Medical Device Product Requirements Document (PRD) a "Design Review"?

RSantos

Registered Visitor
Is the review of a medical device Product Requirements Document (PRD) a "Design Review"?

Background: We developed a PRD for a client. Before the PRD was finalized, the engineers that prepared the document, an independent reviewer, and the client met to review the draft PRD. Minutes from the meeting were issued, and after incorporation of the action items from the meeting, the PRD was signed. I call this meeting a "Design Review". Am I correct?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Re: Review of the PRD - Design Review?

Is the review of a medical device Product Requirements Document (PRD) a "Design Review"?

Background: We developed a PRD for a client. Before the PRD was finalized, the engineers that prepared the document, an independent reviewer, and the client met to review the draft PRD. Minutes from the meeting were issued, and after incorporation of the action items from the meeting, the PRD was signed. I call this meeting a "Design Review". Am I correct?
As you describe, I would not call this activity a design review. What you describe is a review of the design input data. Paragraph 7.3.2 of ISO 9001:2000. Design review(s) happens later in the design development cycle.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Since you state that it's for a medical device, I presume the QSR would apply. As such, it would be a design input and a review is required. I've commonly seen requirements review records 'lumped' under the Design Review heading in the DHF. So whether you want to call it a Design Review or something else, the evidence that the review occurred is required under the QSR (i.e., treat the minutes as a quality record).

Roland Cooke

Quite Involved in Discussions
You agreed the Design Inputs with the customer. You have a (quality) record of that discussion.

It is possible - perhaps even probable - that Design Inputs will be amended or added/removed.

When you discuss the outcome of your development efforts (i.e. Design Outputs), compared to what was agreed you would try to do, that is Design Review.

This Review can perhaps occur at multiple stages throughout the development cycle. It's much better to think of Design Review as a process rather than a meeting.

F

fireonce

I couldn't agree with you more!
If you keep the records,you can comply with the requirements of "design review"

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Notified Body audits -Class Ia medical device product EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J Verification of purchased product / Alexa as a medical device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
E Can we still use MEDDEV 2.4/1 rev. 9 when classifying a medical device product under MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Medical Device Product Classification in South Korea Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
T Clinical trial - Medical device product not cleared (without FDA approval) in a drug trial Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
S CE mark on a medical device - Textile product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
B 510(k) clearance claim on medical device product packaging Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
M How to Select FDA Medical Device Product Code? Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
K Calibration of Dose Area Product (DAP) Meter in our Class IIb X-Ray Medical Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
B Medical device manufacturer - Product certification (Small businesses) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Medical Device Packaging Manufacturing - How should product be stored on the pallet 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
3 Brasil: OEM Medical Device Business - Product Design Customization Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
H Is Product Liability Insurance Compulsory for Medical Device Manufacturers? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
Q 510k Submission for a New Medical Device Product Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
shimonv Changing the Label of a Medical Device product in the field Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
insect warfare Cannot determine what type of medical device this product is.... 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
R Re-validating revised Medical Device and Aerospace Product COTS software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Russian Medical Device Regulations for Multiple Brands of the same Product Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
L Medical Device New Product Design & Development- How long does this process take you? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
JanWarner Tooth Whitening Product - Class I Medical Device in US - What is it in EU? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
A Medical Device Licensing - We are planning to sell another product Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
S Medical Device Product Recall per EU Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A DHF (Design History File) for a Legacy Product (Class iii Medical Device) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
S Please explain Medical Device Product Classification Rationale 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
C Medical Device Marketing vs. Placing Product on the Market EU Medical Device Regulations 8
A Beta Testing FDA Regulated Medical Device Software vs. Nonconforming product? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Product Liability for Dental Gel - Class I Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T Morocco Medical Device Product Registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 15
S Contract Manufacturer - Product Identification for Combination medical device Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 8
Ajit Basrur Guidance Document - Medical Device Classification Product Codes Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
A How to determine if product is a Medical Device in Australia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
G How do I change the Medical Device Product Code in FDA site? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
R Product Realization in a Medical Device Component Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
E IVD Medical Device Product Registration in Myanmar Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
E IVD Medical Device Product Registration in Indonesia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
L When does Medical Device New Product R&D stop and Design start? Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
R Pharma vs. Medical Device Regulations on the same Product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
N Japan Combination Medical Device Product Regulations and Requirements Japan Medical Device Regulations 2
C Medical Device Product Registration, Product Family, Device Name Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
I What are examples of a Combination Product (Medical device and Pharmaceutical) ? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
J Labeling Software for Medical Device Product and Packaging Labels for Production Use Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
W The predicated device with a different DXN (Medical Device Product Code) Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
V Product Evaluation Checklist for Class-II Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A SOP for performing Annual Product Reviews for Medical Device and Pharma Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
W How long is a Medical Device product registration in Iran valid for? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
L Medical Device FDA Product Classification help needed 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
W Classification of a new product - Is it a Medical Device Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
T Shipping Additional Product ("Bundle") with a Class 2 Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M Can Polyherbal Wound Healing Product be registered as a Medical Device? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
T New Product Validation Plan example or template for a Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4