Methods for determining Supplier Capacity in various industries

S

SQE2010

Hello everyone,

I am so glad I found this forum. It's treasure of information. I am looking for methods, metrics, or procedures various industries use in determining a supplier's capacity when choosing a supplier. I was looking more toward OEM or tier 1 companies in the industrial electronics, consumer electronics, medical device, and heavy industrial sectors. Anyone have this information on hand? Does anyone know where I can find this information?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
U

Umang Vidyarthi

Hello everyone,

I am so glad I found this forum. It's treasure of information. I am looking for methods, metrics, or procedures various industries use in determining a supplier's capacity when choosing a supplier. I was looking more toward OEM or tier 1 companies in the industrial electronics, consumer electronics, medical device, and heavy industrial sectors. Anyone have this information on hand? Does anyone know where I can find this information?
Hello SQE2010, :bigwave:Welcome to the Cove:bigwave:

Find attached 'Supplier assessment Tool kit'. I am also attaching a very good proceedure on 'Supplier Quality Requirement'.

Hope this helps

Umang :D

Attachments

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello everyone,

If you are your potential supplier get transparent on the OEE document that the supplier might have, and discuss the details, then two things get clear.
1. You will know that this supplier has a method to assess his capacity and that his available capacity is based on some rationale.
2. Depending upon your requirement you can assess how much portion of your load you can place on this supplier.

S

SQE2010

What about the OEE metrics that companies use when determining a supplier to source business to. Where would I find the the OEE metrics that Panasonic, Hewlett-Packard, John Deere, Boston Scientific, etc. use. What are their OEE metrics when they assess a supplier's capacity?

U

Umang Vidyarthi

What about the OEE metrics that companies use when determining a supplier to source business to. Where would I find the the OEE metrics that Panasonic, Hewlett-Packard, John Deere, Boston Scientific, etc. use. What are their OEE metrics when they assess a supplier's capacity?
Nothing speaks better than money (returns). Without the returns on investments (ROI) all the metrics and paperwork have only cosmetic effect, period.

Here is an article on 'OEE Metrics Reveal Return on Investment' by Rob Spiegel. Also find attached a white paper on the subject.

Hope this provide more clarity.

Umang :D

Attachments

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
You really have to go out and ask them and try understanding their approach towards supplier capacity assessment. But then, why look for that ... ?
You device your own system to make assessment and it almost always has to be custom made based on information gathered from your potential suppliers. The more you know what to ask, the better it starts working well for you. Derive as much from your potential supplier's information system to make your analysis.

S

SQE2010

You really have to go out and ask them and try understanding their approach towards supplier capacity assessment. But then, why look for that ... ?
You device your own system to make assessment and it almost always has to be custom made based on information gathered from your potential suppliers. The more you know what to ask, the better it starts working well for you. Derive as much from your potential supplier's information system to make your analysis.
I agree. But my VP has requested that we find out what other companies are doing as far as assessing supplier capacity. Would these companies be open in sharing their methods for determining supplier capacity?

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
Tough one. I think most fib a bit!! Look at missed deliveries when you perform an SAA, look closely at how capacity is figured (Key area to understand). Yuo would be surprised at how many way companies look at and figure this.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Choosing Supplier Evaluation Methods - Determining what a Critical Supplier is Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 31
Tagin Evaluating nonconformances for escalation using Bayesian methods? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
BeaBea ISO 9001 Customer Feedback Methods - What has worked for your company? Service Industry Specific Topics 16
S High voltage testing - ISO 17025 - 7.2.2 Validation of methods and 7.3 Sampling ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
R IEC 60601-1 - Different methods of achievement of the isolation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
S IVF medical devices standards and test methods Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
S EU MDR Annex XIV - Clinical Evaluation Plan - What do these methods mean? EU Medical Device Regulations 12
O Software development plan : development methods IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
A Validation of Calibration Methods and Traceability - ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
M Informational US – National Evaluation System for Health Technology Coordinating Center (NESTcc) Solicits Public Comments for Data Quality and Methods Frameworks Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L SPC: Methods to collect data IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
N Control plan evaluation methods - Which methods should be carried over from the PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 3
D Do Test Methods completed to a standard require validation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Q Methods to Calculate Available Production Rate ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
M Methods of reducing/eliminating the systematic component of error General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
S Methods to reduce relative humidity in Datacenter IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
K Alternate Control Methods (IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3.6.1) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
H ISO13485:2016 Measurement System - Methods General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Non-destructive testing methods are special processes? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
S CAPA Investigation Methods Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A Monitoring and Measurement Methods ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
R OSHA - How often an employee needs to be Re-Trained on Safety Methods Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
Ron Rompen Sintered Metal Machined Parts Rust Removal Methods Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
B Gage R&R MSA - Variation, Tolerance, Variance by different methods IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
X Acceptable methods to store and archive records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Rapid screening methods for antibiotic residues in Chicken Meat Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
J Software and Methods for Tracking CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) items US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
A What are methods and tools to measure Workload analysis ? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 1
Q Management Review - Alternative methods Management Review Meetings and related Processes 20
Gman2 Control of Records - Lets talk about modern methods Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 5
R Gage Identification Methods in a Job Shop Calibration Frequency (Interval) 8
K Control Plan vs PFMEA Control Methods FMEA and Control Plans 1
S Consolidation of Testing Methods Using Minitab Software 3
G Visual Inspection of Machined Parts - Best Methods Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
E Methods in Measuring Angles or Checking Angles for tools? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
O Automotive Physical Testing Methods (Norms) and Requirements Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
M Practical Methods using Sampling by Variables Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M Are 'Error Proofing Methods' required to be mentioned in Control Plans? FMEA and Control Plans 7
D Hotplate Temperature Verification Methods General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S Methods used for Preservation of Salmonella Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 5
T Paper Quality Manual Change Control Methods Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
M PhD Thesis Data Statistical Analysis Methods Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
H Methods to Ensure that we are Purchasing what we've Designed Benchmarking 16
M Difference B/W Calibration Methods & SOPs General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
drgnrider Internal Auditor Evaluation Methods ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
kedarg6500 Surface Finish Measurement Methods Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
Mikey324 Testing Methods to Qualify Operators (Measuring Devices) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
B Best Methods for conducting Shadowgraph MSA Studies Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
K R&R, Cpk, Cgk - What is the difference between methods and what method is used? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
R Control Methods for Helpdesk Reporting Service Industry Specific Topics 1