Medical Device Company US Importer/Distributer Status

G

Gaya123

Hi all

We are a medical device company that manufactures class I exemp device.
We are working in 3 locations:
Site in israel - specification developer
Contract manufacturer in china
and office in USA which is registered as the initial importer
I would like to ask what the USA office can or can not do regarding
1. service process - repairs
2. Software upgarde
2. Refurbished devices

Thanks

Gaya

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hi all

We are a medical device company that manufactures class I exemp device.
We are working in 3 locations:
Site in israel - specification developer
Contract manufacturer in china
and office in USA which is registered as the initial importer
I would like to ask what the USA office can or can not do regarding
1. service process - repairs
2. Software upgarde
2. Refurbished devices

Thanks

Gaya
Hi Gaya,

As far as I understand, this "US office", on top of being the registered importer, is an extension of the specification developer (its marketing arm), and as such --

Activity #1 falls under "reconditioning of multiple use devices", which is a somewhat grey area for years.

Activity #2 falls under either device changes or field corrective actions on behalf of the spec developer.

Activity #3 falls under remanufacturing of medical devices, which possibly repositions either the US office or the spec developer (or both, depends on the circumstances) as a full-scope medical device Manufacturer.

All of these activities are permitted for the US office, as long as the applicable requirements are met under the categorization I listed above.

Cheers,
Ronen.

G

Gaya123

Thank you Ronen

Let's say that I will Registered the US office as a manufacturer
What do other changed will I have to do other then registration and labeling?
Can I register the USA facility both as importer and manufacturer?
Can this manufacturer can be defined as an extension of the Israeli facility being under the same QMS?

Thanks

Gaya

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Let's say that I will Registered the US office as a manufacturer
What do other changed will I have to do other then registration and labeling?
WRT to class I devices, all manufacturers are subject to the General Controls:

http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/D...rview/GeneralandSpecialControls/ucm055910.htm

In general, for a class I (510k exempt) device these would be registration & listing, labeling and cGMP (QSR), unless it's also GMP exempt.

Can I register the USA facility both as importer and manufacturer?
I don't see a reason why not. The facility will be an Importer WRT the devices which are imported and distributed without significant change, and a Manufacturer WRT devices which they remanufacture (or otherwise manufacture).

Can this manufacturer can be defined as an extension of the Israeli facility being under the same QMS?
Yes, with one exception - obviously the importation activity can't be registered under an entity located outside the USA.

Cheers,
Ronen.

G

Gaya123

Hi Ronen
Regarding repaired beeing made by the inporter:
according to NB-MED/2.1/Rec5

"A person sending a medical device for service or repair may or may not receive
the same item back. Often a manufacturer will immediately replace the device
with another of the same type in order that the user is not left without equipment.
Alternatively, the manufacturer may operate a pool of devices of the
same kind into which the repaired device is placed. The user may receive any
one of those ?pool? devices in return for the one he sent for repair. This procedure
does not necessarily mean that the replacement device has been fully refurbished,
even if it has been serviced or repaired and checked for proper
working order."

My understanding is that the importer can get a product from a customer and send him back a product from the pool. This is not a refurbish device and the importer can do that without being the manufacturer. Does this also acceptable in USA by the FDA?

Regards

Gaya​
(

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hi Ronen
Regarding repaired beeing made by the inporter:
according to NB-MED/2.1/Rec5

"A person sending a medical device for service or repair may or may not receive
the same item back. Often a manufacturer will immediately replace the device
with another of the same type in order that the user is not left without equipment.
Alternatively, the manufacturer may operate a pool of devices of the
same kind into which the repaired device is placed. The user may receive any
one of those ?pool? devices in return for the one he sent for repair. This procedure
does not necessarily mean that the replacement device has been fully refurbished,
even if it has been serviced or repaired and checked for proper
working order."

My understanding is that the importer can get a product from a customer and send him back a product from the pool. This is not a refurbish device and the importer can do that without being the manufacturer. Does this also acceptable in USA by the FDA?

Regards

Gaya​
(
Hi,

NB-MED's apply only for the EC market.

As I mentioned in my first reply on this thread, repairs may fall under "reconditioning", an area in which FDA's requirements are not very clear and conduct is more an issue of voluntarily applying industry accepted practices. The web holds the relevant information so if you do some research you will understand what I'm talking about.

Real refurbishing falls under "remanufacturing", for which FDA has clearer requirements / guidance.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T EQMS for small medical device company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
E What are appropriate deviations for a LHR/DHR? (Medical Device Company) Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
R ISO 13485 and QMS related concepts Training - Small medical device startup company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
L A Taiwan company want to sell Class I medical device (510(k) exempt) on Amazon, should we register with FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
Ed Panek Small Medical Device company - Bring production in-house ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
I Company Safety Officer required for a German subsidiary of a Medical Device Organization? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
alonFAI Please share a medical device company NCMR procedure Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
M Start-Up Company looking for ISO 13485 Certification Body and Medical Device CE Mark Notified Body Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
supadrai Effect of a Merger on Acquired Company's Medical Device Licenses Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
A QMS - Medical Device - New company under a current one ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q GDPR consulting service for Medical device Company EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Quality Plan at a small Medical Device Company - Is the quality plan a DMR document ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q QMS Software for Startup Medical Device Company Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 7
K Quality Manual for a Virtual Company (Medical Device) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
D Help on Medical Device Manufacturing - New Medical Device Company 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
K Medical Device Regulations in South Africa - Company makes thousands of Products Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
M Can a Consultant be the main contact for a Medical Device Company? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
P What are these Medical Device Company entities? Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
S Change of Medical Device Company Registered Address - Implications Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
A Implementing Risk Management in a Medical Device "Distributor Only" company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R Canada Medical Device - Definition of "Manufacture", "Company? and "Distribute" Canada Medical Device Regulations 12
A Medical Device Recall Responsibilities between different Company Groups ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q Is there a formal process for disputing a 483 for a medical device company? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S When is a Lead Auditor Required in a Medical Device Company? General Auditing Discussions 3
Wes Bucey Doctor owned Medical Device Company Investigation Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Need Outsourced ISO 13485/FDA Internal Auditor for a Medical Device Company Internal Auditing 3
T Quality Department Structure in a Small Medical Device Company Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
S New Medical Device Company Career and Occupation Discussions 4
A Supplier Part Qualification for a Medical Device Company Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
J Pre-Revenue Medical Device Company ISO 13485 Audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
G Medical Device Company - Design Only Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A Design Company - CE Mark for a Medical Device Class 2A , Annex VI & Annex VII EU Medical Device Regulations 12
T Reference Document Training Plan for a Medical Device Company Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
R Translation SOP for Medical Device Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 22
N Internal Audit Process for small Medical Device company Internal Auditing 9
D Director vs. Manager - Roles in RA in a Medical Device Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
P Removing Detection from DFMEA - Medical Device company using ISO 13485 FMEA and Control Plans 3
S Start Up of Department in a new Medical Device Company Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
H Internal Auditing Frequency Requirements in a Medical Device Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
I 21 CFR Part 820 in English - We are an `In vitro? Medical Device European company 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
P Pharma Company wants to become Medical Device Manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 10
R Transfer of a Medical Device 510k to a Foreign Company US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 19
T Approving Consulting Firms in a Medical Device Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 25
T Regulatory Compliance SOP - What a company has to do to introduce a Medical Device Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
L Employee Signature List for Medical Device Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Non-Conformance Procedure FlowChart for a Medical Device company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M CFG - Certificate for Foreign Government - Medical Device Company based in CA, USA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
H How to Define the Quality Requirements for a Medical Device Company Supplier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
S How do you handle environmental excursions (deviations)? Medical device company Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
E "Sales Packaging" contents - Medical Device company Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1