Medical Device Design Control Auditor Recommentations

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
design controls are simply a name created by regulators to specific certain milestones that any good design process should have anyway
Spot on (only I would have used "tools and milestones" rather than "milestones" only).

I like to think of (good) MD regulations as grounding established best practices.

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
I will have to think more about this. You are outside my scope of expertise on some of it.

(what is called "design controls" by regulators should be already part of any good design practice).
Agreed. This would seem to dictate that design controls do exist outside the regulatory world, just not the term? Seems to me that it's either that, or good design practice does not exist outside the regulatory world.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
I will have to think more about this. You are outside my scope of expertise on some of it.

Agreed. This would seem to dictate that design controls do exist outside the regulatory world, just not the term? Seems to me that it's either that, or good design practice does not exist outside the regulatory world.
The need to control the design process always existed, but the concept did not have a name (it was not called "design controls").

Maybe the problem is the focus on the "regulatory world". Regulations (and standards) are simply a collection of good practices from the several fields of science, they do not create anything new. In the case of engineering design, what happened is that the best practices of engineering design from the engineering design literature were evaluated, and the some were included as requirements in the regulations.

What is very common is that they invent some new names for things (for example, you won't find the term "risk management file" in risk management literature, outside the medical device standards and regulatory world because it was created to provide a way to verify the related process by regulators.

This is the same for design controls.

Watchcat

Marcelo, agree and agree and agree. Many people seem to think FDA invented...well, a lot of things, but I don't think regulators ever invent much of anything. They tend to be collectors, which they formalize by incorporating them into regulations and guidelines and giving them labels.

Speaking of labels, your reference to "engineering design" got me to wondering if by this you mean the same thing as "device design," or if you think there is potentially a distinction between the two?

Marcelo

Speaking of labels, your reference to "engineering design" got me to wondering if by this you mean the same thing as "device design," or if you think there is potentially a distinction between the two?
Medical device design (as the design of almost everything) is a subpart of engineering design (surely, you do not need to be an engineering to design anything, but the best practice design process is called engineering design, so even if you are not en engineering, it would be good to use this anyway).

See this for very generic information: Engineering design process - Wikipedia.

The most know book on the subject (by Pahl and Beitz) also is called Engineering Design - https://www.amazon.com/Engineering-...g+design+pahl&qid=1569252677&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Watchcat

is a subpart of engineering design

See this for very generic information: Engineering design process - Wikipedia.
The most know book on the subject (by Pahl and Beitz) also is called Engineering Design - https://www.amazon.com/Engineering-...g+design+pahl&qid=1569252677&s=gateway&sr=8-1
And engineering design is also a subpart of medical device design. At least, in the way I think of medical device design, which involves more than engineers. I don't know if that's meaningful, though. Will have to think about it.

Thanks for the references. I look forward to reading them. Is there a book specifically on medical device design that you would recommend?

Marcelo

And engineering design is also a subpart of medical device design. At least, in the way I think of medical device design, which involves more than engineers. I don't know if that's meaningful, though. Will have to think about it.
Sure, engineering only exists for medical devices :p Not sure if you are kidding or not, sorry.

To be clear, it's obvious that any system design includes more than only engineers, but designing systems and processes (including medical devices) is an engineering discipline, that's why it's called engineering design.

Last edited:

Marcelo

Regarding books specifically for medical device design, there are several, but I do not like most of them, unfortunately. Right now, the one that I think is the best of the bunch is Medical Device Design: Innovation from Concept to Market, from Peter J. Ogrodnik. But even this one has several problems (for example, as all other books on the topic, it makes a mess of medical device risk management).

Watchcat

Not sure if you are kidding or not, sorry.
No, not kidding, but perhaps not clear/misunderstood. To me, a complete medical device design team includes design engineer(s), marketing, regulatory, quality, and manufacturing. It is the role of the design engineer(s) to do the engineering design, but that's along way from being the entire medical design process.

This could be a matter of semantics, since I have left off "...and development." Perhaps your perspective is that all the other bits as development, not design? If so, that works, too. Just not how I think of it.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I think of it this way.
You start off with design, which splits into the technical side (which I refer to as engineering design) and the artistic/conceptual/psychological side, which is many times termed "industrial design".
That's generic. Under engineering design you can find, among other fields, medical devices engineering design. Similarly, under industrial design you can find medical devices industrial design.

Development is the process from identifying a need to the provision of a solution to satisfy this need. Engineering design and industrial design of a product may be parts of this process. Marketing, regulatory, quality, manufacturing - they all should feed into that process as well, where applicable. And this whole lovely bunch of course interact with each other in multiple ways...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U Medical Device Design finalization testing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Patient Engagement in Design and Conduct of Medical Device Clinical Investigations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R Medical Device Design verification sample prototype Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 14
L Managing design projects: New Medical Device Project or Change Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
P Software requirement and design specifications - Medical device contains both hardware and software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
L Software Medical Device - 7.3.8 - Design and Development Transfer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Design & Development, Research and Innovation in the Medical Device framework ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
3 Brasil: OEM Medical Device Business - Product Design Customization Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
G Design Philosophy - Iran Medical Device Registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
Q Medical Device Design & Development Plan Template wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q Looking for documents relating to Medical Device Design Changes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
A Sample document on design and development activities plan for a medical device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
L Medical Device New Product Design & Development- How long does this process take you? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
L Medical Device Manufacturing Equipment Design Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
M Design Inputs - Final Medical Device Specifications 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
M Class II Medical Device Design Control Non Conformance 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
A Medical Device Service Records linked to DHR (Design History Record)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
A DHF (Design History File) for a Legacy Product (Class iii Medical Device) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
G Medical Device Company - Design Only Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
K Importance of Medical Device Accessory Design Controls Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
H Medical Device Design Control Requirements (820.30) on Existing Products 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
R Medical Device Software Segregation and Detailed Design IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 10
A Medical Device Electronic Systems Design - Points to be cleared EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Design Company - CE Mark for a Medical Device Class 2A , Annex VI & Annex VII EU Medical Device Regulations 12
D Class I and Class II Medical Device Accessory Design Control Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
T 21 CFR Part 820.30 Design Controls for Class 1 Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
K Medical Device Design Validation vs Clinical Evaluation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
L When does Medical Device New Product R&D stop and Design start? Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
A Medical Device DHF (Design History File) - One per Design Change? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 17
L Creating DHF (Design History File) for Medical Device Systems Design and Development of Products and Processes 8
A How to do Medical Device Design Validation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
B ISO 13485 Class I Medical Device Design Exclusion ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
U Medical Device Design Review Records Requirements Design and Development of Products and Processes 16
A Taguchi Inner and Outer Array Design for Medical Device Testing Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
J How do I qualify a Label Design for Medical Device Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
D Medical Device Design Verification and Validation Differences 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 16
J Class II Medical Device Design Revision Controls ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C At what stage does Design Control play a role in Medical Device Development ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J What things go in Design Control Documentation for a 510k of Class II Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
J Design Control & Rapid Prototyping - Medical Device Software 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
N Medical Device Design and Development Plan Procedures help wanted 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Ajit Basrur Design Controls for medical device exported from China China Medical Device Regulations 5
S Medical Device Design Verification and Validation - info Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
T Medical Device Design Quality Plan Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
D Design Verification for special 510(k) - Size modification to an existing medical device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
SteveK Medical Device Technical Files (Class IIa & IIb) ? Design Development Documentation EU Medical Device Regulations 7
N Design and Development Plan for a Medical Device - Template needed 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
A Medical Device Design Verification Testing - Is ISO 62366:2008 what I'm looking for? IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 16
R Design Transfer - any feedback from Medical Device Conference at MDM Minneapolis? Design and Development of Products and Processes 1