Medical Device that is class II electrical and IEC 60601-1-11

JoCam

Trusted Information Resource
Hi All,

Standard IEC 60601-1-11 states that medical electrical equipment used in the home care environment, if it is not permanently installed, will need to be a class II electrical device. Does this mean that a class I electrical device can no longer be called medical electrical equipment if it is to be used in a home?

As 60601-1-11 is not mandatory, if a manufacturer of a class I electrical device chooses not to test their product to it, do they need to test it to something else to enable it to be used in the home?

In my opinion, if this standard states that the medical electrical equipment for use in the home cannot be class I electrical, surely the standard should be mandatory or this requirement appear in something that is?

Your help as ever will be much appreciated.

Jo

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

isolytical

Involved In Discussions
The change actually works out in favor of the manufacturer, not against them. The change to class II status allows use of the equipment with two-prong, double insulated AC inputs, rather than relying on earth ground for protection. The reason for the change is that many homes do not have reliable earth ground.
While a redesign is obviously needed. it should not be a major concern to a EE. And the requirement actually widens the market for the manufacturer, and it applies to non-permanently installed devices.

3dBUnderThe Limit

Starting to get Involved
I do think that the requirements in 60601-1-11 limits unnecessarily what the manufacturer can do to enable safe use in the home from electrical safety standpoint, but I’m not aware of any alternative standards to use to show compliance to MDD/MDR for an ME for home use. Home use does in my opinion need to fulfill both 60601-1-11 and the relevant test criteria’s in 60601-1-2.
Changing to Class II AC input is reasonably straight forward, but you will need an applied part that is floating to avoid fixed installation. Leaving out protective earth will also make the production and testing simpler both in manufacturing and the field.
ME equipment for home does in my opinion need to fulfill both -1-11 and the relevant test criterias in -1-2.

Changing to Class II AC input is reasonably stright forward, but you will need an applied part that is floating to avoid fixed installation. Leaving out protective earth will also make the production and testing simpler both in manufacturing and the field.

Pads38

Hi Jo,

As you say, the use of a standard (any standard) is always voluntary but I am not sure that a Notified Body would accept a home healthcare device without the use of -1-11. It, effectively, defines the home as a 'special environment'.

But, if you are looking to class your device as something other than a medical device you would need to make sure that you had no claims of a medical purpose.

Safety standards for 'general purpose' household products include the IEC 60335 series of which there are over 100 standards covering everything from kettles and irons to washing machines etc.

Another option would be IEC 62368 covering audio visual, IT and communications equipment, and also 60950 and 60065.

Each of these standards are harmonised under the Low Voltage Device Directive. There will also be EMC standards applicable, but I don't have the numbers to hand.

Incidentally, various IEC committees are looking at outstanding safety issues not covered by the introduction of 60601-1 edition 3 and 3.1 (and the various collaterals). They are looking to better define 'permanently installed' as some manufacturers have been installing by plugging in then screwing a strap across the plug to prevent dis-connection. The committees do not regard this as adequate.

They are also looking to see if industrial style plug and sockets, such as the EN60309 series might allow high-integrity earth connections to be assumed whilst offering some degree of transportability.

JoCam,

Which market is -1-11 not mandatory? Our product was required to be compliant in the USA, Canada and EU for several years now. Same for -1-12, at least in the US for another product used in ambulances.

B_S

dgrainger

Bryce_S,
In Europe, all standards are voluntary, manufacturers can use them to show compliance with essential requirements.
Harmonized standards infer compliance with those essential requirements indicated in the standard.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Interpretation of GMP Requirements for class 1 medical device manufacturer (device GMP exempt, only General controls applicable) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Medical Device Vigilance decision tree for Japan for class 2 devices. Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
Edward Reesor EU Authorized Representative for a Class I Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
W Direct to customer export of medical device (class I: prescription lenses + frame) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
C New Class III medical device application for Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 6
T First 510(k) submission - Class II software as medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
JoCam Failure to test Class I medical device to IEC 60601-1-11 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S How to register class IIA medical device accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 1
U Medical device trial budget - 2 hospitals for Class IIa medical device in Sweden Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
A Class medical device (MDD) - Classification help EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Notified Body audits -Class Ia medical device product EU Medical Device Regulations 4
N Can a (class I) medical device be manufactured in a GMP certified site with no ISO13485? EU Medical Device Regulations 18
U Do we need clinical trial data for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
R Countries that accept 510k approvals - Class II nonsterile medical device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
B Class III Medical Device Accelerated conditions Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
D FDA Approved Class II Medical Device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
N CE Mark for Class 1 medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
D Class II medical device - When should a complaint be closed? Customer Complaints 6
D Software as an accessory to a Class I medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C ETO Sterilised Class II Medical Device - Required Temperature Storage ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Does Class 1 Medical Device need to be certified to MDSAP? Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
N Can we take a part from 510k cleared medical device and use it in class I device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
J Class 1 Medical Device - Using a UPC over the UDI? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
N Selling a class II Medical Device in Canada in Pharmacies Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 10
S Acrylic in Class II b Active Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
L A Taiwan company want to sell Class I medical device (510(k) exempt) on Amazon, should we register with FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
S Conformity Assessment Route question for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Inventory Control - Class II (IIb for CE) medical device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Software Release Note - Class A stand alone software medical device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
J FDA Class 1 Medical Device UDI requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 19
L Class IIa Medical Device, CE Mark & 510k - Labeling Content CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M How is Class I Medical Device Compliance Enforced? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Kuldeep Singh Calibration of Dose Area Product (DAP) Meter in our Class IIb X-Ray Medical Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Z Class 2 medical device - Process Validation - Test sterile or non-sterile units? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
C Medical device manufacturing (class 2 ISO 13485:2016) - Is a Deviation allowed? Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
S Understanding UDI requirements - Class 2 medical device (hearing aids) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
N Per the FDA regulations can a medical device be class I despite that it is sterile? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
M Include IFU in Class II Medical Device Marketing Brochure? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
J Steps when changing material for class 1 medical device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Clinical evaluation for a class IIa medical device - EU MDR Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Class I medical device and Category III PPE - Long length gloves EU Medical Device Regulations 5
B Manufacturing site relocation of pre amendment Class II medical device Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S Class II Medical Device Conformity Assessment Route according to Annex V only CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
H Classification of a Class IIb Medical Device with 3 Components CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
J Class 1 Medical Device ECR (Engineering Change Request) Changes 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
W CE Mark for Class III Medical Device - MDR or MDD applies? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
C Pressure requirement of home based Class II Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
A Technical file requirement for Class IIb medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
S Who needs a 510(k) in this situation? Class II medical device for a US Orthodontist Other US Medical Device Regulations 4