"Method" vs "Process" - Differences

ISO_Man

Involved In Discussions
I've been considering addressing some of my processes with the concept of "method" as opposed to "process" - I've been advised that a method does not need to be in a document - BUT - the burden of proof for a method is more difficult for an internal audit team to verify as EACH member of the team needs to provide the same answer if audited to indicate that the method is - in fact -the way that they do business. Any experience with this?

John Predmore

Trusted Information Resource
I found a link to a previous discussion on method vs procedure.

Other ways to standardize a method might be a flowchart, a videotape, a series of photos or illustrations. But I suppose these are simply alternative forms of documented information.

AndyN

Moved On
A method and a process aren't synonymous in my understanding. A process transforms inputs to outputs. Take cooked eggs. The method used gives different results. The results are defined by what was planned. Internal auditors shouldn't have any issues understanding this, unless they aren't competent...

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Method and process are different. If to put a button is a method, putting on a shirt is a process. Method can be documented, however its more robust if the method can be justified by the competency and training record, along with the actual method demonstration.
There could be many methods to put on a shirt as you can imagine. What suits you is the sequence of methods you choose to put on the shirt, which can be better documented. Hope I did not confuse you.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Process is work by humans who may be aided by machines or animals.

Our brain work may result in AI (machines) taking more of a lead as in work by machines aided by humans.

Method or procedure is the way the work is done.

We confuse ourselves when we say process and procedure as if they are synonymous.

Mark Meer

...I've been advised that a method does not need to be in a document...

Given the method vs. process examples in this thread, I don't know how you can separate the two and not document methods.

If methods are integral to the outcome of processes, then wouldn't documenting them be critical to the control of the process?

AndyN

Moved On
I don't know how you can separate the two and not document methods.

Let's take an example which will illuminate why the 2 don't always go together:

Making a cake is a process which transforms inputs, eggs, sugar, butter and flour into a baked cake. Within the process - combining butter and sugar and whipping, adding beaten egg, folding in the flour - the mixture can "split" where the egg isn't incorporated fully. Competent bakers will recognize this and, as part of a method to recover this, add a spoonful of four. Rarely, if ever, is this situation mentioned in the (documented) recipe. Competency is how its covered.

Mark Meer

...Making a cake is a process which transforms inputs, eggs, sugar, butter and flour into a baked cake. Within the process - combining butter and sugar and whipping, adding beaten egg, folding in the flour - the mixture can "split" where the egg isn't incorporated fully. Competent bakers will recognize tis and, as part of a method to recover this, add a spoonful of four. Rarely, if ever, is this situation mentioned in the (documented) recipe. Competency is how its covered.

I see where you're going, but the problem is if you have a lot of bakers making a lot of cakes, and some come out of the oven of lesser quality, how could you ever diagnose if this was due to bakers applying this method (or how they applied it - how much extra flour they added), if neither the method, or the use of it is documented?

Top Bottom