SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Medical Device Licensing - Plans or Process Maps

A

Aaria

I am new to the local/state regulations (US) for medical device licensing. Reading other threads helped, but couldn't get a comprehensive snapshot of requirements. The product I am working with is a wearable drug delivery system which does not have any drug products built in and is indicated to use an already approved drug with a separate prescription. We are trying to come up with a plan for commercializing in US and licensing requirements is one of them.

Has anyone compiled a medical device licensing plan or have process maps/procedures that could be shared? I am also interested in learning more about everyone's learning experience in this process (Do's and Don'ts).

Thanks for your time.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I am new to the local/state regulations (US) for medical device licensing. Reading other threads helped, but couldn't get a comprehensive snapshot of requirements. The product I am working with is a wearable drug delivery system which does not have any drug products built in and is indicated to use an already approved drug with a separate prescription. We are trying to come up with a plan for commercializing in US and licensing requirements is one of them.

Has anyone compiled a medical device licensing plan or have process maps/procedures that could be shared? I am also interested in learning more about everyone's learning experience in this process (Do's and Don'ts).

Thanks for your time.
Hi,

Just to clarify, when you refer to "licensing", do you mean that your commercialization will consist of selling licenses to other companies to use your design (is it already cleared with the FDA?) to actually make the device and distribute it under their name? Will your company be one of the actual manufacturers, too?

My impression is that US state medical devices regulations vary, so your plan should address the target states individually.

Cheers,
Ronen.

A

Aaria

Thanks for your response Ronen. We actually will be sole manufacturer and potential selling through distributor-pharmacy chain model. Since in most cases pharmacy will be dispensing our device per physician prescription, we may be subject to US state registration/licensing requirements.

Should we be always visiting state board of pharmacy for registration/licensing requirements? Any resources you could point to?

Thanks,
Pooja

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Thanks for your response Ronen. We actually will be sole manufacturer and potential selling through distributor-pharmacy chain model. Since in most cases pharmacy will be dispensing our device per physician prescription, we may be subject to US state registration/licensing requirements.

Should we be always visiting state board of pharmacy for registration/licensing requirements? Any resources you could point to?

Thanks,
Pooja
Thanks for clarifying and sorry for me being thick... :bonk: My mind was stuck on commercial licensing so I didn't realize you were talking about pharmacy dispensing related state licensing...

Using the Google search box (within Elsmar) at the top left hand corner, with search terms such as "state", "licensing", "prescription" etc., seems to yield quite a few relevant threads. As I noted above, state regulations vary, so perhaps also use the state name - it might have been explicitly brought up.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Medical Device Licensing - We are planning to sell another product Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
H Existing cloud based medical device - questions regarding improving the processes IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 0
K Unused Service Parts in Newly Manufactured Medical Device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
B A.I diagnostic software is considered as medical device in FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
J Medical device repairs (to upholstery) Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Ed Panek Apple Provides New Medical Device Cautions 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
C Does a medical device active (zinc oxide) needs BPR registration in EU? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
DanBOS Cloud Connected Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
dgrainger Informational DRAFT: The Medical Devices (Coronavirus Test Device Approvals) (Amendment) Regulations 2021 UK Medical Device Regulations 0
S Obsolescence of the Medical Device in Various Countries Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A IT-NETWORK in PEMS Sub-Clause 14.13 for Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
G Medical Device - Borderline/Definition EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Medical device equipment calibration Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
P European Medical Device Nomenclature (EMDN) and CND EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Reseller Request to Change UPC on Medical Device via Re-labeling Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
D Hand Held medical device - power supply requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
E Medical device applicability to WEEE Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
Fjalar Spare parts for discontinued MDD compliant class I medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
H Medical Device Label Acceptance Criteria Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J Calling a medical device a medical device (when it might not be one..) UK Medical Device Regulations 29
B Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) Book - Fundamentals of Medical Device Regulations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
N Medical device name in different countries EU Medical Device Regulations 4
V Medical Device Literature Translation Software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Z Over The Air (OTA) updates for medical device Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
H Tukery Medical Device Regulstion Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M Medical device certificate in Australia - ARTG certificate Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Q Software as a medical device vs software not sold as medical device: local regulations for sale? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
H Medical device Product Registration Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
A Can a power Supply be an accessory to a medical device, if it is an 'off-the-shelf' product. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
A Medical device labelling Date of manufacture US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
W Non Sterile Medical Device Environmental Tests Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
A Clinical assessment sample size - Medical device Class IIb implantable (93/42 directive) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K 25-year lifetime of medical device - document storage period EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K Relabeling an existing medical device in the field? Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
J Should a Class 1 medical device with an option to measure body weight be considered Class 1m? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Reliable sources for following EU medical device regulatory EU Medical Device Regulations 0
T IVDR Medical device software CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
N ISO 13485 7.3.9 Change control in medical device software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Requirements as a Distributor for Incoming Inspection of Purchased Finished Medical Device Medical Device Related Regulations 0
S Microwave medical waste disinfectant - A medical device or not? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
S Registration of Medical Device in Hong Kong - labeling requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
V Software as medical device (SaMD) replicated for multiple clients through APIs IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
M Is the output of a device a Medical Device? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
P Do we need to retrospectively use the "MD" symbol (indicating device is a medical device) on labels, e.g. finished devices within expiration date? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L Medical device registration in Iran Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
H EU CE marking for Medical Device Class I EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturer - Does the CM need to register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
JoCam Certified QMS for MDR - Class I medical device manufacturers EU Medical Device Regulations 8
R Compatibility studies - Medicinal Product and Medical Device Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
K CE Marking Class 1 (Non sterile) medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3