Medical Device Technical File Confidentiality - On site reviews

Hi!
My company manufactures MD since 1987, and for us it is mandatory to have all our Technical Files reviewed "on site".
This happens because of our confidentiality policy
As you all may understand, this is a matter very seriously for any manufacturer.

Now, my NB is asking us to send them the technical files because ""is mandatory for them to allow MHRA review their work".

On what basis? Is there any regulator document which specifically mentions that requirement?

On MHRA Guidance on legislation - Requirements for UK NB's, I found no information about that obligation.

Neither on,
NB-MED 2.5.1/Rec5, point 5 - Availability of the technical documentation. It only says "The technical documentation should be kept at the disposal of the Competent Authorities for inspection and control purposes. This obligation is incumbent upon the “manufacturer” within the meaning of the medical devices Directives who places the product on the market under his own name."

Or even,
new regulation (EU) 2017/745
"all parties involved in the application of this regulation shall respect the confidentiality of information and data obtained in carrying out their tasks in order to protect the following:
… (b) commercially confidential information and trade secrets of a natural or legal person, including intellectual property rights…"

Which argument could be used to dispute this "mandatory" requirement from NB?

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Howdy,

I am not in MD in any regard...but I've noticed that there are similar threads here on the cove asking the same question. You may want to look at some of those.

Try here for example...there are others...HTH

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Again, I'm not in MD...
But the thread I pointed to gives various thoughts and approaches to how to handle Confidential Information when an AB requests that you allow it off site.
Perhaps others in the MD community will chime in for things specific to that arena.
It is a holiday weekend here in the USA...so you may have to wait until Monday...

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Now, my NB is asking us to send them the technical files because ""is mandatory for them to allow MHRA review their work".
As always, if an oversight body, the NB in this case, tells an organization that there is a requirement being imposed onto them and they have to flow down on to their customers, they should be able to pinpoint the requirement, in a transparent way.

On the issue of the technical documentation review, depending on the complexity of the device and the risks involved, multiple disciplines and, potentially, multiple reviewers could be involved in the documentation assessment and that means a costly on-site review process. But, if the manufacturer is willing to bear the costs of having the review done on-site in order to minimize the risks of confidential information leaking, I don't see why the NB's could not accommodate the request.

NB's in the Medical Device field are all scrambling for resources to perform their duties in a timely manner and sending reviewer(s) on-site to a customer ties up these resources even more, as there is mobilization-demobilization time and inherent drop of flexible use of resources by NB. So, they might be trying to create an excuse for them to force the issue and have the documentation sent to them. Chances are, they can also try to make the on-site review cost prohibitive to the manufacturer, as a way to "convince" the manufacturer to relinquish the documentation.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply Sidney

Our TF was reviewed onsite 2 weeks ago.
Now, the NB is asking us to send copy of the Techical File by email. They said "is mandatory for them to allow MHRA review their work"

On what basis it is "mandatory"?

rob73

looking for answers
The MHRA will from time to time require the review of technical files. Be it through your certification/notified body or directly fro the MHRA. We have had two requests from the MHRA for review of technical file. Basically it is their right to ensure that you and your notifed body are doing your jobs properly. As for confidentiality, the MHRA deal with a multitude of confidential information from medical records (during investigations) to technical files. take a look at Medical devices: the regulations and how we enforce them All information is dealt with in the strictest confidence according to the confidentiality provisions in Article 20 of the Medical Devices Directive (93/42/EEC)
HTH

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Medical Device - Technical Documentation structure EU Medical Device Regulations 1
LostLouie Archived Specifications and Drawings for Medical Device Technical Files EU Medical Device Regulations 4
F Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) Technical File Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
J One Medical Device, two indications, two classes, one technical file? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A Technical file requirement for Class IIb medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Medical Device Registration & Technical Format/Template - European Union CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
J Software for maintaining of Technical files and medical device documentation(RA need) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
E When to submit a Technical File for a Class IIb Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C Signing of Drawings and Technical Specification in Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Q Technical File for Medical Device Accessories CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
L Labeling Requirements in Part A Class IIb Medical Device Technical File CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
T Class IIa Medical Device Technical File - Annexes EU Medical Device Regulations 6
O Medical Device Registration in EU - Which Ministry to submit Technical File? EU Medical Device Regulations 9
M Medical Device Technical File SOP example available? EU Medical Device Regulations 14
S What constitutes a Medical Device Technical File "Family?" EU Medical Device Regulations 6
rob73 Transfer of Technical File, CE Mark etc., for an OEM Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L Class 1 Medical Device Contract Manufacturer Technical File Requirements Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
S How big is your Medical Device Technical File? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Medical Device Technical File/Dossier (CE Mark) review - How many ?experts? available CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
C Class II Medical Device Technical File Checklist CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 20
I Technical Support - Medical Device Software Life Cicle IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
rob73 Technical File Information on Moulded Parts of a Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 5
I Technical Agreement Template for a Class II Medical Device in EU wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Medical Device Testing Based in Manchester? Consultant to open Technical File EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S How do I create a Technical File for a Class IIa Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Medical Device Technical Files (Class IIa & IIb) ? Design Development Documentation EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Documentation of OEM Device - Technical File for a Class IIa Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Medical Device Packaging - Trying to learn Technical files EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Standards used for Medical Device MDD Technical Files ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 25
S Requirements for Updating a Medical Device Technical File EU Medical Device Regulations 13
B Technical Reports - Class 2 medical device design and manufacturing Design and Development of Products and Processes 14
T FDA UDI Question - Class II Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
blackholequasar ISO 13485 certification prior to Medical Device Manufacturing... worth it? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
P Brexit Germany - Import Medical Device For Clinical Study EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device Marketing Material - Control of Social Media 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Ed Panek Make sure you hire competent QA RA Folks before making a "Medical Device." Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
B Acquired Medical Device Product Line - Documentation Requirements for Device Master Record ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
MedicalDevicesCanada How to find a medical device contract manufacturer, MDSAP certified? Canada Medical Device Regulations 4
dgrainger Informational MHRA's Software and AI as a Medical Device Change Programme UK Medical Device Regulations 0
B Reprocessing of an accessory for a medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A Class 1 medical device - Thailand Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
P Interchangeable/alternative parts in BOM (medical device) Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
U Is Initial Importer Status Required if a Medical Device is Manufactured and Sterilized by an OEM in the US Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
J Shoe Covers - medical device class I EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Software as a Medical Device - SaMD IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
C CE Marking - Medical Device Accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 0
H Existing cloud based medical device - questions regarding improving the processes IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
K Unused Service Parts in Newly Manufactured Medical Device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
B A.I diagnostic software is considered as medical device in FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
J Medical device repairs (to upholstery) Manufacturing and Related Processes 4