Methods in Measuring Angles or Checking Angles for tools?

E

Edgarf

I have a tool that needs angle to be calibrated,i have attached a simple drawing.
Can anyone give their ideas on checking angles for tools?

I've tried calculating the measurements in reverse,although i was able to get the angle,I want to know how the experts do it.

Thanks for replies.

Attachments

• New Doc 3_1.jpg
    New Doc 3_1.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 227

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
CMM, optical Comparator, Sine Bar or angle blocks...just depends on the budget and availability. Biggest problem? Getting your 10:1 resolution at 0.01 degree. Need to measure at .001 degree. That is incredibly tight. I guess it is about 4 seconds (angular) resolution.

I

iamtroll

If you really mean calibration and not just measurement, you would probably use an autocollimator and also the angle surface for flatness with an optical flat.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
The digital protractors from Insize only have a 0.1 degree resolution. Even those are not "good enough".

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
It is best to you can measure directly, if possible. You eliminate possible calculation error. Every calcualtion and additional measurement step is a potential, additive probability of cause for error.

normzone

Out of curiosity, does the application require this degree of precision to develop the end result as desired, or is the nominal and tolerance a result of having an available stockpile of decimal places?

BradM

Leader
Admin
It is best to you can measure directly, if possible. You eliminate possible calculation error. Every calculation and additional measurement step is a potential, additive probability of cause for error.

That's true. Good points.

However... sometimes we take what we can get. :D

I had a task of verifying a tool once with lengths and angles. I didn't have the correct equipment to accurately measure the angles. I could measure the lengths fairly accurately. It wasn't the best process, but it sufficed. :)

David-D

Involved In Discussions
I tHink the first question that really needs to be asked is how big is the part? Is it 1 inch? 1 foot? 1 mil? Depending on the size/scale its going to be a significantly different problem. Also, what is the shape of the tool? Rectangular (w/ a flat reference surface)? Round/cylindrical? I'd think it makes a big difference trying to make the measurement. Also, for all the accuracy being called for, I'm a bit surprised it isn't specified with GD&T.

David

Top Bottom