Meeting 100% compliance in wrist strap testing - ESD (Elecro-Static Discharge)

J

johnnybegood

I need advise how to go about meeting 100% compliance in wrist strap testing. It is stated in our procedure that all employee working on the shopfloor must have thier wrist strap tested daily. We have 3 wrist strap stations place at different location. The operator would test their wrist strap when entering the shopfloor which have no barricade, more like an open field which we call it 'blue zone'. I thought of placing the wrist strap station at each entry door but I was caution that it would cause traffic. There may be a way in automation but I believe it will be very costly. Any cheap and effective idea?

E Wall

Just Me!
Trusted Information Resource
Data Collection Method?

What are you using to collect the 'log' that verifies personnel have tested their grounding devices? I could provide suggestions based on that.

Alternatively, are your people wearing appropriate footwear, so you could start phasing protective flooring in for standing operations?

E

energy

Paint a picture

It's been awhile. Aren't the work benches grounded? Are the wrist straps grounded at the bench? Are the chairs gounded or on a conductive mat? Why can't the testing be accomplished at the work stations? Do you have static sensitive parts on the floor? Why worry about the wrist straps upon entering the dept? Are your parts transported in ESD approved containers/bags? Somebody just has to go to the work stations with a meter, no? I can't picture the the need to test wriststraps remote from the work bench unless employees are carrying ESD sensitive components from department to department without protecting the components first. Sorry I'm so confused.:eek: :smokin:

Last edited by a moderator:

E Wall

Just Me!
Requirements

ESD-S20.20-1999: 6.2.2.1 Personnel Grounding Requirements:

"All personnel shall be bonded or electrically connected to ground or contrived ground when handling ESD sensitive items. When personnel are seated at ESD protective workstations, they shall be connected to the common point ground via a wrist strap system.

6.2.2.2 Personnel Grounding Guidance:

"....A log should be maintained which verifies that personnel have tested their personal grounding devices. ...In addition, constant monitoring devices should be functionally checked periodically to ensure that they are operating as designed. ESD protective flooring, used with approved footwear, may be used as an alternative to the wrist strap system for standing operations.....

E

energy

Re: Requirements

Originally posted by E Wall
ESD-S20.20-1999: 6.2.2.1 Personnel Grounding Requirements:
"All personnel shall be bonded or electrically connected to ground or contrived ground when handling ESD sensitive items. When personnel are seated at ESD protective workstations, they shall be connected to the common point ground via a wrist strap system.

Nice recitation of the spec. Looks like you and me today, E:biglaugh: .
Why would the wrist straps be tested any where else except the workstations? Even disregarding the traffic in the doorway, why would you do it there? Are the parts on the floor?:bonk: Do you think by entering a department your charge "jumps" on things if you don't touch them? I'm just confused about testing straps remotely from the workstation. When you hook back up at the work point, how do you know you are grounded? :bonk: :smokin:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
For organizations dealing with electrostatic sensitive devices, applying the new ANSI ESD S20.20 Standard can improve the situation. From the ESDA website:

New 20.20 Electrostatic Discharge Control Program Standard Published

The ESD Association has approved and published a new standard covering the development of an ESD control program. Approved as an ANSI standard, ANSI/ESD S20.20-1999: Development of an Electrostatic Discharge Control Program covers the requirements necessary to design, establish, implement, and maintain an ESD control program to protect electrical or electronic parts, assemblies and equipment susceptible to ESD damage from Human Body Model (HBM) discharges greater than or equal to 100 volts.

Developed in response to the Military Standardization Reform Act, the new 20.20 is intended to be the commercial replacement for MIL-STD-1686. However, the Department of Defense has yet to act on the document.

The document can be downloaded, for free, from

http://www.esda.org/pdf_files/s2020std.pdf

DNV Certification was the first Registrar to attain accreditation through the ESDA Association to issue certificates to this Standard.

E

energy

I think?

johnnybegood appears to have a grasp of ESD protocols. He has a specific problem. In order to assist you have to know his set-up. Where does the protection begin and why? Of course, that's only my take on his post.:rolleyes: :smokin:

E Wall

Just Me!
Quote only

I offered up the quote in case anyone wasn't aware of the exact requirements. During our evaluation, we verified this does not apply to our plant so we aren't even using an ESD system. I keep a hardcopy, just in case....

I may be able to make some cost effective suggestions for automating collection of data from self-tests...but this too depends on his set-up (back to my first question in response).

I think the time delays in originators checking on their posts will happen quite frequently until at least mid Jan. Too many folks with holiday plans... After this Friday, I won't be back until Jan myself, and as it will be a busy month I don't expect to get caught up with all the posts here until late in the month.

Hope Ya'll have a great month! :)

E

energy

We'll miss you

Eileen,

Have a good one and come back like a ball of fire!!:bigwave: :smokin:

J

johnnybegood

The reason for testing the wrist-strap is to ensure they are in good working condition and data are log as per the requirement 6.2.2.2 Personnel Grounding Guidance. The wrist-strap ESD station is made of an ESD tester hook-up to a PC. Thus it is not feasible to install the ESD tester station on individual workstation beside cost, space is also a concern. Operator will then be ESD grounded by having the wrist-strap crocodile clip on the workbench/workstation. We have no issue with that but getting the employee testing the wrist strap is.

Top Bottom