Medical Device OEM, OBL and Private Labeling Questions

P

pccaro

Hello All,

After following this site, I hope there is some one that have an answer for me. My questions is in regard to OEM, OLB and Private labeling.

I'm new in the regulatory area and I have a project to identify the best path to take to have foreign equipment labeled with our company name and logo, knowing that the equipment contain a CE mark.

Scenario 1.
My Company (B) buys equipment from company A (foreign company). Company A label their equipment with name and logo of Company B. Is this consider OBL or private label?

Scenario 2.
Company B buys equipment from Company A. Company B places label and logo to the equipment in USA. Company B re-sells these equipment in USA and Europe. I know we can use the same NB number if we work with the same Notify Body of Company A; however, what is the process/regulations for this? Who contacts the NB; Company A or B? what if, Company B decided to use a different NB? Does Company B is consider an OEM or OBL?

Scenario 3:

Company B buys equipment from Company A, but just re-sell them in USA and Europe? What are the requirements/regulations as Distributors?

Additional Questions:
What is the responsibility of an OBL in regards to the Technical File?
Does an OBL still require to have a Quality System in place?

I hope some one can help me with this. I apologize for too many questions, but I'm so confuse with OEM, OBL and private labeling. Thank you in advance for your support.

Regards,
Priscilla

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Scenario 1 - Company A is the manufacturer

Scenario 2 - Company B is the manufacturer and can change NB if they wish

Scenario 3 - I don't have the answer.

Additional questions - An OBL has the same responsibilities as a manufacturer and a technical file is a requirement.

M

MIREGMGR

In Scenario 2, note that Company A's relationship with their NB, and their placement of their CE Mark on the product version that they sell, are irrelevant to you. When you label your version of the product, the CE Mark you apply is yours, not theirs. Assuming that the products is Class I-s or above (because you mentioned that their CE Mark includes an NB identifying number), you must have your own CE certificate from your NB.

In Scenario 3, there are no requirements for you as a distributor, at least in regard to medical device regulations.

Does an OBL still require to have a Quality System in place?
Yes, encompassing all operations you perform.

M

MIREGMGR

In Scenario 3, there are no requirements for you as a distributor, at least in regard to medical device regulations.
The document that Joanne provides is comprehensive.

I inferred from the original post though that the poster's company is located in USA. If so, and if they do business in Europe in typical ways, they may not be the Distributor for regulatory purposes in Europe. Instead they would be a US-based wholesaler, with one or more (usually) EU-located third parties being Distributors, and also Importers, for which the other discussion in Joanne's provided document would be relevant.

Within USA, distributors are not subject to most of the significant FDA requirements, i.e. no Registration, no Listing, no Pre Market approvals/notifications, no post market surveillance other than as an adjunct to the manufacturer.

Miregmr, It wasn't my intention to infer there was any omission in your response and I don't believe you perceived it as such. It was just a case of adding additional info to my initial response. :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Certification procedure for OEM/PLM collaboration in the medical device industry in the US - Who bears the regulatory responsability? Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
S Beginner trying to OEM a medical device - Branded Electric Acupuncture Pen EU Medical Device Regulations 3
3 Brasil: OEM Medical Device Business - Product Design Customization Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
S OEM Supplier with ISO 9001 Labels Medical Device Accessory ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
rob73 Transfer of Technical File, CE Mark etc., for an OEM Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B Class I Medical Device Importing for OEM Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R OEM and Labeling Issues - Class II Medical Device Software Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
P Medical Device OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) Agreements Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
M Documentation of OEM Device - Technical File for a Class IIa Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Becoming a medical device OEM - Already have ISO 13485 & ISO 9001 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
L Question: outsource medical device electric safety test to OEM supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Inspection Parts as saleable goods - IS0 13485 OEM medical device manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Philippines_CMDL - Certificate of Medical Device Listing Elsmar Cove Forum ToS and Forum Policies 0
J 21 CFR 821 Medical Device Tracking Requirement 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Iraq Medical Device registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R Medical Device Software Certification IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
D Medical Device Accessories Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
F Change to Formulation due to Reach (China Medical Device Regulations) China Medical Device Regulations 0
R Accelerated Aging - Creating test samples - Implantable medical device Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
T Clinical evaluation of a new medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
7 Iraq Medical Device Chemical Regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
J UCLA extension Medical Device Engineering Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
Q Storing and developing SAMD (Software as a Medical Device) in the Cloud IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
I ISO 2233:2000 Question - Medical Device Shipping/Transportation Validation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
R Identify Medical Device characterstics as Annex C of ISO 14971 Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
O ANATEL certification of Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Ajit Basrur FDA News Harmonizing and Modernizing Regulation of Medical Device Quality Systems (7-2020) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
A Legal Manufacturer Medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S Looking for Quality Content to Build Medical Device Curriculum - Concept to Commercialization Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
A Interpretation of GMP Requirements for class 1 medical device manufacturer (device GMP exempt, only General controls applicable) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
A Legal Manufacturer of a medical device Vs Legal Manufacturer of MDSW EU Medical Device Regulations 7
T Loaded spring device - Active medical device? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
MDD_QNA Medical Device Software - Is a Help Button required? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Does Pakistan Medical Device Import License allows parallel import? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
K China Medical Device Labeling requirements - Language China Medical Device Regulations 3
F Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) Technical File Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Sample Agreement available for Outsourcing Medical Device Design activity? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
dgrainger Informational EU medical device website change from 'Growth' to 'Health and Food Safety' (6/2020) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B How to classify a medical device based on MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Need for a cleanroom in the manufacture of a medical device for a clinical trial EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A Software as Medical Device (SaMD) definition and its applicability Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
F Labelling requirements for a medical device containing fragrance allergens EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Medical device Reporting : Good Faith Effort for Additional information Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
A Medical Device Vigilance decision tree for Japan for class 2 devices. Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
I How to classify a medical device based on FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S The US FDA requirements on Disposal of a medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Edward Reesor EU Authorized Representative for a Class I Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
E IEC 60601-1 - Unearthed Medical Device Metal Parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
U Medical Device Design finalization testing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2