Medical Device Contract Manufacturing Requirements and Information - Help wanted

Hey,

We are an ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 13485:2016 certified medical device company. For a new Class C/D product we are planning to partner with a Contract Manufacturer who will be develop, manufacture and test the product. I have heard about Contract Manufacturing but have failed to find a guidance document specific to medical devices.

Few more pointers:

1. The contract manufacturer does not have ISO 13485. What will be the repercussions of it?
2. Where can I understand more about quality agreement and the ownership of tasks?
3. How will the QMS of our company will come into play since they are doing most of the job?
4. Can I see a few samples of the quality agreement so I can understand more on it? Are the controls set up in this agreement? How to define the controls?
5. Guidance / Regulatory requirements if any?
6. Any other things that you want to add on.

The whole contract manufacturing and it's requirements are confusing to me. I will be glad if we can have a discussion around it so that I can learn and understand better.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Philip B

Involved In Discussions
Your Notified Body will probably view the contract manufacturer as a critical sub-contractor. If they don't have 13485 your NB may well audit them at your cost, possibly fail them then re-audit, again at your cost. However, why are you considering using a contract manufacturer who doesn't have 13485? It is pretty much an entry level requirement in the medical device world. I think you should consider finding yourself a 13485 registered partner and save yourselves a sea of trouble. Even then you will need to audit them, have a technical agreement in place, set up measures and monitors, control of specifications etc etc.

Your Notified Body will probably view the contract manufacturer as a critical sub-contractor. If they don't have 13485 your NB may well audit them at your cost, possibly fail them then re-audit, again at your cost. However, why are you considering using a contract manufacturer who doesn't have 13485? It is pretty much an entry level requirement in the medical device world. I think you should consider finding yourself a 13485 registered partner and save yourselves a sea of trouble. Even then you will need to audit them, have a technical agreement in place, set up measures and monitors, control of specifications etc etc.
Thank you Philip for your reply. The reason why we are going with a critical manufacturer without a ISO certification is because 'they' have the expertise to build the product and we are kind of depending on them if we are to take up this project. They have a couple of proto units ready and are testing them on their own for a while. The product will be Class B (at least!). So, its like they know the 'know how' and we will be taking them as our critical manufacturer. But since we will be the legal manufacturers, we want to be sure of everything.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
1. The contract manufacturer does not have ISO 13485. What will be the repercussions of it?
@Philip B has given you a good in-a-nutshell answer. You'll have to be very diligent in making sure that the CM does everything it has to do so that YOU still comply with all your QMS (13485) and applicable regulatory requirements. That in turn will probably call for some (not necessarily small) changes in the CM's work practices, and these will most likely not be completely smooth if they're not used to working in the medical field, and take some time. And the latter, in turn, may call for some difficult negotiations before an agreement can be signed. Make sure you and them know upfront what's involved and make sure to include all that in the contract.
2. Where can I understand more about quality agreement and the ownership of tasks?
You can purchase the ISO 13485 Handbook - it covers quality agreements fairly well. There have also been some discussions on this topic here - use the search function (top right).
3. How will the QMS of our company will come into play since they are doing most of the job?
Your QMS will have to include all the controls to make sure that what they provide you (the black box's output) satisfies all the requirement applicable to YOU. One way to do it in a way that I find convenient and efficient is place all those controls inside your own Purchasing Control SOP (after all, you'll be purchasing a service), possibly with an annex dedicated to CM if there are a lot of details/verbiage that would otherwise make the SOP cumbersome for all other uses (e.g. controlling other suppliers).
4. Can I see a few samples of the quality agreement so I can understand more on it? Are the controls set up in this agreement? How to define the controls?
They're usually proprietary; Yes; Refer to the guidance, or simply go through the relevant parts in 13485, or pay someone experienced to walk you through (disclosure: it's part of my line of business).
5. Guidance / Regulatory requirements if any?
As above. There's some guidance from the FDA on CM of drugs, which I don't know first hand, that might hold some useful content for you (if you go for DIY).

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Your Notified Body will probably view the contract manufacturer as a critical sub-contractor. If they don't have 13485 your NB may well audit them at your cost, possibly fail them then re-audit, again at your cost.
I may get penalized for piling on but in addition, they would likely also be the target of the unannounced audit (required at least once in the 3-yr period). And as @Philip B notes: at your cost.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Medical Device Master File - We are a contract manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R 21 CFR Part 820 Contract Manufacturer of Medical Device Component 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S 21 CFR 810 - Medical Device Recall Authority - Contract Manufacturing Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Contract Manufacturer of a Finished Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
W Requirements for Contract Manufacturing of a Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
F Definition Medical Device Contract Manufacturing PAI (Pre-Approval Inspection) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
R Role of Contract Manufacturer - MDRs (Medical Device Reporting) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
S Contract Manufacturer - Product Identification for Combination medical device Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 8
W Contract Initial Importer and Order Handling for a Class I Medical Device Service Industry Specific Topics 2
M New Medical Device Contract Manufacturers Excise Tax Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturer Registration 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 34
L Class 1 Medical Device Contract Manufacturer Technical File Requirements Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
G LST (Device Listing Number) for Medical Device Contract Manufacturer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
D Sub-Contract Manufacturing of a Class II Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D Sample Manufacturing Plan or Template for Medical Device Contract Manufacturer Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
C Regulatory Requirement Updates? Medical Device Contract Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
R Medical Device Contract Manufacturer doesn't know ISO 14971 3.4 a) Life Cycle Phases ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
F Quality Manual Template for ISO 13485 - Small Contract Medical Device Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
E Conformity Assessment choices for a Contract Manufactured Class IIa Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
G Medical Device Contract Manufacturing Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
W Financial Risk for Contract Manufacturer Partnering a Medical Device Manufacturer? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M FDA QSR Requirements - Checklist for Class II Medical Device Contract Manufacturer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Odd Contract Medical Device Manufacturing Situation - Medical Device Packaging 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
D FDA Audit - who is "eligible"? Medical Device Sub-Contract Manufacturer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 20
T Korean requirements for foreign medical device contract manufacturers? Japan Medical Device Regulations 2
C Contract Manufacturing of Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
S Looking for USA Medical Device Contract Manufacturer - Suggestions? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
V Records of Obsolete Medical Device(s) for Contract Manufacturers Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
S Looking for Quality Content to Build Medical Device Curriculum - Concept to Commercialization Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
A Interpretation of GMP Requirements for class 1 medical device manufacturer (device GMP exempt, only General controls applicable) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
A Legal Manufacturer of a medical device Vs Legal Manufacturer of MDSW EU Medical Device Regulations 7
T Loaded spring device - Active medical device? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
MDD_QNA Medical Device Software - Is a Help Button required? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Does Pakistan Medical Device Import License allows parallel import? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
K China Medical Device Labeling requirements - Language China Medical Device Regulations 3
F Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) Technical File Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Sample Agreement available for Outsourcing Medical Device Design activity? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
dgrainger Informational EU medical device website change from 'Growth' to 'Health and Food Safety' (6/2020) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B How to classify a medical device based on MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Need for a cleanroom in the manufacture of a medical device for a clinical trial EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A Software as Medical Device (SaMD) definition and its applicability Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
F Labelling requirements for a medical device containing fragrance allergens EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Medical device Reporting : Good Faith Effort for Additional information Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
A Medical Device Vigilance decision tree for Japan for class 2 devices. Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
I How to classify a medical device based on FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S The US FDA requirements on Disposal of a medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Edward Reesor EU Authorized Representative for a Class I Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
E IEC 60601-1 - Unearthed Medical Device Metal Parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
U Medical Device Design finalization testing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2