Medical Device Technical File/Dossier (CE Mark) review - How many ?experts? available

S

SteveK

Medical Device Technical File/Dossier (CE Mark) review - How many ‘experts’ available

There are circa 400 separate Medical Device harmonised Standards, plus various country specific standards.

Number of device variants – GMDN etc lists tens of thousands.

Number of device companies that supply CE marked devices – tens, hundreds of thousands?

Number of Technical Files/Dossiers - millions?

There are 19 members of Team-NB.

So how many ‘experts’ are there available in reality to review all the TFs out there; considering the above and the complexity of many devices (note: class III will include clinical trial data), i.e. to meet the current requirements of 93/42/EC (see clause 7, Annex II) on an ongoing basis?

One NB indicates a turn around of a TF review in 30 days. So if there are millions of TFs out there; even with this conservative estimate, that is an awful lot of man days!

I did not get a response on my previous post (Have you submitted a Technical File yet? Directive 2007/47/EC) on who had submitted TFs, what I was trying to get at is can NBs in practical terms cover the legal requirements of the Directive i.e. review (expertly) all the TFs in existence?

Or am I just being silly?

Steve

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Medical Device Technical File/Dossier (CE Mark) review - how many ‘experts’ avail

review (expertly) all the TFs in existence?
You mention expert, not "thoroughly", which I think is a key point

edit: the NB does not have to review ALL technical files in existance, just an appropriately justified sample from each subcategory (in the case of IIa) and generic device group (in the case of IIb). This will significantly reduce the number of reviews necessary.

S

SteveK

Re: Medical Device Technical File/Dossier (CE Mark) review - how many ‘experts’ avail

We are only a very small company and have 9 distinct categories/groups of devices (8 class IIa and one class IIb - defined by the fact that they conform to different standards). So what about multinationals etc? So I still think the numbers of TFs out there; that have to be reviewed as indicated in the Directive, is vast – so are there enough consultants, experts etc to ‘thoroughly’ review them?

Steve

pkost

Trusted Information Resource

If you look at the calculation from the other side....

A technical file review is allocated 1-2 mandays by our NB. This doesn't account for subsequent internal checks (i don't know how much time they take).

Therefore each "expert" can carry out between 126-252 reviews in a year (excludes weekends and UK bankholidays - some people have lives).

I don't and have never worked for an NB so don't know how they allocate and source their resources, but you pose an interesting question and I would be interested to see what someone who knows the inner workings of an NB thinks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Technical Documentation for a medical device accessory Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
S Assembling technical file for a medical device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Medical Device - Technical Documentation structure EU Medical Device Regulations 1
LostLouie Archived Specifications and Drawings for Medical Device Technical Files EU Medical Device Regulations 4
F Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) Technical File Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
O Medical Device Technical File Confidentiality - On site reviews EU Medical Device Regulations 14
J One Medical Device, two indications, two classes, one technical file? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A Technical file requirement for Class IIb medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Medical Device Registration & Technical Format/Template - European Union CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
J Software for maintaining of Technical files and medical device documentation(RA need) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
E When to submit a Technical File for a Class IIb Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
C Signing of Drawings and Technical Specification in Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Q Technical File for Medical Device Accessories CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
L Labeling Requirements in Part A Class IIb Medical Device Technical File CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
T Class IIa Medical Device Technical File - Annexes EU Medical Device Regulations 6
O Medical Device Registration in EU - Which Ministry to submit Technical File? EU Medical Device Regulations 9
M Medical Device Technical File SOP example available? EU Medical Device Regulations 14
S What constitutes a Medical Device Technical File "Family?" EU Medical Device Regulations 6
rob73 Transfer of Technical File, CE Mark etc., for an OEM Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L Class 1 Medical Device Contract Manufacturer Technical File Requirements Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
S How big is your Medical Device Technical File? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
C Class II Medical Device Technical File Checklist CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 20
I Technical Support - Medical Device Software Life Cicle IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
rob73 Technical File Information on Moulded Parts of a Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 5
I Technical Agreement Template for a Class II Medical Device in EU wanted EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Medical Device Testing Based in Manchester? Consultant to open Technical File EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S How do I create a Technical File for a Class IIa Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Medical Device Technical Files (Class IIa & IIb) ? Design Development Documentation EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Documentation of OEM Device - Technical File for a Class IIa Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Medical Device Packaging - Trying to learn Technical files EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Standards used for Medical Device MDD Technical Files ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 25
S Requirements for Updating a Medical Device Technical File EU Medical Device Regulations 13
B Technical Reports - Class 2 medical device design and manufacturing Design and Development of Products and Processes 14
J Average number of Nonconformances during internal quality audit for Medical Device Manufacturers Internal Auditing 3
D Exclusion 4.2.3 Medical Device File ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Lifetime of medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 15
M UDI IVD Medical Device Class III US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
E How to risk assess tooling? For a medical device and is it needed??? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
P Definition of "Standalone" medical device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
B Spare parts of medical device need CE mark? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
R EU MDR Article 22 applicability of medical device with components. EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Medical Device AE Reporting SOP Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Class Exempt Medical Device Recall Question US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
K Class I Medical Device Registration EU Medical Device Regulations 11
B Telemedicine as a Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Definition of disease as per medical device defintion EU Medical Device Regulations 14
Q Class I Medical Device with measuring function (UK MDR 2002 / MDD) UK Medical Device Regulations 3
G No new regulations in Austria medical device register after 26th Mai, 2022 EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A What activities are included in the action of marketing you medical device in U.S.? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M CE marked medical device - do they need UKAS certified calibration provider ISO 17025 related Discussions 4