Measure 3 times, for calibration report? Customer Owned Reference Standard

greif

Involved In Discussions
When measuring a linear dimension customer part for calibration, is it standard practice to measure each designated point three times and report the average?
I see that Webber does this for gauge blocks and notes it on the report. I wonder if others do it as part of their procedure, but may not mention it on the report.

It seems like a good practice.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
linear dimension customer part for calibration
Problem...
  • Linear Dimension - Measurement of a customer part is not "for calibration".
  • Gauge blocks are not "customer parts". They are "reference standards".
Experts - What am I missing in this?

greif

Involved In Discussions
Being a bit of a stickler? Where it says "customer part", please read "customer owned Reference Standard".
If a Calibration Report is to be issued, to job is to calibrate the customer Item.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Where it says "customer part", please read "customer owned Reference Standard"
A significant clarification. Thank you. Thread title clarified and thread tagged appropriately.

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
You need to define what you are doing, so the customer can interpret the results.

I've seen an average given for pin gauges, measuring each end and the center. Personally I feel that would be useless to a customer, but if that is OK with the customer then there is no problem.
Magic phrase - is it OK with the customer? Is that what they expect?

Go back to my pin gauge example. If I report the average, but the customer thinks I am reporting the worst case of the three measurements, then there is a problem.

Top Bottom