Memorial Day thoughts - 2010

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Some here may not know I put up a message for Memorial Day and for Veterans Day in EONS every year.....I apologize for all the periods, but in EONS it is the style I have chosen and I wanted to share.

This year, I have had two encounters with folks that changed what I might usually do.....

First, I was on the flight from So Cal to DC that included the WASPS.....I met a couple of them.....

These were women that flew 72 different models of aircraft from the U.S. into both the European and Pacific Theaters during WWII.....and at times into hostile airspace.....when I had the priviledge to meet them they were what most would consider to be frail little old ladies.....yet their courage, humility, dedication, sacrifice, and Patriotism truly humbled me.....

Side note, I am thrilled that the airline (American) went WAY-Y-Y-Y out of their way to honor them.....I had never seen a water cannon salute till that day.....

Second, I had the priviledge to meet and talk with several Veterans from the Veterans Home in Barstow, CA.....the one I spoke to first was wearing a cap that displayed proudly that he was a "Cold War Veteran".....Cold Warriors (including me) are certainly not known to display that.....but I was able to talk to a few of them.....

This year, I think of the Veterans who served in the past.....not just the ones who paid with their lives, we all remember them.....I mean the ones who are surviving and may have had tremendous service.....

I treasure having met the WASPS, the Veterans from the Veterans Home, and a time previously when I had the priviledge to meet Tuskeegee Airmen.....

As we BBQ this upcoming weekend and justifiably remember those who have fallen.....how many of us are likely to seek out those who remain? To visit and learn? To let them cry for their fallen comrades and shipmates? To write down their stories so we can all remember?

This year, I encourage everyone to post memories.....yours, yes to be sure.....but if you know others, maybe theirs too.....

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: Memorial Day thoughts

It's funny how hot the Cold War got at times. :lol:

I've been to the Veteran's Home in Barstow many times myself. Up until a few years ago one of the residents was a lady who served as a nurse in WW1 in France, and survived a few artillery barrages and was injured herself I believe. She was 107 when she passsed away I think. Anyway I got to attend a ceremony in Barstow when France decorated her for her service. She was a lovely lady and fun to talk to.

Just over the last few years my father-in-law has started to talk about WW2 and Korea. Charlie landed in Africa with the 1st Infantry Division and actually fired on French troops who were shooting at the Americans at the early stages. Charlie survived Africa, Sicily where he got hit and was shipped home. In early 1944 Charlie was in England and on June 6th went ashore with the 29th Division on Omaha Beach and was later reassigned to another unit after getting wounded again in late summer 1944. Charlie walked his way across Europe until he got hit bad in April 1945 and spent 6 months in the hospital in France. Charlie stayed in Europe until early 1946 as part of the Occupation Forces.

In late 1950 Charlie found himself in Korea (he had stayed in the Army Reserve and was called up). Charlie was in Korea until 1952, got wounded again (his 4th time in 2 wars) and then went back to farming and building houses in Arkansas.

Charlie ended up with 2 Silver Stars, 6 Bronze Stars, 4 Purple Hearts, a whole bunch of Campaign Stars on his EAME Medal and 2 Combat Infantryman Badges along with a bucnh of other stuff for his efforts.

My nearly 90 year old father-in-law will tell you though that he is not a hero. Charlie says the heros are the guys he had to leave lying on the beaches, in the fields in Europe and along frozen mountain ridges in Korea.

I was honored to wear my uniform at dad's funeral,he was 65 . Dad served 25 years in the USAF. He was in Korea when I was born and served numerous tours in the Republic of South Viet Nam. It was his last tour that cause his early death. Dad was a casualty of chemical warfare...we soften it by calling it "Defoliation" other just say Agent Orange. Dad's last tour had him assigned as a 1st Sgt to the Wing performing the Operation Ranch Hand missions out of Phan Rang, among other things. Dad was diagnosed as terminal in Oct 1996 and we lost him in Jan 1997. It was fast.

Dad was a funny guy, and I think I wrote about him a couple of years ago. When he wasn't working, he and a couple other guys would go across the base and hitch rides either on Army Medi-Vacs or the support Gun-Ships to help get wounded off the battle field. We didn't know this until after dad died and we started going through his stuff and his former commander in VN told us the stories. Air Medals, Army Commendation Medals with "V" devices and other things that he had just placed aside. He was voluntarily going into hot LZ's helping Army troops, when he could have been at the club in air-conditioning, eating steaks, safley tucked away by barbed wire. He never said one word to anybody.

And to think dad had worried about me...I didn't do anything.

Hershal is right about the WASPS, I've known a few, just like I've know some Marine Codetalkers.

There's old Don who works as a volunteer Ambassador at the desk near gate 22 at DFW Terminal "D" on Sunday morning's. I see him all the time..Retired US Army Sgt Major, at least 90 years old and still tough as nails. WW2, Korea, VN, Special Forces, he did it all. He also volunteers at the USO in Terminal D and you can see in his eyes that he loves the kids and that he'd their place if he could......a hero in my book.

You guys enjoy the holiday, Charlie, Don, those WASPs, many, many others and my dad paid for it.

Top Bottom