Measurement Error - How to determine what is acceptable?

Hello Everyone,

I need some guidance her,

In a gage R&R Study, what should be the Ratio of the Gage variation (Equipment Variation (%EV)) to the Parts variation (%PV)?

How can we say that the conducted Gage R&R Study is good,
1) If the variation of the Gage is High?
of
2) If the Variation of the Parts is high

Can Anyone Plese help me here.
Thank You.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
The typical guidance given is that the total R&R as a % of the study variation (%SV), the tolerance (%Tol), or process variation (%PV) is < 10% (ideal); 11 - 30% (may be acceptable depending on the application); > 30% (unacceptable).

If you are using the gauge for process control (i.e., SPC), use %PV (ideal if you have capability data) or %SV . Alternatively, use ndc (> 5).
If you are using the gauge for inspection to tolerance, use %Tol.
If you want to identify the major source of measurement error, use %contribution to focus improvement efforts.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
If you are new to Gage R&R - then I suggest reading up on the topic as it - like so many things - is somewhat complicated. Both Miner and I have some good resources in the resources section of this site. You might also try reading some of Donald Wheeler’s articles (they are free at quality digest .com)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Definition MPEE - Maximum Permissible Error for Length Measurement Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
B Measurement Error on pure Graphite Coating on Tubes - To Error or Not to Error Using Minitab Software 7
S How to define Permissible Error for Measurement and Test Equipment? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
bobdoering Dr. Wheeler on "How Measurement Error Affects the Four Ways We Use Data" Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 0
P Measurement Error Requirements - 99% or 99.73% spread to represent the 'full' spread? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Measurement Error When Measuring a Defect - Scratches Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 14
I Gage Error vs. Dimensional Tolerance - Accuracy needed for measurement equipment Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 10
M Maximum Permissible Error for Monitoring and Measurement Devices General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
Z Definition Measurement Error - Precise definition of Measurement Error Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
K Best Measurement Systems Demos in California? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
K Process Mapping - Inputs/Outputs/Detail Activities/Control points/Measurement? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
B IEC 60601-2-10 - Accuracy of Pulse Parameters - Required Measurement Uncertainty IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
N Program or application for standard time measurement in industry from video surveillance? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 1
M Defining frequency of measurement tools callibration Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
T How to “validate/qualify” a new measurement equipment? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Bev D Verification and Validation of Measurement Systems Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
F How do you add accuracies for tools with different measurement devices? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Viable count Measurement ISO Standard Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
J Gauge R&R on a torque measurement Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
W Air Quality Measurement Hardware and Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
O Dimension Measurement Tool Recommendation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 21
G Does pitch/increment/resolution of a ruled scale apply to measurement uncertainty as line item? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 10
Marco Bernardi Plane measurement with a 3D touch machine like a CMM. Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
Marco Bernardi Diameters measurement with 3D touch machine like a CMM Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
R Uncertainty in measurement larger than tolerance Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
R Measurement Uncertainties Budget for Thermometer Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 6
O Performance Measurement ISO 9001: 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
O Monitoring performance - How do I determine performance measurement basis within my organization? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
G What information to put on measurement Dimensional Results APQP and PPAP 7
D O Ring capability and measurement - What is the automotive 'norm' for capability studies on O Rings? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
F Electrical Metrology (Source/Generation and Measurement) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G Gauge R&R on multiple dimensions using 3D measurement system Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
F Measurement Audit and ILC for ISO 17025 Clause 7.7.2 - Comparison with results of other laboratories ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
Emran.mi Measurement system analysis - Can you help me about implementation MSA for CMM device Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
K ISO 17025:2017 clause 7.6.2 - Performing calibration of its own equipment shall evaluate the measurement uncertainty ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
Q How should I analyze measurement correlation between me and customer? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
I Determining Calibration Tolerance of a Measurement Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Fernando Drumond Calibration and Control of Plastic Volumetric Measurement Instruments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Measurement Unit Rounding Nonconformity - Notified Body Audit Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
Q ISO 9001 Clause 9.1 - Monitoring measurement analysis and evaluation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Gage R&R for Instant Measurement Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
N Justifications for not performing MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
T ISO 13485 8.2.5. Monitoring and measurement of quality management system processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Records required for ISO 9001 clause 7.1.5.1 - Fitness for purpose of the monitoring and measurement resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Ron Rompen Measurement Method Challenge - Measure feature #91 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
T MSE for dynamic balance measurement? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
R Pls help --- Need expert advice on Video Measurement Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 0
R Measurement - Center Points not taken into account Using Minitab Software 3
B True Position Measurement Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
G Reporting measurement uncertainty for custom items Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2