Measurements of Major Diameters of plug thread gages

C

cklapperich

The major diameter of most of my master plug thread gages seem to about a hundredth of an inch shorter on the ends, though a couple seem consistent all the way through. Why is this? Is this normal? A hundredth of an inch is a lot. :confused: Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

cklapperich

I discovered it trying to calibrate these thread gages: our calibration procedures say to measure the major, minor, and pitch diameters. And most of my master thread gages are like this - the last half or the last third or something is suddenly around a 1/100" narrower. I'm using a calibrated micrometer, I zeroed it, I took each measurement 3 times, I know now to use a micrometer. But I must be doing something wrong wrong... right? or its supposed to be like this or something? There's no way there's such a big error on all of them.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
" This seems to me to be a manufacturing defect."

OR

"I must be doing something wrong wrong... right? or its supposed to be like this or something?

I'm going to give the gage manufacturer the benefit of the doubt for knowing their business better than I do. There is likely a valid reason for the gage to be manufactured in that manner, or some error in your technique/calculations.

Or you have detected and publicized a massive coverup in the gage world, and you are now in grave danger :)

Wait a minute - Major diameter? It's to provide a lead in zone for the beginning of thread engagement.

I would contact the gage manufacturer, tell them what I believe I am seeing and ask them to educate me if nobody here provides the answer. Plenty of metrology expertise here though, so I'll be patient.

If you mysteriously disappear at least we know where to begin the investigation;-)

Last edited:
S

smkeilman

If I assume that these are for setting thread ring gages, the setting plugs can be purchased with a truncated end. The first half of these gages will have a major diameter about 0.010" less than the full form section.

You can find the manufacturing values in the ASME standard for thread gages. (not not the one for manufacturing them)

C

cklapperich

smkeilman, thank you, and yes you are correct. Which measurement do I take then? The larger measurement only right? Also, would you know the exact name of that ASME document so I can go have a look at it?

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
If I assume that these are for setting thread ring gages, the setting plugs can be purchased with a truncated end. The first half of these gages will have a major diameter about 0.010" less than the full form section.

You can find the manufacturing values in the ASME standard for thread gages. (not not the one for manufacturing them)
Just for fun I took three of our plugs and measured them, and I see no significant difference along the length of the threads. Are these old gages? It would take a lot for .01" to wear away, but if it happens it's most likely on the starting thread because it's the one that has th clear the way for the others. If the female threads being checked are consistently tight and the material is hard, that sort of thing can happen. Again, though, .01 is a lot.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Yeah, even if they were being used as deburring tools (I've seen it done ! ) :( they'd have to be worked all night and day to take them down .010

S

smkeilman

The ASME std. is B1.2 (GAGES & GAGING FOR UNIFIED INCH SCREW THREADS) and B 1.16M (GAGES & GAGING FOR METRIC M SCREW THREADS

The proper name for what you have is called a truncated setting plug gage. As long as both halves of the members meet the values listed in B1.2 or B1.16M, your member is fine. The pitch diameter should be the same all the way down the member.

The major diameters are supposed to be this way. The reason, I surmise, is to set an adjustable thread ring gage to pitch diameter only using the truncated portion. The rear (called full form) section would then be used to ensure that there is no interference on the ring major diameter. There should be no noticeable difference in drag from truncated to full form on a properly set thread ring.

Also, most of these gages are made to W tolerance, which is roughly a third as wide as the X tolerance for hole thread gages. A micrometer is not really the best tool for checking these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M What is the proper way to document measurements Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
S Is using ANSI/ASQ Z1.4-2008 the correct sampling plan to determine Pass/Fail of Apparel measurements? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
N New (Upgraded Technology) vs Existing Equipment - Measurements Shift Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
E MSA Study on MTS dynamic rate measurements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Q Measurements after Calibration Expiry General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
chris1price Error in data recording - Recording measurements in SAP Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
G How many Uncertainty Measurements for Micrometers and Calipers? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
BHobbs_Busche All Measurements taken with a Variable Gage have to be Recorded 100% IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
T GR&R Data from Caliper Measurements APQP and PPAP 3
L Color measurements R&R: what's wrong with white? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
R Standard for Rounding Measurements for Labels Other Medical Device Related Standards 9
M 10 parts, 3 operators, 3 measurements GR&R study tolerance question Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
C Uncertainty measurements for a 6 inch caliper Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 11
C MU (Uncertaincy of Measurements) definition and MU Factors Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
J Can some measurements be considered information only and not need calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
C Chamfer Measurements - Do you measure the height and width or the hypotenuse? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
5 Number of 'significant digits' in measurements Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 31
S TL 9000 Certified Companies - REMINDER - TL 5.0 Measurements Effectivity - July 2013 TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 1
S US and Metric Measurements in same Document Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
P Uncertainty of Measurements for Adhesive Weights for Peel Testing Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
G Improve final GR&R value by taking average of more measurements? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
R Using Curve Fits and Predictions in place of good old Measurements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
CycleMike 7.6.1 - ".....type of measurements system" and Plug Go/NoGo gages IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R Procedure for Measurement Uncertainty Estimation for Electrical Measurements Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
C The Dreaded Uncertainty Measurements - Confidence in your results Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
T Implementing SPC - Control Chart for Individual Measurements Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
C Building a Dimensional Metrology Laboratory to Inspect various Physical Measurements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Is it alright to let the supplier do all measurements and inspection? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
J TL9000 Common Measurements - Design and Development for Telecommunication Products TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 5
C Referencing or Using a Master Part to take Measurements Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
K Measurements - Sphere in contact with a plane General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
V Importance of Replicate Trials/Measurements in DOE Trials Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A Burrs affecting measurements and Process Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
F Supplier Measurements vs. Incoming (Receiving) Measurements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
D Gauge Analysis with 2 Complimentary Measurements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
Q Shipping Measurements (Measurables) other than On-Time Delivery ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P Not Enough Resolution for Gage R&R - 79" Panel Length Measurements Help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
Mr.Happy PPAP including FAI Parts - Customer is requiring 5000 measurements APQP and PPAP 15
K Are Surveys and Interviews considered Objective Measurements? Internal Auditing 25
T Vernier Caliper Accuracy Issue - Inside measurements were slightly off General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
R Problems Making Measurements - Agilent 8902A Measuring Receiver Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
S A2LA requirements for Electrical Uncertainty Budgets - Measurements with a slope Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
B MS Access to document metrics and performance measurements? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 1
C Measurements (Dimension) Data Anaylsis - Methods to determine trends Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
D Small Variation in Thickness Measurements in Gage R&R Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 23
M DIN6930 What table to use - Tolerances of straight line and radii measurements Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J What is ratio or reciprocity-type measurements in ISO15189 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
F SPC for Dummies - Measurements by cavity in a program called QcCalc Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
O ID on all measurements stated in the Design Record Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
T Specification Conversion from Sets to Individual Measurements? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5