Measuring Parts without Proper Tools - Measurement Device Resolution

E

E. Madsen - 2012

I think this is more of a discussion than really a question. If this has already been discussed, I would be happy to follow a link, but I searched and couldn't find a related question/issue.

I worked at a company that required the parts to be 10 mm +/- 0.5 mm. We were using a tape measure that was in mm. An auditor said we didn't have the correct equipment to measure to 0.5 mm, so we received a finding. We ended up changing the requirement to 10 mm +/- 1 mm because the results really didn't impact our process. Based on the tolerance, we were supposed to measure to 10.0 mm. I agreed with the auditor that we could not have made a determination if a part was 9.4 mm or 9.5 mm therefore we could not use the equipment we were using to make that determination.

Is there anyone that could have defended keeping the criteria and the same measuring equipment? Due to the nature of the part, we could not use calipers, but would an auditor accept using calipers to "estimate" the length of the part?

Thanks!!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Measuring parts without proper tools

I think this is more of a discussion than really a question. If this has already been discussed, I would be happy to follow a link, but I searched and couldn't find a related question/issue.

I worked at a company that required the parts to be 10 mm +/- 0.5 mm. We were using a tape measure that was in mm. An auditor said we didn't have the correct equipment to measure to 0.5 mm, so we received a finding. We ended up changing the requirement to 10 mm +/- 1 mm because the results really didn't impact our process. Based on the tolerance, we were supposed to measure to 10.0 mm. I agreed with the auditor that we could not have made a determination if a part was 9.4 mm or 9.5 mm therefore we could not use the equipment we were using to make that determination.

Is there anyone that could have defended keeping the criteria and the same measuring equipment? Due to the nature of the part, we could not use calipers, but would an auditor accept using calipers to "estimate" the length of the part?

Thanks!!
Just curious - was the auditor

1. third party [registrar] (show me the shall - this may be an "opportunity for improvement (OFI)," but not a nonconformance unless there was documentation that another device/instrument was to be used)
  2. second party [customer] (what does the contract say about inspection devices? Is there any record of nonconforming parts delivered to customer? If not, this is also an OFI.)
  3. internal auditor (unless there is a written process dictating a different instrument, this is ALSO an OFI)
In general, auditors cannot make up rules. Standards do not dictate which instruments are appropriate, but organization documents (internal rules, customer contracts) may. Thus, the proper response to an auditor is (put politely, if possible), "How interesting. Can you show me the document which confirms your statement?" SHOW ME THE SHALL!

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource

It's true, the auditors should not make up rules. But, having a spec of 10 +/- 0.5 and using a device that measures in 1 mm discrimination is nonsense - especially if you make up the spec, and you pick the gage. Either the spec is bad, or the gaging is bad. Somebody needs to straighten that out. Sounds like all you want is an attribute gage, because there is no chance of a meaningful variable measurement.

If this was a TS discussion, the shalls are there...and this is how they get there.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

Just curious - was the auditor

1. third party [registrar] (show me the shall - this may be an "opportunity for improvement (OFI)," but not a nonconformance unless there was documentation that another device/instrument was to be used)
  2. second party [customer] (what does the contract say about inspection devices? Is there any record of nonconforming parts delivered to customer? If not, this is also an OFI.)
  3. internal auditor (unless there is a written process dictating a different instrument, this is ALSO an OFI)
In general, auditors cannot make up rules. Standards do not dictate which instruments are appropriate, but organization documents (internal rules, customer contracts) may. Thus, the proper response to an auditor is (put politely, if possible), "How interesting. Can you show me the document which confirms your statement?" SHOW ME THE SHALL!
8.1 of ISO 9001:2008 says, in part, "The organization shall plan and implement the monitoring, measurement, analysis and improvement processes needed...to demonstrate conformity to product requirements..." thus it's very possible that there was a valid nonconformity.

The OP by his own admission was unable to demonstrate conformity to product requirements. This appears to be a case of a company painting itself into a corner with its own requirements, or lack thereof. When the requirements don't reflect the actual need, the requirements should be changed.

Wes Bucey

8.1 of ISO 9001:2008 says, in part, "The organization shall plan and implement the monitoring, measurement, analysis and improvement processes needed...to demonstrate conformity to product requirements..." thus it's very possible that there was a valid nonconformity.

The OP by his own admission was unable to demonstrate conformity to product requirements. This appears to be a case of a company painting itself into a corner with its own requirements, or lack thereof. When the requirements don't reflect the actual need, the requirements should be changed.
Based on the original post, there is no information whether the product was or was not actually conforming. If it WAS conforming, then outsiders' opinion [auditor's or ours] and subsequent "ding" as a nonconformance regarding the sufficiency of the measuring equipment is not adhering to the spirit or letter of the Standard.

Wes Bucey

It's true, the auditors should not make up rules. But, having a spec of 10 +/- 0.5 and using a device that measures in 1 mm discrimination is nonsense - especially if you make up the spec, and you pick the gage. Either the spec is bad, or the gaging is bad. Somebody needs to straighten that out. Sounds like all you want is an attribute gage, because there is no chance of a meaningful variable measurement.

If this was a TS discussion, the shalls are there...and this is how they get there.
I agree with the opinion the gaging could be "improved," but that's an OFI, not a nonconformance.

In regard to TS, yep, but the auditor is then engaging in mission creep by applying TS Standard to the OP's situation.

Wouldn't it be interesting to note whether ANY of the product were nonconforming? If not, then perhaps the gaging is sufficient for this particular operation, in the same manner that visual appearance versus supermicrometer measurement of paint thickness is often deemed sufficient for coating conformance. Just because there is a better or more concise way of performing an activity does not mean there is a SHALL to adopt such method.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

Based on the original post, there is no information whether the product was or was not actually conforming. If it WAS conforming, then outsiders' opinion [auditor's or ours] and subsequent "ding" as a nonconformance regarding the sufficiency of the measuring equipment is not adhering to the spirit or letter of the Standard.
The OP clearly stated that he was unable to discern whether the thing(s) was/were conforming or not. Quoth: "I agreed with the auditor that we could not have made a determination if a part was 9.4 mm or 9.5 mm..." and I said that, based on the bit from 8.1 that I quoted, it is "very possible" that there was a legitimate nonconformity.

Whether or not the product was actually conforming is probably irrelevant to the point at hand--the OP was unable to determine whether the thing conformed to the specifications or not.

There is doubtlessly more here than will allow any of us at this point to know for sure what was going on.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

I agree with the opinion the gaging could be "improved," but that's an OFI, not a nonconformance.

In regard to TS, yep, but the auditor is then engaging in mission creep by applying TS Standard to the OP's situation.
How would it be mission creep if it was a TS16949 audit???

Wouldn't it be interesting to note whether ANY of the product were nonconforming? If not, then perhaps the gaging is sufficient for this particular operation, in the same manner that visual appearance versus supermicrometer measurement of paint thickness is often deemed sufficient for coating conformance. Just because there is a better or more concise way of performing an activity does not mean there is a SHALL to adopt such method.
It's possible that no gaging is needed at all, but that's irrelevant. The question is whether or not a requirement was violated, and as I suggested earlier, it could have been a local requirement and not a violation of the standard. We don't know.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Had I been auditing, whether in capacity as internal, supplier or CB auditor this would have been a nonconformance, saying the application was ineffective.

Still, some information is lacking here: specifically, what their process said to define how they dealt with resolution. The details researched here would have affected the writeup, but the fact remains that an effective measurement system can't evaluate .5mm with a rule using increments of 1mm.

BradM

Staff member
Admin
I worked at a company that required the parts to be 10 mm +/- 0.5 mm. We were using a tape measure that was in mm.
What was the resolution of the tape measure? Was the smallest increment 1mm?

Do you really have clearly identified what your specification is? Are you sure your tolerance cannot be 2mm? 5mm?

Once you know what your requirement really is, you can then determine what tool you need to do the job. And... the current tool may be sufficient.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Measuring customer parts on a CMM - How many decimals to report to the customer? ISO 17025 related Discussions 28
J Measuring an Untrue Radius - Metal Stamped and Formed Parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
optomist1 Measuring Threaded Holes in Parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
S How to Locate Parts during Measuring with an Electronic Height Gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Who is ACTUALLY measuring your parts for nonconformities? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
R Checking Correlation Between Two Similar Gages Measuring the Same Parts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 14
D Interesting Discussion Is "rounding" acceptable when measuring parts? Tolerance Limits - What is acceptable? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 72
Q Gage R&R lite? This form only uses two operators measuring five parts one time Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
K Measuring Function MEDDEV 2.1/5 relation with MDD 93/42/EEC CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M Measuring FIM (TIR) - Two inside diameters - Conflicting readings between inspectors Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
ScottK Measuring thread flank angle on a screw Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
D ASTM C1064 Temperature Measuring Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B Measuring and monitoring equipment - Understanding which procedures to be compliant with ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C ISO 9001:2015 Monitoring and measuring resources. Application a service industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
V Ammeter calibration - Measuring head (on pic.) problem General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Monitoring and measuring resources - Example of how section ISO 9001 7.1.5 would apply to a manufacture of software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A CE mark - Measuring Instruments Directive confusion! CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
M Measuring Capability of Process with Multiple Specifications Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
E ISO 13485 7.6 Control of monitoring and measuring equipment - Assess the Validity ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Measuring fine tubing (< 0.100") "Wall by weight" General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
G Posting Measuring Equipment Accuracy for User Information General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S ISO 9001 7.1.5.2 - Actions Taken When Measuring Equipment is Found to be Unfit for Use General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
G ISO 9001 and ISO 17025 - Measuring tools not in calibration system General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S Calibration - Isolated current meter - Measuring patient auxiliary leakage current Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
Q Complying with ISO 9001:2015 - 9.1.1 b - Monitoring, measuring, analyzing and evaluation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Tagin Measuring supplier quality with small quantities Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
G Uncertainty of staging a short line scale standard on longer measuring machine? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
U Measuring a Golf Club Face/Grip/Shaft Rotation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
Q Acceptable calibration accuracy of a 60" linear measuring device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
H Measuring Design Process Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
C AS9100D 7.1.5.2 / Calibration of Employee Owned Measuring Equipment AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
M Effectiveness Measuring and Efficiency Measuring In ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
johnny johnson New measuring equipment selection (Cg/Cgk) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
S Cleanrooms - Particle Measuring - ISO 14644 Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
S IOQ protocol for a Micro-Vu measuring system - Is a PQ required? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
K ISO 13485:2016 Cl. 4.2.3 - Determine QMS Processes, Monitoring, Measuring, etc. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
L Radius Measuring Tools General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Proud Liberal Measuring axial and radial surface finish (16 Rz) on a broached internal radius Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
J IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.2.1 - Gauges (Measuring Jigs) Calibration/Verification Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Claes Gefvenberg Worst measuring equipment ever? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
A Calibration Interval - AS9100 - Control of Monitoring and Measuring Equipment Calibration Frequency (Interval) 8
P Tool for Measuring - Do I have to do more than one Gage R&R for the PPAP? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Auditing Fitness of Purpose for Monitoring and Measuring Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Measuring Leakage Currents with IEC 60601 defined Measurement Device (MD) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 15
rob73 Advice/recommendations for equipment to measure a soft pvc tube - Optical Measuring? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Monitoring and Measuring Resources (7.1.5) - Clarification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Measuring LiON Battery State of charge - Transporting batteries by Air RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
E Not sure how to go about measuring this part Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
G Traceability of laser based x-y measuring machine General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Measuring Solid Thread Ring Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 17