Medical Device Handling AFTER the device's specified lifetime has expired

Aphel

Involved In Discussions
Hello.

Actually I have to deal with discussions about complaint handling...

If a medical device is sent back from customer to the manufacturer because of a defect AFTER the device's specified lifetime has expired - is it a requirement to treat this as a complaint acc. §820.198?

If yes - where can i find a corresponding regulatory requirement?
Any comment is appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your feedback and support!

BR
Aphel

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

Re: Medical Device Handling AFTER AFTER the device's specified lifetime has expired

My understanding is yes...particularly if harm or elevated risk was involved.

Your specified device life affects your obligation to the end user in regard to what you do to make the end user whole, i.e. during device lifetime you might send them a new unit, after device lifetime you might tell them "thank you for the information, here is our price list and ordering information".

Your specified device lifetime also may be part of your documented device performance specification, i.e. this widget will do whatever widgets do with accuracy per ASTM 12345 during its five year specified lifetime from date of sale.

But my understanding is that you have an obligation to record and evaluate the complaint, and report it to FDA if it meets reportability requirements, even if you do not have to take further action.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
In my understanding an evaluation has to take place, because the fact that the complaint was received after the device lifetime expiry doesn't automatically say that the failure occurred at that time (could have gone unnoticed or unreported - for whatever reason - for a while). Even if it failed after expiry, the defect or otherwise the root cause could have been there long before. You have to look into it in order to understand what happened and what are your obligations are as a result.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Contract Initial Importer and Order Handling for a Class I Medical Device Service Industry Specific Topics 2
C Safe Handling of Non-Device Refurbished Medical Equipment US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
shimonv Classification of a cloud- base viewer for the output from a medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
A FDA guidance on non-sterile Medical Device Packaging Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
A Medical device Mode Of Action CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
P Best Global Option to become an OBL/PLM/Virtual medical device brand in 2020 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
rob73 UK Medical Device Regulations Forum - UK MDR Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
S Philippines CMDL (Certificate of Medical Device Listing) Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 0
J 21 CFR 821 Medical Device Tracking Requirement 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Iraq Medical Device registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R Medical Device Software Certification IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
D Class IIB Medical Device Accessories - OTS Tablets Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
F Change to Formulation due to Reach (China Medical Device Regulations) China Medical Device Regulations 0
R Accelerated Aging - Creating test samples - Implantable medical device Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
T Clinical evaluation of a new medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
7 Iraq Medical Device Chemical Regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
J UCLA extension Medical Device Engineering Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
Q Storing and developing SAMD (Software as a Medical Device) in the Cloud IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
I ISO 2233:2000 Question - Medical Device Shipping/Transportation Validation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
R Identify Medical Device characterstics as Annex C of ISO 14971 Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
O ANATEL certification of Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Ajit Basrur FDA News Harmonizing and Modernizing Regulation of Medical Device Quality Systems (7-2020) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
A Legal Manufacturer Medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S Looking for Quality Content to Build Medical Device Curriculum - Concept to Commercialization Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
A Interpretation of GMP Requirements for class 1 medical device manufacturer (device GMP exempt, only General controls applicable) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
A Legal Manufacturer of a medical device Vs Legal Manufacturer of MDSW EU Medical Device Regulations 7
T Loaded spring device - Active medical device? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
MDD_QNA Medical Device Software - Is a Help Button required? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Does Pakistan Medical Device Import License allows parallel import? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
K China Medical Device Labeling requirements - Language China Medical Device Regulations 3
F Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) Technical File Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Sample Agreement available for Outsourcing Medical Device Design activity? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
dgrainger Informational EU medical device website change from 'Growth' to 'Health and Food Safety' (6/2020) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B How to classify a medical device based on MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Need for a cleanroom in the manufacture of a medical device for a clinical trial EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A Software as Medical Device (SaMD) definition and its applicability Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
F Labelling requirements for a medical device containing fragrance allergens EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Medical device Reporting : Good Faith Effort for Additional information Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
A Medical Device Vigilance decision tree for Japan for class 2 devices. Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
I How to classify a medical device based on FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S The US FDA requirements on Disposal of a medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Edward Reesor EU Authorized Representative for a Class I Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
E IEC 60601-1 - Unearthed Medical Device Metal Parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
U Medical Device Design finalization testing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S FDA Requirements for Medical Device Label Reconciliation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J Medical Device Registration in the UAE MoH Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
JoCam Medical Device Distribution in the UK EU Medical Device Regulations 6
B FDA-Medical Device Reporting (MDR )procedure compliant with 21CFR section 803 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
R An indication that the device is a medical device (MDR, Annex 23.2q) - applicable for accessories? EU Medical Device Regulations 5