Method of Monitoring our Internally Produced Non-Conforming Products

CHRSCLLNGS

Involved In Discussions
Good Morning all, I am currently looking for some way of monitoring our internally produced non-conforming products (We are a CNC machine shop). We currently use an excel macro'd sheet to record everything but the data is questionable and able to be manipulated by the person entering the data (approximately 15 lines per week)

Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions as to a software/template that has been successfully used?
Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Any person who enters data will enter what they want, no matter how sophisticated the system. Is there a specific problem you're trying to address? Do you have evidence that the data in the current spreadsheet is bad? What does customer feedback shows you? A little (or a lot) more information would be helpful.

K

kearnj

What about password protect your excel spreadsheet and only have it accessible to authorized users, such as the NCR/CAR Coordinator?
I'd be interested in such a spreadsheet if you're willing to share. My company is running a homegrown green screen database that only allows for the reporting of scrap, so I need an excel-based log in the interim.

Dr. IJ Arora

Involved In Discussions
Kearnj, has offered an option. My simpler recommendation is to make your excel worksheet, macro controlled, so that once data is entered it can not be deleted or changed without reference to the authorized person, perhaps the QM.

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions
I do keep a spreadsheet for this, it is not that the data can be "changed" as much as the data is subjective, based on the perspective of the person entering it. Our sheet allows entries by numerous people, since there are many places where this can occur, and I want to capture it at the source, or at least at the discovery. The waterjet operator may blame the issue on fixturing in the jet (it might have moved), or a bad dxf from engineering, or a clog in the abrasive line, while someone else may see a kerfing issue, or a material problem . I might see it as a lack of engineering/manufacturing review. There are numerous "causes" when it comes to scrap and rework, and much is in the eye of the beholder. Nailing down some hard and fast rules is the essence of a consistent data stream.

japayson

Involved In Discussions
It sounds like the data you are in doubt of is a recorded "cause" for a defect report. I suggest there is a mistake expecting someone on the floor observing a defective unit, to then supply a cause to it. As you point out, there are differing opinions. To me this means you should be collecting the data on the objective nature of the defects, and depending upon what the data show, focus your efforts on finding root conditions for prioritized defects.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The person reporting nonconforming product doesn't need to know the cause at the moment that is being reported. I'd record what is wrong, at what point you detected the nonconformity, any containment action, who reviewed and dispositioned it, and what that disposition was. Then, as a team, determine the cause - it might be very obvious, it might require root cause investigation.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Biological Monitoring Program Environmental Bioburden Test Method Needed ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Monitoring and Measurement of Finished Goods with a Better Method IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Q Sampling method for Distributor verification activities EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Test Method Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
E Mentor for Test Method Validation (TMV) Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
earl62 IATF 16949 Clause 9.1.1.1 - What is the batch conformance to specification method? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Beginners help with ISO3951-2 Combined control s-method n>5 what is Phi ?? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
S What is the best method to bond urethane foam to urethane foam? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
R BS EN 12060:1998 - Zinc and zinc alloys Method of sampling Specifications Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
M Test method validation - Is MSA (MSA1, MSA2, MSA3 and linearity) a good solution? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
Pau Calvo How to motivate colleagues to use 8D method or similar Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 37
M Proper method to test flow of a regulator Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
V Minitab GRR crossed Xbar and r method macro needed Using Minitab Software 9
R Please share your method used for PEMS Validation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
S AS9100D PEAR - Examples for organization's method for determining process results? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Y Post Market Surveillance Indicators and Analysis method EU Medical Device Regulations 1
silentmonkey Seeking efficient method to manage install base data Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
D 4M (Man, machine, method, materials) Management Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Ron Rompen Measurement Method Challenge - Measure feature #91 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
C FDA on changing acceptance criteria re: analytical method validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Issuing NCR for improper method statement submissions Internal Auditing 10
F Irradiation Sterilization Validation Maximum Dose - VDmax 25 method (ISO 11137) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
I "Method" vs "Process" - Differences Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 33
P Test Method Validation for Tensile Strength Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
C ICP versus AA: How to determine appropriate specification for assay method verification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
I Flatness - Rectangular part using the three jack method Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
B AS9102 Supplier Flow Down Method AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
M Control Method correspondence between PFMEA and CP FMEA and Control Plans 8
qualprod Qualitative or Quantitative? Risk method evaluation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Ron Rompen Dual level holes - Measurement method suggestions wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
D Sampling method that is representative of the devices supplied by that distributor EU Medical Device Regulations 5
P Production Line Pump Cleaning Validation Method Question Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
A Risks related to Method Validation and Stability Studies Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
qualprod ISO 9001 Risk control method - What could be the better way to control risks? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Ron Rompen Ford Method - Position Capability with MMC Modifier Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
J Inspection method for T10 Hex driver General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
qualprod ISO 9001:2015 - Right method to address clause 6.1? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
S Stakeholder analysis Method Six Sigma 1
T ER Checklist - Method(s) of conformity EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T ISO 17025 Method Verification - One sided “F” test or two sided “F” test ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
B Dosimeter Calibration Method General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A Test method for presence or absence of hexavalent chromium on a metal coating RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
S Response Surface Method to create design matrix in Minitab Using Minitab Software 5
T Method to assess Measurement System of a Continuous Process Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
G HPLC Method Equivalence between USP and EP Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
S Test Method Validation or MSA for Batch Manufacturing Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
A Test Method Validation on Elongation Machine General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B Gage R & R on Visual Inspection using the Cross Tabulation Method IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
C O-Ring Groove Measurement Method in CNC Machined Parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9