Measurement Risk Management - 4:1 Test Accuracy Ratio Guardband

M

Mike Czech

Before we establish a measurement requirement, we must first establish the quality requirement for the product or process. Example: A car door must open and close 1 million times without falling off it's hinges and it must stay where we put it and not bang us in the shins or open into traffic. We analyze these requirments and turn them into a design requirement. As part of this design requirement, we end up with performance limits or tolerances on components. These in turn must be measured and verified for a successful product or process output, ie defects per thousand, million, etc.

The measurement equipment used to verify the product or process performance limits/tolerances must meet it's own performance requirement over a given time interval,(accuracy and End-of-Period in-tolerance probability).

There is risk associated with a the measurement being made and this risk is passed onto the product or process in the form of scrap costs, rework costs and consumer rejection of the product.

Measurement risk can be defined as false accept consumer risk,(the percent probability the equipment is not within it's performance limits), rather than the nebulous 4:1 accuracy ratio.

How do you ask the customer (user) to define the measurement risk they can tolerate?

------------------

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm going to take a stab at answering your question. Its a rather complex issue, and I'm not altogether certain I can give you a satisfactory answer.

I'll start with the 4:1 Test Accuracy Ratio. That is an important consideration. It is normal to assign a percent probability that test equipment will remain in tolerance. A typical figure is 95%. Without having the statistical data in front of (nor the time today to do the calculations), the 4:1 test accuracy ratio (normally between measurement standard, and unit to be calibrated, for each parameter regardless of whether single or multiple parameter) gives a statistical increase in confidence. That is, the 4:1 is a guardband so that unit being calibrated, even if the measurement standard may have been out of tolerance, should not have detrimentally affected. Regarding the relationship between test equipment and units being tested, the acceptable risk can be defined by an acceptable Cpk value. I don't have the time to do an SPC (Statistical Process Control) class on line, but if you dig out some books on that, you'll readily find that you can develop a relationship between the repeatability/reproducibility of your measurements and the acceptable risk.

That answer even confused me a little. My suggestion is to get a copy of QS9000 MSA handbook and establish acceptable risk that way. I have seen a common minimum Cpk value of about 1.66. I don't think there is one simple answer to acceptable risk. It depends on what industry is involved. In medicine, or space shuttles or Boeing 767's or anything where lives could be lost, there is a different answer than in less critical industries.

Don't know if that is an answer. But its a try.

------------------

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Y Attribute Measurement Systems Study---Risk Analysis Methods & Analytic Method Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
K Best Measurement Systems Demos in California? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Measurement Error - How to determine what is acceptable? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
K Process Mapping - Inputs/Outputs/Detail Activities/Control points/Measurement? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
B IEC 60601-2-10 - Accuracy of Pulse Parameters - Required Measurement Uncertainty IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
N Program or application for standard time measurement in industry from video surveillance? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 1
M Defining frequency of measurement tools callibration Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
T How to “validate/qualify” a new measurement equipment? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Bev D Verification and Validation of Measurement Systems Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
F How do you add accuracies for tools with different measurement devices? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Viable count Measurement ISO Standard Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
J Gauge R&R on a torque measurement Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
W Air Quality Measurement Hardware and Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
O Dimension Measurement Tool Recommendation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 21
G Does pitch/increment/resolution of a ruled scale apply to measurement uncertainty as line item? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 10
Marco Bernardi Plane measurement with a 3D touch machine like a CMM. Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
Marco Bernardi Diameters measurement with 3D touch machine like a CMM Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
R Uncertainty in measurement larger than tolerance Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
R Measurement Uncertainties Budget for Thermometer Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 6
O Performance Measurement ISO 9001: 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
O Monitoring performance - How do I determine performance measurement basis within my organization? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
G What information to put on measurement Dimensional Results APQP and PPAP 7
D O Ring capability and measurement - What is the automotive 'norm' for capability studies on O Rings? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
F Electrical Metrology (Source/Generation and Measurement) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G Gauge R&R on multiple dimensions using 3D measurement system Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
F Measurement Audit and ILC for ISO 17025 Clause 7.7.2 - Comparison with results of other laboratories ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
Emran.mi Measurement system analysis - Can you help me about implementation MSA for CMM device Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
K ISO 17025:2017 clause 7.6.2 - Performing calibration of its own equipment shall evaluate the measurement uncertainty ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
Q How should I analyze measurement correlation between me and customer? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
I Determining Calibration Tolerance of a Measurement Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Fernando Drumond Calibration and Control of Plastic Volumetric Measurement Instruments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Measurement Unit Rounding Nonconformity - Notified Body Audit Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
Q ISO 9001 Clause 9.1 - Monitoring measurement analysis and evaluation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Gage R&R for Instant Measurement Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
N Justifications for not performing MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
T ISO 13485 8.2.5. Monitoring and measurement of quality management system processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Records required for ISO 9001 clause 7.1.5.1 - Fitness for purpose of the monitoring and measurement resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Ron Rompen Measurement Method Challenge - Measure feature #91 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
T MSE for dynamic balance measurement? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
R Pls help --- Need expert advice on Video Measurement Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 0
R Measurement - Center Points not taken into account Using Minitab Software 3
B True Position Measurement Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
G Reporting measurement uncertainty for custom items Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
F ≥5 micron macroparticles measurement in Laminar Airflow (LAF) bench (ISO Class 5) Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 0
S Measurement Terms - How do I say this in Inches? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Marc Definition MPEE - Maximum Permissible Error for Length Measurement Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
M Leakage current measurement with non-frequency-weighted device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
K Measurement Uncertainty Budget (MU) of for Ultrasonic Thickness gauge Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
S Absolute Interval measurement of CTS/CSE Waveforms IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
S Requirements for Interval Measurement test & Frequency Response test clarification IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0