Medical device registration in African/Asian countries

I have to find regulatory requirements of a number of African and Asian countries; but no online information is available and their MoH did not respond any of my mails. Do these countries have official regulations (like MDD) for medical devices?

Countries such as:

Benine
Burkina Faso
Cape Verde
Chad
Central African Rep.
Comoros
Guinea Bissau
Madagascar
Mali
Mauritania
Réunion
Saint Helena
Sao Tome and Principie
Senegal
Seychelles
Somalia
Togo
Western Sahara

Do you have any experiences for countries like this?
Please help me :eek:

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

GStough

Staff member
Super Moderator
ARQon|Singapore|Medical Device Consulting|Regulatory|Medtech

Here is something I found in a quick search for "medical device regulations Africa Asia". I'm not familiar with the regulations/requirements for Asia and Africa. Perhaps you can scroll through this link and find more information that is relevant to your needs.

Hope this helps. :bigwave:

I have to find regulatory requirements of a number of African and Asian countries; but no online information is available and their MoH did not respond any of my mails. Do these countries have official regulations (like MDD) for medical devices?

Countries such as:

Benine
Burkina Faso
Cape Verde
Chad
Central African Rep.
Comoros
Guinea Bissau
Madagascar
Mali
Mauritania
Réunion
Saint Helena
Sao Tome and Principie
Senegal
Seychelles
Somalia
Togo
Western Sahara

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member

Countries such as:

Benine
Burkina Faso
Cape Verde
Chad
Central African Rep.
Comoros
Guinea Bissau
Madagascar
Mali
Mauritania
Réunion
Saint Helena
Sao Tome and Principie
Senegal
Seychelles
Somalia
Togo
Western Sahara

Hello lyannastark and welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

None of the countries on this list are in Asia. They are all in or off the coasts of Africa. Some Asian countries have elaborate medical devices regulatory systems, including a lot of good info available online, but I don't know if that's actually relevant to you.

With regards to the countries you listed, I know nothing about their regulatory requirements, and honestly, I think most of them don't have any such system in place (for example all those little island nations or hunger/war struck countries). I presume that you ask because you intend to sell devices in those countries - right? So you must have some local contacts (importers/distributors). I would try to utilise such contacts to find out what the local requirements might be, considering that there might also be a language barrier for you (not to mention cultural barriers).

Good luck!
Ronen.

Mallappa

Involved In Discussions
Hello everyone :bigwave:

Need your help to understand medical device regulation in African countries?

1. Is there any collaboration between national medicines regulatory authorities available in African countries apart from ZAZIBONA?

2. If you can indicate if a regulatory affairs environment is establish and enforced that is not related to the one in South Africa (SAHPRA, formerly MCC) for the applicable countries: Angola, Botswana, Democratic republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe?

3. What are all the African countries that follow South African medial device regulations (SAHPRA)?

Thanks in advance,
Mallappa

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
I can't help right now but I'm doing work for a client to identify regulatory requirements of some African countries. When I get something I may put the info here.

Unknown: Angola, Democratic republic of Congo, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia

Have Regulator: Botswana, Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe

The processes are highly variable from what I've experienced with Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania and Zimbabwe being the most stringent among the names you mentioned.

@Marcelo - happy to share information with you on this if it would be of any help.

Mallappa

Involved In Discussions
Hi Supadrai,

Thanks a lot for the valuable information.

as per the search, Botswana do not have medical device regulations when compared to Ethiopia; Kenya; Tanzania; Uganda; Zambia; and Zimbabwe: only condoms & gloves are regulated.

Thanks again!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Iraq Medical Device registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
J Medical Device Registration in the UAE MoH Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
M Mexico Medical Device Registration Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
JoCam False information provided for Medical Device Registration - What are the implications? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
N Post registration variation to medical device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
MDD_QNA Medical Device registration Argentina Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R Medical device registration in Iran Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
G Device Registration Ammendments - Modifications to Medical Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
J Medical Device Registration in Argentina - Client asks us to provide “European FSC” Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
A Philippines Medical Device Registration Transfer Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
A Docs for Medical Device registration in China - List of certificates China Medical Device Regulations 6
S Uzbekistan - Medical Device Registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
S FEE Registration LINK - EU Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
P Adding an additional distributor to a current Mexico Medical Device Registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
S Medical Device Registration & Technical Format/Template - European Union CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
F IVD/Medical Device Registration (with MHRA DORS account in the UK) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Russia- Medical device with drug registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
3 Egypt Medical Device Registration: Only required for Sterile Medical Devices? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 10
S Australian Registration of Non-CE Marked Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
Q Medical Device Establishment Registration/Listing for Foreign Private Labeler Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
P UDI Registration - Class II Medical Device Software Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
B Strategy for Registration a Medical Device in China China Medical Device Regulations 2
3 Medical Device Registration Phillippines Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
Q RFID (radio frequency identification) registration for Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
G Design Philosophy - Iran Medical Device Registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
Q South Africa Class I Medical Device Accessory Registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
G Medical Device Registration in Pakistan Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
Fatima444-4 Local Medical Device distributor registration UAE Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
K Medical device registration in Brunei Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
N Malaysian Medical Device Registration Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 8
I FDA Medical Device Registration - Scenario - Two Companies 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
R Medical Device Registration and Listing Help 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Ajit Basrur New Medical Device and IVD Registration Rules - Pakistan Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
B Taiwan Medical Device registration - Production or legal office Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
X Where to find UAE medical device registration regulation and guidelines Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
F 2015 Sudan Medical Device Registration and Labeling Language Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
R Re-registration of medical device in Russia - "changing holder" Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
J Medical Device Registration in Venezuela Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
JoCam Choose Medical Device Distributors prior to Device Registration? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
E Medical Device Registration requirements for Bahrain Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
B Israel Medical Device registration Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
S Medical Device Registration in Republic of Moldova Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R Medical Device and Accessory Establishment Registration and Listing Query Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
Q Mexico Medical Device Registration - Private Hospital Exemption Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
pittmatj Mexico - COFEPRIS Medical Device Registration Information Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
D Australian Registration of a CE Marked Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
F Medical Device Registration in Slovenia EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Austria Medical Device EU Distributor Registration EU Medical Device Regulations 2
X Indian Medical Device Registration Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
M Information about the registration of a Medical Device in Thailand Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2