Medical Device Classification under MDR - Rule 21

Hello everyone!

I have been reviewing the new MDR for medical devices and I have a question related to classification due to the amended rules in Annex VII of the MDR. Currently all emollient products fit in the MDD as class I device under Rule 1 in Annex IX as they are non-invasive, non-sterile, non-measuring devices. This rule remains unchanged so I believe that emollients would still be classified as Class I under Rule 1:
All non-invasive devices are in Class I, unless one of the rules set out hereinafter applies.”

However the new newly introduced MDR Rule 21 should be considered:
"Devices that are composed of substances or of combinations of substances that are intended to be introduced into the human body via a body orifice or applied to the skin and that are absorbed by or locally dispersed in the human body are classified as..."

Is this rule applicable to emollient products where the intended use is moisturising the skin surface and there is no intended systemic absorption? I personally read this rule as seperate dependent clauses. And that a device would need to be intended for application to the skin and absorbed by or locally dispersed in the human body (systemic absorbed) in order to meet this rule.

Has anyone else considered this classification? And do you agree with my interpretation?

Thank you in advance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
a device would need to be intended for application to the skin and absorbed by or locally dispersed in the human body (systemic absorbed) in order to meet this rule.
I don't understand your interpretation which I emphasised above.

I see 2 conditions in the rule which seem applicable to your case:
- [applied to the skin], AND
- [absorbed by the human body] OR [locally dispersed in the human body]

So an emollient applied to the skin and absorbed by the body seems to come under this category (alternatively I could argue that it's locally dispersed in the human body). It says nowhere that it has to be absorbed by, or throughout, "the entire body". The only mention of systemic absorption is in the class III categories, and given your statement these seem N/A in your case.

Not every emollient product where the intended use is moisturising the skin surface is a medical device though. Is there a medical purpose (acc. to the MDR's MD definition)?

We sell class I medical device (gloves) under EU MDD, some products are coated with aloe vera on the inside surface of the glove. Will the new rule 21 apply to our product? If its taken as an independent clause, we believe it should not because the emollient does not necessarily affect the intended use of the glove.

Any help will be appreciated

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
We sell class I medical device (gloves) under EU MDD, some products are coated with aloe vera on the inside surface of the glove. Will the new rule 21 apply to our product? If its taken as an independent clause, we believe it should not because the emollient does not necessarily affect the intended use of the glove.

Any help will be appreciated
I think it's N/A. The intended use of the gloves is to provide protection (a barrier); people don't wear them, in the first place, to get their hands treated!
To be on the safe side though, consider not mentioning (or downplaying) the Aloe Vera in your labeling, so it's not perceived as a claim.

I think it's N/A. The intended use of the gloves is to provide protection (a barrier); people don't wear them, in the first place, to get their hands treated!
To be on the safe side though, consider not mentioning (or downplaying) the Aloe Vera in your labeling, so it's not perceived as a claim.
Thank you!!

There are ongoing discussions about this and Rule 21 as a whole as I know that different NBs are interpreting it differently. For example one of our NBs is taking the stance that ALL substance-based devices should be Rule 21 as even if they are not absorbed, because they will be dispersed ON the skin. Their interpretation as the translation from English into their language apparently is different to our English version.

So, if you go Class I then do you need to state why Rule 21 does not apply and why you chose Rule 1? If so how do you prove it without doing some sort of test / assessment to prove there is no absorption?

Interestingly a German working group has drafted a new MEDDEV (2.4 /1) which includes moisturising products specifically under Rule 4 making them IIa - so up-classification would be required even if Rule 21 is not applied. Although this will be dependent on your intended use. Of course that may not make it through to the final version so who knows?!

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
For example one of our NBs is taking the stance that ALL substance-based devices should be Rule 21 as even if they are not absorbed, because they will be dispersed ON the skin. Their interpretation as the translation from English into their language apparently is different to our English version.
This doesn't make sense to me. The first part of the sentence already includes "applied to the skin" (unless this is also twisted in translation), so the result would be "applied to the skin and [also] locally dispersed ON the human body..." - this looks like wording excess.
So, if you go Class I then do you need to state why Rule 21 does not apply and why you chose Rule 1? If so how do you prove it without doing some sort of test / assessment to prove there is no absorption?
If you go class I and your cream is benign, your classification decision is likely to stay unchallenged (maybe even unnoticed), so more likely most manufacturers in that position will suffice with claiming that it's not absorbed or dispersed in the body (perhaps with some documented theoretical rationale), and won't bother proving it beyond doubt.

Last edited:
This doesn't make sense to me. The first part of the sentence already includes "applied to the skin" (unless this is also twisted in translation), so the result would be "applied to the skin and [also] locally dispersed ON the human body..." - this looks like wording excess.

If you go class I and your cream is benign, your classification decision is likely to stay unchallenged (maybe even unnoticed), so more likely most manufacturers in that position will suffice with claiming that it's not absorbed or dispersed in the body (perhaps with some documented theoretical rationale), and won't bother proving it beyond doubt.
Agree on both counts. Re: the NB - I got nowhere in a discussion with them. We are now hoping some guidance is issued that clarifies it so that we can force the issue (not keen to do that yet as we don't need to up-classify yet and want to keep them onside for now!)

nz1nz2

Starting to get Involved
I'm also facing the same rule 21 issue as i'm working on a Class I mouth wash (MDD rule 5) and trying to avoid the up classification. As the product is being spitted out after 30 seconds we want to claim there's not absorption (easier to claim) and it is not being dispersed (harder to claim)

interesting thing that i've found during my searches is in the attached presentation (dated 2013) by B.A.H on IMDRF , rule 21 discussion is starting on page 6. Their proposal was to amend the text to "..that are absorbed by or and dispersed in the human body to achieve their intended purpose".
I assume it wasn't accepted. :-(

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
the product is being spitted out after 30 seconds
I understand that this is the intended use, but there's a high probability (IMO) that it will be exceeded - misuse - so I wouldn't use this as the basis of the classification argument unless the 30 seconds already include a big safety factor (e.g. the IFU says something like 5 s. or wash briefly and spit out immediately). With a mouthwash there's also the additional risk of swallowing small amounts, and of residues - how can you guarantee complete removal?...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Class medical device (MDD) - Classification help EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Medical Device Product Classification in South Korea Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
N Medical Device Re-Classification EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Medical Device re-classification and marketing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
N Medical Device Accessory Classification - Software as a Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
G EU MDR 2017/745 Rule 11 interpretation - Re-classification of a Software as Medical Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
M FDA News USFDA Final Rule – Medical Device Classification Procedures: Incorporating Food and Drug Administration Safety and Innovation Act Procedures Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M FDA News The FDA Issues Final Rule on Medical Device Classification Procedures Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News Medical Device Borderline and Classification Manual 1.20 - October 2018 EU Medical Device Regulations 0
H Classification of a Class IIb Medical Device with 3 Components CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
R Vertebroplasty - Medical Device Classification EU Medical Device Regulations 0
C Substance based Medical Device Classification under MDR - Rule 21 EU Medical Device Regulations 9
rob73 EU Medical Device Classification Spreadsheet EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Medical Device Classification - Laser Guided Positioner EU Medical Device Regulations 2
W Determining Medical Device Classification in Mexico Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
shimonv EU classification for a Medical Device Accessory EU Medical Device Regulations 16
J0anne MDD 93/42/EEC Medical Device Classification EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B CE Classification of a Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 17
K Classification of the Reseller of Stand Alone Medical Device Software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T CE Marking Medical Device and classification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
E Japan - Medical Device Classification for Mass Spectrometry Japan Medical Device Regulations 2
A Classification of Medical Device Accessories 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
T What is Medical Device Classification for diagnostic equipment in ASEAN ? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
T CFDA seeks for public comments on newly revised medical device classification rules China Medical Device Regulations 1
S Please explain Medical Device Product Classification Rationale 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Z Kyrgyzstan Medical Device Classification and Registration Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
B KOREA MFDS (KFDA) Medical Device Classification Rules Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
N Software Medical Device Classification Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 5
P Classification of Medical Device with Sub Code Devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Ajit Basrur Guidance Document - Medical Device Classification Product Codes Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
A Japan - Medical Device Classification for Autoclave Tape Japan Medical Device Regulations 6
D Keeping Same Medical Device Name but Changing Classification Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 3
T X-Ray Template Medical Device Classification (US) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
A Classification of Medical Device with Partial Compliance with a particular standard IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
R FDA Rules on Medical Device Classification Listings? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
Z Medical Device Classification of a Needle Holder EU Medical Device Regulations 9
Y FDA Classification for Medical Device Power Adaptors (Power Supplies) Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
D 510(k) Medical Device Classification and Regulatory Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
D Need some brainstorming on the Classification of a Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
F Classification of Medical Device Fastener in Canada (EU classification IIa) Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
R Medical Device FDA - Classification of a device used as an interface with a computer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M Medical Device Registration and Classification in Peru Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
L Medical Device FDA Product Classification help needed 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Medical Device Classification Question - Liquid Nitrogen Freezers EU Medical Device Regulations 10
T Safety Classification in Medical Device Standalone Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 26
S Medical Device Embedded Software Classification IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
W Classification of a new product - Is it a Medical Device Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
S Medical Device Battery Powered Equipment with Battery Charger Classification IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 17
E Classification (Medical Device or Drug) of Blood Bag in Japan Japan Medical Device Regulations 6
K Classification Report for a Medical Device advice and example wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 2