Measurement of Performance based on Internal Audit Reports

PE-2011

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi,

I would like to measure the performance based on the internal audit report. Can anyone suggest any tools for the same.

Regards
Maheswari

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ted Schmitt

Re: Measurement of Audit Reports

Hi,

I would like to measure the performance based on the internal audit report. Can anyone suggest any tools for the same.

Regards
Maheswari
Before you define the tool used, it would help us if you defined "measure the performance". Do you want to tabulate NC per process ? By major or minor? By cause? By department? By product? Or make a summary for management?

PE-2011

Before you define the tool used, it would help us if you defined "measure the performance". Do you want to tabulate NC per process ? By major or minor? By cause? By department? By product? Or make a summary for management?
Yes as I mentioned in my second quote, I want to make a summary for management.

M

Markaich

I'm not a particular fan of audit systems that give scores.

In my experience (a large number of audits using DNV's ISRS protocol across three nuclear licensed sites), auditees tend toward point grabbing, that is implementing arrangements for no other purpose that gaining a few additional points, quite often there is no business benefit.

Currently the DNV ISRS is at version 8; version 7 was a great improvement on 6 but I have no knowledge of 8. There is still the very real danger of point grabbing however.

I would advise trying to find some other tool for quantifying performance (Balanced Scorecard for instance) rather than using audit.

Hope this helps
M

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Thanks. It is helpful, thanks.

Actually our internal audit plan is quarterly. I want to measure department wise audit result. I mean I wish to check each department's up-down level in each quarter.
Measuring a department's %-increase or %-decrease in audit findings is a metric, however what do you wish to gain from it? How does it add value to the overall audit process? How does it show improved or worsening performance of a department?

There are other variables to consider when looking at findings, such as:
  • Finding classification - major / minor
  • Clause associated with finding - repeats? first time?
  • Serverity of finding - risk of nonconformance, cost of nonconformance, etc.

For example, let's say a department is audited in one quarter and there are 4 findings. The next quarter there is only 1. At first glance, it appears they have improved, HOWEVER, what if that one finding would have resulted in a massive recall of products whereas those first four were simply documentation errors and record-keeping issues? Which, to you, requires more attention and discussion when presenting the numbers to management?

If you do a search for 'audit metrics', you should see several threads appear where we have discussed suitable (and not so suitable) indicators that can be used for evaluating the health of an audit programme.

PE-2011

Hi, Thanks. I am sure, measuring audit performance will definitely increase the quality and performance of an organization. For example, production department: we are measuring how many production plan planned during one quarter, how many done within time, how many late productions, why late productions, and resultant customer satisfaction. Same way behaviour of employees also auditing.

So each quarter if we measure it, is it add value to the organization or not?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Performance Measurement ISO 9001: 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
O Monitoring performance - How do I determine performance measurement basis within my organization? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
W MR Inputs (9.3.2) - "Monitoring and Measurement Results" vs. "Process Performance" Management Review Meetings and related Processes 8
D Performance Measurement Data ? Delivery Process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M Excel sheet for calculating Measurement of Delivery Performance Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
M Calculating OEE Performance Measurement for a CNC Plasma Cutter Manufacturing and Related Processes 19
G 4.5.1 Performance Measurement & Monitoring - relevant information and analysis? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
P Supplier Performance Measurement PPM (parts per million)? Benchmarking 10
Mikael Product Performance Measurement and Difference Benchmarking 0
L Boeing Video "Supplier Performance Measurement in BEST" - Supplier Expectations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
C Automotive OEM Score Card Templates - Supplier performance measurement tool Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 18
C Can I get clarification on performance measurement and monitoring for 18001? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
J What performance measurement is applicable for QA Inspectors? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
S How can Balanced scorecard (a measurement of performance tool) be used in ISO 9001? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
J Balanced Score Card - Using this method for performance measurement Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
K Software Validation for Measurement Tools used in Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
K Best Measurement Systems Demos in California? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Measurement Error - How to determine what is acceptable? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
K Process Mapping - Inputs/Outputs/Detail Activities/Control points/Measurement? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
B IEC 60601-2-10 - Accuracy of Pulse Parameters - Required Measurement Uncertainty IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
N Program or application for standard time measurement in industry from video surveillance? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 1
M Defining frequency of measurement tools callibration Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
T How to “validate/qualify” a new measurement equipment? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Bev D Verification and Validation of Measurement Systems Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
F How do you add accuracies for tools with different measurement devices? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Viable count Measurement ISO Standard Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
J Gauge R&R on a torque measurement Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
W Air Quality Measurement Hardware and Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
O Dimension Measurement Tool Recommendation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 21
G Does pitch/increment/resolution of a ruled scale apply to measurement uncertainty as line item? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 10
Marco Bernardi Plane measurement with a 3D touch machine like a CMM. Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
Marco Bernardi Diameters measurement with 3D touch machine like a CMM Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
R Uncertainty in measurement larger than tolerance Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
R Measurement Uncertainties Budget for Thermometer Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 6
G What information to put on measurement Dimensional Results APQP and PPAP 7
D O Ring capability and measurement - What is the automotive 'norm' for capability studies on O Rings? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
F Electrical Metrology (Source/Generation and Measurement) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G Gauge R&R on multiple dimensions using 3D measurement system Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
F Measurement Audit and ILC for ISO 17025 Clause 7.7.2 - Comparison with results of other laboratories ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
Emran.mi Measurement system analysis - Can you help me about implementation MSA for CMM device Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
K ISO 17025:2017 clause 7.6.2 - Performing calibration of its own equipment shall evaluate the measurement uncertainty ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
Q How should I analyze measurement correlation between me and customer? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
I Determining Calibration Tolerance of a Measurement Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Fernando Drumond Calibration and Control of Plastic Volumetric Measurement Instruments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Measurement Unit Rounding Nonconformity - Notified Body Audit Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
Q ISO 9001 Clause 9.1 - Monitoring measurement analysis and evaluation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Gage R&R for Instant Measurement Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
N Justifications for not performing MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
T ISO 13485 8.2.5. Monitoring and measurement of quality management system processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Records required for ISO 9001 clause 7.1.5.1 - Fitness for purpose of the monitoring and measurement resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10