Medical Device which is both Class I & CAT III PPE

N

nurhakim

Hi,

Is it possible that ONE product can be classified as a Class I (non-sterile, non-measuring) under 93/42/EEC and CAT III under 89/686/EEC at the same time? If a manufacturer already have a Class I product and self declare it, and later on wants to claim the same product as CAT III (PPE) without having a CE Mark certification, is it permissible?

Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
N

nurhakim

Re: Class I medical device & CAT III PPE

By the 2007/47/EC which came into full force as of March 21st 2010, face masks may have to comply from with the essential safety requirements of the MDD 93/42/EEC as Class I medical devices AND also with the essential safety requirements of the PPE 89/686/EEC.

The EU Commission “categorization guide” on PPE 89/686/EEC specified in its explanation of category 7.3. that “surgical masks” were excluded of the scope of the PPE 89/686/EEC but added as a footnote (3):
“Where such masks are intended to protect the wearer against microbial and viral infections, etc. they are in certification category III (personal protection rather than medical use).

The MDD 93/42/EEC as amended by the 2007/47/EC is stating now in its article 1,6.. “Where a device is intended by the manufacturer to be used in accordance with both the provisions on Personal Protective Equipment in Council Directive 89/686/EEC (1) and this directive, the relevant basic health and safety requirements of Directive 89/686/EEC shall also be fulfilled.”

For instance, surgical masks being used for patient protection (MDD Class I) and protection of the practitioner using them (PPE category III) and risking infection from the patient during intervention.

For surgical masks that have no particular claim like a protection of the wearer against infectious diseases such as HIV contaminated blood or viruses (coming from the patient, in that case the mask will become a PPE category III), the surgical mask will have only to comply with MDD 93/42/EEC as amended by the 2007/47/EC under the scope and definition of a medical device.

Thanks for your reply. Let say if a manufacturer produces a Class I product, but the customer wants to claim it as Class I plus CAT III and the customer having a CE MARK for CAT III (but the manufacturer do not have the CE MARK for CAT III), can the packaging/labeling bear the CE Mark number of the customer?

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Re: Class I medical device & CAT III PPE

Thanks for your reply. Let say if a manufacturer produces a Class I product, but the customer wants to claim it as Class I plus CAT III and the customer having a CE MARK for CAT III (but the manufacturer do not have the CE MARK for CAT III), can the packaging/labeling bear the CE Mark number of the customer?
Applying the CE mark to a product is a declaration that that product is compliant with all the EU directives that have CE marking provisions, that apply to it. There is no manufacturer discretion about it - a manufacturer can't choose whether or not to claim compliance with a specific CE marking directive. If it applies, based on the product itself and its labeling, compliance is mandatory and the CE mark is a statement that it was achieved.

The repsonsibility for this compliance (all applicable directives) rests with the legal manufacturer - the one whose name and address appear on the labelling. It makes no difference if it was in fact made by another manufacturer (private labeling).

Last edited:

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
I don't entirely agree with Ronen about whether the manufacturer has control over the directives they comply with - as a manufacturer they determine the claims they make and therefore have control over which directives they have to comply with:

- If you claim that the product protects the patient from the wearer, then this is a Medical Device and must comply with the MDD
- If you claim that the product protects the wearer from the patient, then this is a PPE product and must comply with the PPED
- If you make claims that the product protects both the patient and the wearer, then you must comply with both MDD and PPED

either the manufacturer or the customer can claim responsibility for compliance, however in doing so they must declare themselves as manufacturer and comply with ALL the appropriate directives.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I don't entirely agree with Ronen about whether the manufacturer has control over the directives they comply with - as a manufacturer they determine the claims they make and therefore have control over which directives they have to comply with:

- If you claim that the product protects the patient from the wearer, then this is a Medical Device and must comply with the MDD
- If you claim that the product protects the wearer from the patient, then this is a PPE product and must comply with the PPED
- If you make claims that the product protects both the patient and the wearer, then you must comply with both MDD and PPED

either the manufacturer or the customer can claim responsibility for compliance, however in doing so they must declare themselves as manufacturer and comply with ALL the appropriate directives.
I don't see where we don't agree. I specifically wrote:

If it applies, based on the product itself and its labeling, compliance is mandatory

B

Bobda

Unsure if its acceptable to bump old an old thread on a relevant topic, or create a new thread - apologies in advance if I got this wrong.

I have a relevant question on this topic, if I could kindly ask for advice.

Is there a differentiation between Isolation Gowns and Surgical Gowns relating to PPE Certification? Isolation implies the product isolates both parties - whereby Surgical implies protects the Surgeon - or am I mis-guided?

I understand from the above that if the product "claims" to perform a certain task (ie. protect the patient or protect the Surgeon, or both) then the relevant PPE and/or MDD Certification is required. However, in the case of a Surgical gown - what if no claim about who the product protects is stated. Does the Surgical gown require both PPE and MDD certification by proxy or is a Surgical Gown covered under the MDD certification?

Thank you kindly in advance.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Software requirement and design specifications - Medical device contains both hardware and software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
M Medical Device Distribution in Canada - Do we need both MDEL and MDL? Canada Medical Device Regulations 14
M Do I need to comply with both the MDD and the PED for my Medical Device? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S Single Medical Device Warranty card for both RUO and IVD!! ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Regulatory Aspect of Embedding 4G/5G communication technologies into medical device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M FDA Medical device reporting (Manufacturer in US; contract manufacturer OuS) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
G Medical Device Auditor (CMDA) certification exam by ASQ - looking for input Career and Occupation Discussions 3
B Documenting Medical Device Complaints after End of Life? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device License as Distributor Canada Medical Device Regulations 8
M Preparing a document for Raw Material of Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Medical device regulations in African countries Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Z Swiss Authorized representative & non-medical device regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
T FDA UDI Question - Class II Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
blackholequasar ISO 13485 certification prior to Medical Device Manufacturing... worth it? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
P Brexit Germany - Import Medical Device For Clinical Study EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device Marketing Material - Control of Social Media 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Ed Panek Make sure you hire competent QA RA Folks before making a "Medical Device." Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
B Acquired Medical Device Product Line - Documentation Requirements for Device Master Record ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
MedicalDevicesCanada How to find a medical device contract manufacturer, MDSAP certified? Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
dgrainger Informational MHRA's Software and AI as a Medical Device Change Programme UK Medical Device Regulations 0
S Medical Device - Technical Documentation structure EU Medical Device Regulations 1
LostLouie Archived Specifications and Drawings for Medical Device Technical Files EU Medical Device Regulations 4
B Reprocessing of an accessory for a medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A Class 1 medical device - Thailand Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
P Interchangeable/alternative parts in BOM (medical device) Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
U Is Initial Importer Status Required if a Medical Device is Manufactured and Sterilized by an OEM in the US Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
J Shoe Covers - medical device class I EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Software as a Medical Device - SaMD IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
C CE Marking - Medical Device Accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 0
H Existing cloud based medical device - questions regarding improving the processes IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
K Unused Service Parts in Newly Manufactured Medical Device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
B A.I. diagnostic software is considered as medical device in FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
J Medical device repairs (to upholstery) Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Ed Panek Apple Provides New Medical Device Cautions 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
C Does a medical device active (zinc oxide) needs BPR registration in EU? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
DanBOS Cloud Connected Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
dgrainger Informational DRAFT: The Medical Devices (Coronavirus Test Device Approvals) (Amendment) Regulations 2021 UK Medical Device Regulations 1
S Obsolescence of the Medical Device in Various Countries Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A IT-NETWORK in PEMS Sub-Clause 14.13 for Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
G Medical Device - Borderline/Definition EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Medical device equipment calibration Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
P European Medical Device Nomenclature (EMDN) and CND EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Reseller Request to Change UPC on Medical Device via Re-labeling Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
D Hand Held medical device - power supply requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
E Medical device applicability to WEEE Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
Fjalar Spare parts for discontinued MDD compliant class I medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
H Medical Device Label Acceptance Criteria Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
J Calling a medical device a medical device (when it might not be one..) UK Medical Device Regulations 29
B Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) Book - Fundamentals of Medical Device Regulations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
N Medical device name in different countries EU Medical Device Regulations 4