need your expertise and ideas on what is the best way to measure the current state of an injection molding process and what should I measure. All the ideas are appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
The first thing I would do is ask whomever it was that "tasked" you to be more explicit in what they want to know. Simply saying "Go find out what the current state is" isn't nearly enough guidance to be able to do what you've been asked to do. You'll get some suggestions here, but unless you tie someone down to what they want to know, when you get done you're likely to hear "Well, that's all very good, but what about..."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Creating goals and objectives with targets and measurables for self-evaluations Management Review Meetings and related Processes 2
S Measurables for Shipping Process Management Review Meetings and related Processes 2
N How would you approach failing quality objective measurables? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 12
Q Shipping Measurements (Measurables) other than On-Time Delivery ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L Metrics (Measurables) Required by ISO/TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
J Corrective Action Objectives - Measurables ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J Determining Measurables of Different Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
E Process Diagrams and Measurables - Do you HAVE to have a measurable? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
C What Metrics (Measurables) Does TS16949 Require? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A How many processes and measurables have you identified ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A What measurables have you identified for "Control of non-conforming product" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Proud Liberal Developing QMS (Quality Management System) Measurables Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 17
M What is the essence of an effective quality policy? What Measurables to use? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
I Customer Satisfaction - Tracking and Measurables Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 38
D Continuous Improvement Plan - Plastic injection molding IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Z Rapid audit template for plastic parts manufacturing process Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
D IMDS for Like Components (Interior Plastic, Leather/vinyl Armrest, etc.)other than Color APQP and PPAP 1
A Help establishing regulatory requirements - Plastic dental cartridge syringe US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
C ABS plastic : which IEC 60601-1 tests to redo? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
A Glass and brittle plastic Policy - Required per FSSC 220002-4? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
Nicole Desouza Plastic Extrusion of Medical Device Components - No ISO or AS 9100 Certifications Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 7
Nicole Desouza AS9100D - Calibration of Dies & Tooling - Plastic Extrusion AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Fernando Drumond Calibration and Control of Plastic Volumetric Measurement Instruments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
erozas2003 Color test on molded plastic parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Z CQI-15 Welding System Assessment - Robotic Ultrasonic Foam onto Plastic "Weld" applicable? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
M Informational 2019 Meeting Materials of the General and Plastic Surgery Devices Panel Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational The USFDA Announces General and Plastic Surgery Devices Panel of the Medical Devices Advisory Committee Meeting on March 25-26, 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Looking for FMEA plastic injection molding FMEA and Control Plans 8
John Broomfield Cleaning plastic from our oceans - The Ocean Cleanup Venture Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 33
Y How to fix weight tolerance for plastic injection molded part? Does it vary with material groups? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Cleaning plastic parts for sterilized medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
smryan Chemistry and physics of plastic behavior - Any plastics experts in the house? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
K Sampling Plan for transparent tubular plastic parts from 32 different cavities Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
L I need an example rework procedure/instruction for injected plastic parts Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
J Finishes on Plastic Molded Parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
D Hot Plate Welded Plastic Strength Validation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
K Testing Large Plastic Pipe Imported Legacy Blogs 0
L Product Requalification for Plastic Injected Parts APQP and PPAP 3
A Plastic Injection Molding Process Troubleshooting Guide Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
T Customer Requirement for Sorting - Visual Defect on Plastic Part IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
M How to fix a plastic bag on leg with a bandage to take a shower Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
M Kinds of plastic for molded parts in a main frame as structure Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
M Best Type of Grease for Vex Plastic Gears Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
M Lot Numbers of Plastic Disposables in an LDT (laboratory developed test) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S What is appropriate PPM level for a Plastic Injection Moulding Supplier Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
P Cross Section Issue - Dissecting a plastic part for measurement Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
N What Can I Do With Plastic Pellet Scrap? Manufacturing and Related Processes 17
K Plastic Resin designated as Significant Characteristic Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
S ECH (ethylene chlorohydrin) residues - Plastic catheter packed in a sterile bag Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
J Plastic Compatibility tests with the contact of mucous membranes Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3