Method for Calibration of Thread Plug Gauges

• Thread starter bakhtiar - 2009
  • Start date
B

bakhtiar - 2009

Is there any way that I can find the method to calibrate my thread plug gauge.

I intend to do it internally (in-house) but I don't have the outer diameter spec and the pitch spec for M2x0.4, M3x0.5 and M5x0.8 type

I wish to have a table of minimum and maximum spec forboth outer diameter and pitch diameter including the wire gauge diameter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Govind

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Calibration of Thread Plug Gauge

You may want to check Machinery handbook. I believe this book will have the required dimensions and tolerances. There is also a BS standard. You may find the standards reference in the book.

Here is a web page with various pitch diameter table.
Thread Pitch Diameter Table

If you purchase metric “3 wire set”, you can measure pitch diameter in house using your regular micrometer. (Low cost)

There are more sophisticated measuring equipments like horizontal/ Universal metroscope that can perform more precise measurements,floating carriage micrometers with fiducial indicators.
Regards,
Govind.

B

bakhtiar - 2009

Thanks Govind,

But still I have an enquiry.

Normal gauge will wear-and-tear and become worn out after long time usage. They would be a plus or minus on the specification. Please advice

Govind

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator

Thanks Govind,

But still I have an enquiry.

Normal gauge will wear-and-tear and become worn out after long time usage. They would be a plus or minus on the specification. Please advice
Yes, if you refer the machinery handbook, BS standards you will notice both manufacturing & Wear allowances for “Go” end and manufacturing allowance for “No Go end”.
Regards,
Govind.

Govind

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator

It has been over 20 years since I last did these calculations. I was not able to respond with specific details yesterday night.

Here is a webpage from one of the Indian manufacturer that I have used in the past. This page has lots of standards references.

Thread Standards

Basic Dimension refers to standards pertaining to thread dimensions
Gauging Practice refers to standards pertaining to gauge dimensions (manufacturing, wear allowances)

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Govind.

J

Jeff Frost

Is there any way that I can find the method to calibrate my thread plug gauge.

I intend to do it internally (in-house) but I don't have the outer diameter spec and the pitch spec for M2x0.4, M3x0.5 and M5x0.8 type

I wish to have a table of minimum and maximum spec forboth outer diameter and pitch diameter including the wire gauge diameter.
You first need to identify which standard gages have been procured to. British Standards for Gages differ from ANSI/ASME B1 Gage Standards used here in the United States. Also how much is your company willing to invest in inspection equipment and environmental controls to do this calibration?

You’re looking at a Super Mic, Master Gage Block of Grade 0.5 or 1 and a room with a controlled temperature of 68 Degrees F (20 C) for starters.

B

bakhtiar - 2009

Thanks for you all, Govind and Jeff.

The details is sufficient enough.:agree1:

Since I'm working with the Japanese company, they are using the JIS standard and I have a lot of trouble to refer on the standard since it has been written in Japanese.

Thanks to you all:agree::thanx:

Wayne

Gage Crib Worldwide
As usual I am late to the conversation, :cool: and this is an old conversation, but the question is still valid and the answers good. :)

I would like to add that the 3-wire method is THE way to calibrate thread plug gages. Thread wires are available in inexpensive 'sets' which do not use the "best wire" sizes. If you wish most accurate measurement the best wire size should be used to take the measurement. With the best wire size the wire is sized to touch the screw flanks at the pitch diameter cylinder. Here is a link to a list of best wire sizes and their constants. The inexpensive wires will more likely touch the flank angles at some point above or below the pitch diameter cylinder and in doing that will give a faulty measurement if the flank angles are out-of-tolerance or worn. By using the best wire size you will be using the same tool that a gage maker or calibration laboratory would use, and in doing so your measurement will more likely match the value that they would get if they measured the gage.

The gage standards give an amount of pressure to be used when measuring thread plug gages with thread wires. For a shop application with a micrometer it is unlikely that the pressure will be able to be controlled, so again there may be some discrepancy in the measurement between two people, but unless it is near the size limit of the thread gage the variation should be insignificant.

There are many styles of threads and each has their own standard. You may spend a small fortune in purchasing the official standards so that you can have the correct numbers to calibrate the gages. Once you own the standards you will spend another small fortune in reading them and doing the math required to determine the sizes and tolerances for each feature. I suggest thread engineering software to do this for you. The price of the software will be less than the price of the standards and on top of that much time will be saved by not doing the calculations. Here is a link for a Free 30-Day Trial of ThreadTech software. There are other brands of software which will work as well as ThreadTech. It is just the only one for which I have a link for a free trial.

I hope that you find this information interesting :bonk: well at least helpful. :rolleyes:

Wayne

Gage Crib Worldwide
I noted that I left out a very important item in screw thread plug gage calibration: Checking of the Major Diameter

Checking of the Major Diameter is a critical part of the calibration process because many times the GO Work Plug Screw Thread Gage Major Diameter will wear out before wear is apparent on the Pitch Diameter. This is because the cutting tool point wears out faster than the rest of the cutting tool. The cutting tool point does the most work, gets the most heat and has the least mass to dissipate that heat, thus it degrades most quickly. As the cutting tool wears the product thread major diameter gets smaller. As the product thread major diameter gets smaller it comes in contact with the GO gage major diameter and friction is created. The operator who is likely not interested in stopping his machine and changing his tooling, will use more effort to insert the GO gage into the product thread. The friction and the effort will speed the GO work plug screw thread gage major diameter wear. In this scenario the gage flank angles are not touching the product thread flank angles and are not being worn.

On a GO work plug gage the major diameter is a critical feature which must always be checked at calibration.
On a NOGO work plug gage the major diameter is a non-critical non-functional feature which never needs to be checked at calibration.

The NOGO work plug gage major diameter is a clearance diameter and does not do any work in the thread testing process, thus it should never wear out. Check it if you want, but if it is the FAIL that rejects a gage it was probably made incorrectly and not worn out.

BTW: The reverse of above is true for the ring gage minor diameter.

Here is a web page which provides explanation about the relationship of the major and minor diameter of product screw threads compared to gage screw threads.

I hope that this helps someone understand the reason for calibration these features of the thread gages.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
You first need to identify which standard gages have been procured to. British Standards for Gages differ from ANSI/ASME B1 Gage Standards used here in the United States. Also how much is your company willing to invest in inspection equipment and environmental controls to do this calibration?

You’re looking at a Super Mic, Master Gage Block of Grade 0.5 or 1 and a room with a controlled temperature of 68 Degrees F (20 C) for starters.
CAn you help me and provide an official standard that stipulates the controlled temperature of 68 Degree F (20 C) is required for a small machine shop.

Most of the shops use the same temperature that the master and instruments are used - therefore avoiding the 24 hrs waiting period for both metals to be at 68 degree F ( as recommended in a 1931 british study. However, that test was done so that manufactures around the world can provide the same results in master gage block during manufacturing.

Thanks

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S NPT Thread Calibration Method - NPT Taper Thread Plug Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
B Dosimeter Calibration Method General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
L ISO 17025 Para. 5.4.5 - Method (Calibration Procedure) Validation Requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
C One Inch Micrometer Calibration Method General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Fixed Point Temperature Cells Calibration Method General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N Calibration Method of Dial Thermometer Gauges General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
K Validation of an Analytical Method that relies on Multi-Variate Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
A Calibration Method and Measurement Uncertainty General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D Calibration Process - What do they mean by "Check Method"? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
T ISO 17025 Clause 5.4.2 - Calibration and Test Method Requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
D Calibration Method for Small Surface Plates (6" x 6") General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
M Sorvall 100S Centrifuge Calibration - SOP (Method and Procedure) Needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Q Does this calibration method of a specific fixture make sense? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
Mohammed Gouda Calibration of Load Cells in devices by a comparison method General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
V Calibration method for a Neptune 10 Water Meter General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
B Planekator Calibration Method Details - Calibration of a Surface Plate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
V Internal Scale and Balance Calibration Method Tolerances and Limits General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
T Basis for Calibration Method and Intervals (Frequency) - FAA approved repair station Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 10
Icy Mountain ISO/TS 16949 Compliant Calibration Method - Laboratory Calibration Levels IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
K Calibration method for Torque Wrench & AC gas leakage Tester General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M Calibration Method According to ISO Guide 25 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
T Anyone have an example of a calibration method validation procedure? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
E Mentor for Test Method Validation (TMV) Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
earl62 IATF 16949 Clause 9.1.1.1 - What is the batch conformance to specification method? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Beginners help with ISO3951-2 Combined control s-method n>5 what is Phi ?? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
S What is the best method to bond urethane foam to urethane foam? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
R BS EN 12060:1998 - Zinc and zinc alloys Method of sampling Specifications Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
M Test method validation - Is MSA (MSA1, MSA2, MSA3 and linearity) a good solution? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
Pau Calvo How to motivate colleagues to use 8D method or similar Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 37
M Proper method to test flow of a regulator Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
V Minitab GRR crossed Xbar and r method macro needed Using Minitab Software 7
R Please share your method used for PEMS Validation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
S AS9100D PEAR - Examples for organization's method for determining process results? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Y Post Market Surveillance Indicators and Analysis method EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Seeking efficient method to manage install base data Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
D 4M (Man, machine, method, materials) Management Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Ron Rompen Measurement Method Challenge - Measure feature #91 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
C FDA on changing acceptance criteria re: analytical method validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Issuing NCR for improper method statement submissions Internal Auditing 10
F Irradiation Sterilization Validation Maximum Dose - VDmax 25 method (ISO 11137) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
I "Method" vs "Process" - Differences Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 33
P Test Method Validation for Tensile Strength Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
C ICP versus AA: How to determine appropriate specification for assay method verification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
I Flatness - Rectangular part using the three jack method Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
B AS9102 Supplier Flow Down Method AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
M Control Method correspondence between PFMEA and CP FMEA and Control Plans 8
qualprod Qualitative or Quantitative? Risk method evaluation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Ron Rompen Dual level holes - Measurement method suggestions wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
D Sampling method that is representative of the devices supplied by that distributor EU Medical Device Regulations 5