Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory

Measuring Leakage Currents with IEC 60601 defined Measurement Device (MD)

swathi.sp

Starting to get Involved
Hi Benjamin,

Many thanks for your response.

Ideally is there any protocol on how frequently this frequency characteristics for "Measuring Device" need to verify. Could you please throw some light on this.

Benjamin Weber

Involved In Discussions
Hi Benjamin,

Many thanks for your response.

Ideally is there any protocol on how frequently this frequency characteristics for "Measuring Device" need to verify. Could you please throw some light on this.
There are no hard requirements for calibration intervals. But again IEC 62354 gives some recommendations. Electrical measuring devices should be recalibrated once a year, as far as I recall.

You might want to use a professional ISO 17025 accredited calibration lab for this. Calibration is more than just compare one value with another. You have tow consider stuff like measurement uncertainty and metrological traceability within the SI system to international normals.

Benjamin Weber

Involved In Discussions
what is Exact mathematical calculation of Y-axis(formula), to find the z(f)??
Try this, it will help: LMGTFY

Sorry, but I could not resist.

To be honest I have to add some further words on qualification of people who perform testing of electrical equipment:
You really have to be competent and have the proper knowledge and also theoretical background for this. Otherwise you will either run into false results (in worst case harming patients) and you are also putting yourself into danger.

Especially leakage current measurements are complex and some of the tests have to be carried out with potentially hazardous voltages and live parts being accessible!

I don't want to be disrespectful, but such questions as the one quoted let me doubt, that the necessary background and competence is present.
It might be a good idea to get the measurements done by professionals, for example from specialized test labs (ideally providing proof of competence, e.g. by ISO 17025 accreditation).

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
@Benjamin Weber - We appreciate your participation. However, you must understand that often people here are not fully competent in their responsibilities. Were that not the case, few people would be here asking questions. Please consider that in your posts.

Benjamin Weber

Involved In Discussions
@Marc @Akila.SR
Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. Just wanted to say: Better safe, than sorry ;-)

Regarding buidling a custom MD: I recommend to look for commercial solutions first. By this you avoid running into unforseeable trouble and efforts during the custom development of standard compliant MD.
A good supplier for this would be for example Compliance West (Leakage Current Networks) (I have no connections to them, but we're using the LCB-4).
Unfortunatley you still need a second MD for the required non-frequency-weighted leakage current measurements, see cl. 8.7.3 e). This is actually just the 1kOhm resistor of the frequency-weighted MD.

Best regards,
Benjamin

Top Bottom