Mercury is covered under RoHS but is not a substance of very high concern (SVHC) ?

T

tekno9000

The EU had issued a directive on the restriction of the use of Mercury (Hg) in electrical and electronic equipment (Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive or RoHS).

However, mercury is not listed as a substance of very high concern (SVHC) under the REACH Regulation. The SVHC list is published by the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA).

Can someone please explain why?

Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: Mercury is covered under RoHS but is not a substance of very high concern (SVHC)

Hi

I don't have any direct experience with REACH or SVHC; I have just gone through the Wikepedia entry on SVHC. It appears from the following quote "SVHCs are substances for which the current restrictions on use (where these exist) might be insufficient" from Wikepedia that as far as RoHS is sufficient to restrict the use of mercury, there is no need for including it in the SVHC list.

With kind regards,

Ramakrishnan

AnaMariaVR2

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Mercury is covered under RoHS but is not a substance of very high concern (SVHC)

You are right, mercury is not on the SVHC list:
http://echa.europa.eu/candidate-list-table

I don't know why is not SVHC listed & that is a very good question.
Maybe someone here can expand more on this.
Could it be a case of being in scope / out of scope for this particular list? Or maybe based on the nature of how is used, it is exempt from the SVHC but it is listed in a separate regulated fashion somewhere else. This is my speculation. I'm curious to hear this reason as well.

These are 2 interesting reports on mercury even though it does not answer your posted question:
-MERCURY FLOWS IN EUROPE AND THE WORLD: THE IMPACT OF DECOMMISSIONED CHLOR-ALKALI PLANTS
http://ec.europa.eu/environment/chemicals/mercury/pdf/report.pdf

-MERCURY FLOWS AND SAFE STORAGE OF SURPLUS MERCURY
http://ec.europa.eu/environment/chemicals/mercury/pdf/hg_flows_safe_storage.pdf
Maybe this sheds some light:
DIRECTIVE 2011/65/EU OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL
of 8 June 2011 on the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:174:0088:0110:en:pDF

Export-ban of mercury and mercury compounds from the EU by 2011
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?type=IM-PRESS&reference=20080516BRI29011&secondRef=ITEM-008-EN&format=XML&language=EN

If Mercury Pollution Knows No Borders, Neither Can Its Solution
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/13/business/energy-environment/if-mercury-pollution-knows-no-borders-neither-can-its-solution.html?_r=0

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Informational US FDA paper – Epidemiological Evidence on the Adverse Health Effects Reports in Relation to Mercury from Dental Amalgam: Systematic Literature Review Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R Traceability for Mercury Argon Calibration Source to Calibrate a Spectrometer? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Q How do I convert inches of mercury to pounds per foot Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
D How to Schedule Mercury-in-Glass Thermometer Calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 17
T New Environmental Legal Requirement - EPA has added mercury containing equipment Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 0
G What material would you use in extreme humidity and mercury vapor lighting? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 20
S Mercury in Glass Thermometer Uncertainty Budget Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
D Level of accuracy required for the calibration of glass mercury thermometers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
D CE Marking Requirements MDD & MDR - new product development covered under same scope EU Medical Device Regulations 1
G Electrical Safety standard for medical device not covered by IEC 60601 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
SATHYABALARAMAN What are the topics to be covered for Training the employee as per IATF 16949:2016 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Where are shipping & receiving processes covered under TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Is software developed for Internal Use covered by ISO 9001:2008 Sec 7.3? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A Should Intentional Misuse be covered in the Risk Analysis under ISO 62366? IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 3
M AS 9100 Transition Checklist to ensure all areas of the new REV C are covered AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
G NADCAP - How do I establish if a process is covered? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
T Are any specific VDA 6.3 clauses not covered under TS 16949 or vice versa VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
A DoC for Software Product - How can I identify the specific units that are covered? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
S Details to be covered under Equipment Qualification for Pharmaceutical Products? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
V Management Review - Not all items covered during quarterly review. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
Marc BMW Introduces GINA Concept Car, Covered In Fabric World News 0
Z The Recruitment Process - Covered under ISO 9001:2000? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J What should be covered in weekly Staff Meetings? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
D Where is Warranty covered in ISO 9001:2000? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D Is the Equipment for Measuring Process Parameters covered by ISO9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R Internal Audit Requirements - All clauses and subclauses covered over the audit cycle Internal Auditing 9
G TS 16949 Section 7.2.2 - Product Releases against Purchase Orders covered by clause? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Do IFU designs have to be document controlled under ISO 13485? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Class III Kit Box - Are translations mandatory under EU MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
H Incomplete IVD kit under IVD Regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Estimating the benefit-risk ration under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
F Is there such a thing as 'Critical supplier' status under the Dept. of Health (UK)? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
I Maintaining Technical Documentation under MDD and MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T API Q1 - Will I be able to maintain Q1 if I have products that fall under 6A Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
W Issuing reports under ISO 17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
JoCam Software Translation under MDR requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M MDR - Under what circumstances is a PMCF not required? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P Adding "new" medical device to existing CER - under MDD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
K Annex XVI Device Transition Timeline under the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N Medical Device Classification under MDR - Rule 21 EU Medical Device Regulations 11
U Do we need clinical trial data for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
R Breast Pump under MDR classified as medical device? EU Medical Device Regulations 9
E Under MDR is a medical workstation a medical device or an accessory? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
E Can we still use MEDDEV 2.4/1 rev. 9 when classifying a medical device product under MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C Sterility and Bioburden Testing - LAL passed under 0.5EU/mL Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
A EAR costs and recommendations under MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
M Informational EU – New notified body designated under the MDR – NB 2797 BSI Group The Netherlands B.V. Netherlands Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – New notified body designated under the MDR – NB 1912 – DARE!! Services B.V. – Netherlands Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Is my device a Reusable Surgical Instrument under the EU MDR(2017/745)? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0