Definition Measurement Uncertainty - Standard definitions for

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
I've read through this long and very informative thread, yet I do not find a formalized and agreed to definition of "measurement uncertainty". It would seem to have two applications:
1) used for performing calibration on measurement devices - a metrology environment
2) I've heard the accuracy of a measurment instrument used in a production environment also refered to as measurment uncertainty.

It seems as though in either case measurment uncertainty would be composed of several components. The apparent use of measurement accuracy as a synonym for measurement uncertainty further clouds the issue

Hoepfully someone can set me straight.

I have searched and read several on line sources, I have yet to find one.

Thanks for your assistance
Marty

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Micrometer Calibration - Resolution, Accuracy and Range

Words can have different meanings in different contexts, and the only "official" definitions are those that two or more parties have agreed to use in order to avoid confusion.

Wikipedia reference-linkMeasurement uncertainty is a pretty good treatment of the subject. Pay special attention to the GUM part of it.

BradM

Leader
Admin
Re: Standard definitions for Measurement Uncertainty

A really good point, Optimist1.:agree1:

Jim pretty much summarized the situation.

There is the VIM:
International vocabulary ofmetrology — Basic and general concepts and associated terms (VIM)

That provides a basis for standardizing definitions. Now... I for one am less than thrilled about having to pay for another ISO standard. :cool: But I do think it's worth the money, and does provide a decent reference to base your definitions and terminology. Here is their short definition of measurement uncertainty:

non-negative parameter characterizing the dispersion of the

quantity values being attributed to a measurand, based on the information used

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Re: Standard definitions for Measurement Uncertainty

Hi Brad,

thanks, but what is a VIM?

Regards,
Marty

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics