Medical Device Label - Language

Hi,

We have some doubts about interpretation and good understanding regarding the information to appear on the label of medical devices.

Under the directive, the competent authority required us to include, in addition to the product's commercial name, the general name of the product (eg Minnie wheelchair - commercial name + general name of the device).

Currently, the MDR states, in Annex I 23.2, that the label must include the name or trade name. Analyzing this point, we understand that we can start using only the commercial name (which does not need to be translated into different languages). In the example, we would just use Minnie.

However, point 23.2 b) states that it must contain information that is strictly necessary for users to identify the device. Could this point indicate the need to include the name of the product (in the example, wheelchair)?

I would like to get your opinion and/or how to proceed.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Hi,

We have some doubts about interpretation and good understanding regarding the information to appear on the label of medical devices.

Under the directive, the competent authority required us to include, in addition to the product's commercial name, the general name of the product (eg Minnie wheelchair - commercial name + general name of the device).

Currently, the MDR states, in Annex I 23.2, that the label must include the name or trade name. Analyzing this point, we understand that we can start using only the commercial name (which does not need to be translated into different languages). In the example, we would just use Minnie.

However, point 23.2 b) states that it must contain information that is strictly necessary for users to identify the device. Could this point indicate the need to include the name of the product (in the example, wheelchair)?

I would like to get your opinion and/or how to proceed.

Thanks
Strictly speaking, "information that is strictly necessary for users to identify the device" is addressed via UDI specification (it's actually a much more complete and robust identification than a generic identifier such as "wheelchair"). However, I could come up with multiple MDR clauses that require (or make it recommendable) including the word "wheelchair" at least once in a wheelchair's labeling.

Last edited:
Strictly speaking, "information that is strictly necessary for users to identify the device" is addressed via UDI specification (it's actually a much more complete and robust identification than a generic identifier such as "wheelchair"). However, I could come up with multiple MDR clauses that require (or make it recommendable) including the word "wheelchair" at least once in a wheelchair's labeling.
So, I need to translate the word for all languages? As we are increasingly present in different countries, I need a lot of space to put all this information (sometimes in products whose available space is limited)...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Medical Device Shipping Container Label Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C Medical device label storage conditions EU Medical Device Regulations 11
H Medical Device Label Acceptance Criteria Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
S FDA Requirements for Medical Device Label Reconciliation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S How to decide which medical device symbols go on label and labeling? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
M Labeling for off-label use - Prevention of off-label use of a medical device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
C FDA Medical Device Label Requirements - serial numbers Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
S Medical Device Research Use Only (RUO) label Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
J Label on Miniature Active Class I Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
shimonv Off-Label Use of a Medical Device in Japan Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
Pmarszal Label Printing: Medical Device related UDI Requirements - GUDID Aspects Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
I Label Expiration Date - Single Use Combination Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
MDD_QNA Changing the Layout of Medical Device Label(s) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
F CE and FDA Mark on same IVD/Medical Device Label EU Medical Device Regulations 12
E ISO 15223-1 (Medical Device Label Symbols) - Revisions, EU commission? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
R Medical Device Packaging Label Validation Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
shimonv Changing the Label of a Medical Device product in the field Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
I Label of a Medical Device sold in EU - Non translated information EU Medical Device Regulations 7
E How do you monitor Medical Device Off-Label use by Customers & Medical Professionals EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Medical Device Label Information Requirements in the EU EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M How to best prioritize Medical Device Label Contents Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 16
C CE Mark Label Symbol Requirements on a Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
D Class II Disposable Medical Device Label Content Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D Off-Label Medical Device Use US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
E Brazil Medical Device Label Issues Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
P Medical Device Label Location Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
W Question re: Class II Medical Device Software - Label / Device Definition Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
R Medical Device Label Revision Level Requirements Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 24
H Medical Device RUO (Research Use Only) and 'Sterile' Label Claims 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
R Medical Device Registration in Brazil for Private Label Manufacture Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
J Class IIa Medical Device - Can I over label to change an address? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Off Label Usage (Class II Medical Device - Blood Bank Software) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
J How do I qualify a Label Design for Medical Device Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
N What needs to be on the label? Medical Device Labelling Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 12
A US FDA Medical Device Label Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
thisby_ Medical Device with Barcode - How to label it? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
B Address on Label - Medical Device Labeling Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
P Control of Serial Number Label in Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
L Rx Only vs. Professional Use Only - Class II Private Label Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
L Label placed on medical device by subcontractor based outside USA ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
somashekar Mark on Medical device label marketed in Canada ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
N Reference to FDA on Label or Labelling - Class II Medical Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
C Labeling of Medical Devices - Distributor replacing device serial number label 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
B Telemedicine as a Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Definition of disease as per medical device defintion EU Medical Device Regulations 14
Q Class I Medical Device with measuring function (UK MDR 2002 / MDD) UK Medical Device Regulations 3
G No new regulations in Austria medical device register after 26th Mai, 2022 EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A What activities are included in the action of marketing you medical device in U.S.? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M CE marked medical device - do they need UKAS certified calibration provider ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
C Is there a list of products or classifications subject to medical device regulations in El Salvador? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0