Measurement of uncertainty for standard mechanical properties

• Thread starter TheGoldenBlazer
  • Start date
T

TheGoldenBlazer

Good Evening Cove!

This is my first post after being a lurker for a week or so. I'm in charge of getting our lab ISO 17025, and am a good way into the process. Our lab is a testing lab looking to get certified in mechanical testing of steel products (tensile, hardness, etc).

The question I have is about measurement of uncertainty. For standard mechanical properties, I can just state we follow ASTM304 (I think that's the procedure, I'm at home), which has built in uncertainties in it correct? I don't have to do some type of random/systematic error analysis?

Thanks to Marc for putting these forums up and maintaining them. I've already learned a lot lurking around here! :D

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Uncertainty

Welcome to posting! We are glad you learned a lot, that should make it a bit easier for you.

Based on the reference to ASTM, I presume the lab is in the US.

For the ASTM, the key is whether the Precision and Bias part actually says something. If it states something like information will be added in a future revision, then you need to do uncertainty. If the statement gives some detail of a study with various labs and the results, then you are correct, your chosen accrediting body will generally accept that.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom